Advice re disk space

teecee

I have just DL and installed The Netherlands. and to be honest I had not realised  the size of this program when I bought it (I still love it though) but my question is  this. I Have a twin SSD  Raid Array for my sim, it's 400Gig, and the new  Netherlands has brought my free space down to 70 Gig.. I am hanging out for the  new Aus due out some time this year and my question is this, will the basic new Aus take up much more HD space that the existing model? Teecee.

Hi TeeCee

Keep in mind, that even if the new Australia final install is under 70gb, Orbx products still need initially up to 3x the file size to download, extract and install, and you will still need at least 10% free space left on your SSD for it to perform properly. Personally, at this stage of the game I would be investing in a 2TB SSD and be done with it for a while.  :)

Cheers

Doug

10 minutes ago, teecee said:

of  course I will be removing the original files surely?

Yes, I am sure that will be the case, and the existing Australia is under 3gb, so you should be able to get by with 70gb for a bit. So even (for example only) the new Australia is 10gb, you would need approx 30gb to initially install. And then trying to install anything significant after that would probably be looking for headaches.  :)

Doug

the only issue the price of 2tb ssd  US$ 760, -  Euro 650,-

maybe a cheaper option is to use an empty 500 gb ssd, which is much cheaper and use this ssd for downloading and extracting

files, so the main p3d disk is only used for real needed scenery files.

I tried exactly this with my Netherlands TE install and it wouldn't work for me, but I experienced very good fast results when I put my temp folder on the same SSD that my P3Dv4 is on....also, a very reputable source informed me that Win10 is by far the worse OS for file management in this regard, and putting the temp folder on the same drive the sim is on is ideal for preventing big headaches. 

Archived