FTX Vector P3D V4.2 Airport elevation issues

Loadhaul

Hello,

After purchasing FTX Vector for P3D 4.2 I'm very disappointed see that many default airports are experiencing elevation problems. For example Gladstone airport in Australia. I've tried running the elevation fix from the control panel as well as acknowledging I have FTX Australia installed. Though this has made no difference at all to any airports I have noticed experience this glitch. Is there any solutions to this issue? Running FTX Global, FTX AU, FTX Vector, HD Trees.

Can you search your PC for the ICAO code and see what else you might have 

for this airport?

In particular in scenery\world\scenery.

There is only one FTX file, a vector file, ABP_YGLA.bgl which has no effect.

We should be both looking at a default airport, I am wondering if yours is not?

Can you attach a copy of your scenery.cfg file please?

I can't seem to find that file, just to note though, its not just Gladstone, I've seen the issue at most airports I visit. Could it possibly be caused by FTX Vector elevation fix tool not having proper authority to make changes in P3D? 

I think it far more likely that there is a problem with your scenery library.

As I mentioned, Vector does nothing to Gladstone airport and it is a default airport.

The problem therefore seems to lie with the simulator or its configuration.

If Vector is not checked in the scenery library, it is effectively uninstalled.

However, 

There is only one FTX file, a vector file, ABP_YGLA.bgl which has no effect.

so you could just rename that to ABP_YGLA.bgl.off and there will be no Vector or FTX files at all.

It does seem that the problem lies with P3D as you state that it is widespread.

A final test would be to untick all your FTX scenery, leaving just the default P3D scenery active

and see if the anomalies are still there.

So I deleted FTX Vector which fixed the problem, however that's not the solution unfortunately.

-With FTX Vector (Airport covered around with a ditch.

-Without FTX Vector (Airport elevation is correct at Gladstone and also KSEA airport shown)

Obviously though, FTX Vector makes every thing look tons better; like any Orbx product.

2018-3-18_19-11-8-258.jpg

2018-3-18_19-16-5-577.jpg

@Nick Cooper and @Loadhaul

Hi Nick and Loadhaul,

This seems to be a compatibility issue with the default airport APX file, or possibly a corrupt APX file, and is similar to the recent issues encountered with KJAX and YBUD.  I had a thought it would be as Gladstone airport info was contained in the same APX file as Bundaberg (although it turned out to be the OBX file which was the problem for Bundaberg).  The APX file which seems to be causing the issue is the P3D V4.1 and P3DV4.2 "APX88400.bgl" which can be found at:

".....Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Scenery\1105\scenery\APX88400.bgl"

I just swapped out the APX file for a P3D V4.0 version (a P3DV3.4 version will also work as they are the same) and the result was the elevation issue was gone.  I had the same issue with KJAX and surrounding airports, and swapping the APX file for that had the same result.

Loadhaul, if you could list which airports you have issues with, the conflicting APX files may be able to be identified.  

The APX file for YBUD and YGLA also holds airport info for YMTO - Monto, YBRK - Rockhampton, YTNG - Thangool.

Also, Loadhaul, please try swapping the APX file mentioned above (APX88400.bgl) for the one I attach to this post  Make sure to back up the original first (just add .off to the end of it).  You should then be able to reinstall/activate Vector, and the issue with Gladstone should be gone.

With P3DV4.1 or P3D V4.2 APX88400.bgl

2018-3-18_20-33-2-148.jpg

With P3DV4.0 or P3D V3.4 APX88400.bgl

2018-3-18_20-43-21-928.jpg

Cheers,

APX88400.bgl

Hello,

you could resolve this yourself by rolling back the P3D scenery installation to version 4.0.

There is virtually nothing changed between the versions except these airports.

As we have been waiting over a year for the Vector 1.60 update, it seems most unlikely that

this problem will even be addressed any time soon.

19 minutes ago, Loadhaul said:

Hi, thanks for the resolution, though this solves this airport, I don't think it will solve it at every airport. My question is will this be fixed by Orbx eventually? Once it is I'd be happy to reinstall Vector.

If you come across any other airports which are affected please just let us know.  You can start a new thread, which may be better as you can include the airport name in the title.   It may be that Lockheed Martin have unintentionally changed files which have resulted in these errors.  We will need to inform them of these altered files so they can repair them in future P3D updates, if in fact it turns out there is a problem with them.

Cheers,

Archived