Using 2 drives need help P3D

Stratocruiser

I just installed P3D v4.1 on my SSD C drive, but it is only a 250 GB drive, so I want to store my Orbx scenery on my D HHD, which is 1 TB. I have read some posts about storing the Orbx files on a separate drive from the drive where P3D is installed, but cant quite figure out how to do that. I know that I have to create a file called ORBX on the D drive. The posts I have read say to create a link from the Orbx file in my P3D files to fool the download and install the files on the D drive, but I do not know how to do that. Some posts call it a link, others call it a short cut, but none tell just how to do that. Can someone please post a step by step on just how to do that for this dummy?

Thanks

Howard

The following assumes you have installed Prepard3D in the root of the C: drive
If not you will have the alter the path in the mklink line below

Step1    Copy entire Orbx Directory to the root of your D: drive

Step2    Rename your original Orbx directory to Orbx_old (this is a safety measure)

Step3    Run Windows DOS Command prompt as Administrator
              Type or Copy/Paste the following
              mklink /j "C:\Prepar3Dv4\ORBX" "D:\ORBX"

Once you are sure everything is working as expected you can delete the Orbx_old folder

I just installed P3Dv4.1 on my C drive, which is a small SSD of only 225 GB. I want to have Central install the Orbx regions and airfield files, and I have purchased all regions , Global Base, Vector, and some airfields so there are a lot of them,  on my much larger HHD of 1 TB called D drive. I have seen a couple of posts about this, but I cant seem to make it work. I have created a file called ORBX on my D drive, but don't know how to make a link or shortcut to it from the ORBX file in my P3Dv4.1 program. Can someone please give this dummy a step by step set of directions to do this?

Thanks

Howard

think that is better to install P3D also on a larger drive , I am sure that 250 gb is to less in future , better to put windows on drive C

and prepar3d on drive D to start with 500gb with can be extended to 1TB if needed in future.

beside orbx also other addons will take much space.

rgds.

Archived