787 Takes Off!!!!

Martin Henare

Sort of....  ;D

http://blog.seattlepi.com/airlinereporter/archives/188081.asp?from=blog_last3

High speed take off roll with nose off the ground.

Boeing have officially announced the first flight to be on 15 December at 10am

http://www.boeing.com/

Its long time coming, but this is the most revolutionary aircraft to have been build in the last few decades.

Marty,

You almost gave me a heart attack! I saw the thread title and thought "OH NO, I MISSED IT!"  Of course, the "sort of" settled me back down. Thanks for the cool link. I plan on watching it live through the boeing site on Tuesday (I hope). Does anyone have any information about doing that?

Stephen

Yes but didn't Boeing laugh itself silly when the A380 was delayed with the wire harness problem, and now they are two years behind.

However from the simmers point of view the flight deck will get simpler and simpler:  these aircraft are too expensive to run to leave it to human pilots.

Good video of high speed taxi tests.  I was fortunate to see the 777 first flight years ago while on vacation to WA.  My brother-in-law worked for Boeing (since retired) as a quality control inspector on new 747's so we got excellent viewpoint at Paine field.

The 787 replaces the 767, and fits in the gap between 737-900/A321 and 777/A340 so initially "competes" with A330s. But in the long term the alternative will be the A350 XWB which will replace the A330 and A340. the XWB will efectively compete with 787 and 777.

Four engine aircraft will be the territory of only the very large aircarft A380 and 747-8 (which is expected to fly around Dec 20ish)The extra weight and maintenance of 4 engines has been easily overcome with the power and reliablility of modern engine design. So expectthe vast majority of airliners to be twins from now on

So the A vs B competition will be

B737-600/700/800/900 vs A319/320/321 Until both develop there next gen single aisle aircraft in about 2020

B787-8/9/3 vs A350-800/900/1000

B777 vs A350-1000

B747-8 vs A380

An intereesting  piece of info a light 777 can accelerate  0-60 mph in under 6 seconds. Most cars can't do that

What is the do-dad trailing behind from the top tail fin?

Its a small paracute used for testing. Test flights often involve all many of bits and pieces added here and there to they can make measurements and us as a visual indicator or airflow and the like.

that is a training cone for static pressure measurements. It is extending in flight to trail outside of the wake of the aircraft to get an undisturbed static pressure measurement free from local position effects that you would have from static pressure measurements on the airframe (these you will see on both sides of the fuselage around the nose under the cockpit area, pilot / copilot & standby ). You calibrate your air data system using these trailing cone measurements. It is absolutely essentially for performance measurements - without such instrumentation you cannot accurately assess the static pressure and so neither altitude, speed (mach) etc.

A mate of mine is a helicopter pilot that has a "stable cam" type device in his helicopter and followed the 787 the whole way taking video in an as350, if I can get him to upload the footage I will post a link.

NZEddy:  I am sorry to be a smart....

But was the 787 'airborn"  or "airborne".  One way or the other I guess both are true.

Don't worry, recently I left the 'l' out of public in a fairly important letter.  I am waiting for the complaints or the congratulations to come in.

From Nelson originally,

Archived