Questions about Orbx vs iBlueYonder KACK

billhuntsman

I purchased KACK from iBlueYonder a while back.  I have seen the instructions for migrating my purchase to Orbx and noted the need for the purchase # info for the migration form.  I have also noted the files that need to be deleted when switching to the Orbx version of KACK.   Before I migrate KACK to Orbx, I have some questions about the process.

1) How is the current Orbx version of KACK different from the iBlueYonder version?

2) It seems that if I plan to use the Orbx version of KACK, I have to uninstall the iBlueYonder version before doing the migration.  Is that correct?

3) Are there any special xml files that must be removed for KACK?  The files described in the announcement instructions seem to be for Plum Island.

Thanks.

That's not quite true. You will need to delete the SODE XML file for Nantucket as well if you had a previous iBlueYonder version. It's in C:\ProgramData\12bPilot\SODE\xml. You can delete it or just give it a new extension.

To tack on to this, is that only for P3D or is that also for the Xplane version as well? Not much of a Xplane user but I have the ACK for both. I've converted my iBY purchases to Orbx but have only installed the KACK XP using the FTXC app. I might or might not convert my P3D ACK but nice to know its ready if or when I do.

3 hours ago, Kilstorm said:

To tack on to this, is that only for P3D or is that also for the Xplane version as well? Not much of a Xplane user but I have the ACK for both. I've converted my iBY purchases to Orbx but have only installed the KACK XP using the FTXC app. I might or might not convert my P3D ACK but nice to know its ready if or when I do.

The XP version doesn't have any enhancements over the original KACK, Nathan. It's okay to either uninstall and use the Orbx version, or just stick with the original. Same-same.

8 minutes ago, Kilstorm said:

Thanks for the reply Bill. Thats what I thought so I just installed it in FTXC without uninstalling KACK in Xplane and it seemed to like that without issue.

That might end up giving you two overlapping copies of the same thing, Nathan. Probably best to install either one or the other. The folder names are different, so it's possible to have them both acgtive in XP at once, which does nothing but ding your performance.

I deleted it after noticing that I was missing some runway edge lights.  To this day I still cant believe how great this airport looks at night in XP. Day time too but at night it reminds me of all the times I use to fly in the Cape Air planes Co-Pilot seat.

Archived