Adding Freeware Scenery to NRM

Rowcoach

Good afternoon,

I've been spending most of the day trying to figure out how to add a freeware scenery to an airport in NRM - specifically CYEG (Edmonton).

If I run the airport as is - without enabling NRM, all seems to work out as it should - providing I remove the elevation correction file from Scenery/World/Scenery and disable AEC. If I fun FSX with both the new CYEG and NRM enabled, I get what seems to be about 80% of the airport showing - the runway and most of the main terminal show, but most of the other building are missing.

What is the best way to replace an airport in NRM? I am assuming the ADX and object files need to be removed from the NRM scenery folder. I tried that, but it didn't seem to help.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,

Colin

Hi Colin,

generally speaking, deactivating the .bgl files with the airport's ICAO (usually three) in the Region's "_SCENERY\Scenery" folder, plus the ADE_FTX_{...}_{ICAO}_elevation_adjustment.BGL in Scenery\World\scenery, if present, will return that airport to its default state. However, all of the FTX Regions (except Australia) have exclude files across their entire coverage area that also happen to suppress the default flatten and background grass polygons at all airports. 

Normally, a third-party add-on will include its own flattens and grass skirtings anyway (since they would differ from the default in size and shape) but perhaps that's not the case with the add-on you're using. In that case you could generate your own by loading the default CYEG into ADE and compiling it as a stand-alone pair of .bgl files and then only keep the one with the _CVX suffix. That CVX file will contain a duplicate of the default polygons and those should display when placed in an active scenery folder at higher display priority than the ORBX/FTX set of entries.

If that doesn't work perhaps run a Windows Explorer search of your entire flightsim folder tree for all .bgl files that include the airport's ICAO as part of their names -- e.g., search term *CYEG*.bgl -- and post a list or screenshot of the results with full file names and folder paths. An example of such a list is shown here: http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/134687-kmry-elevation-issue/?do=findComment&comment=1195382

We can look at that file list and possibly identify any remaining incompatible files.

Cheers, Holger

Thanks for the reply, Holger.

Following your instructions seems to have done the trick. I removed the three BGL's along with the elevation correction file from the scenery/world/scenery folder. I also moved the priority of Edmonton higher than the NRM folder. Now all is good.

Should all the add on sceneries be set to a higher priority than the FTX regions?

Cheers,

colin

22 minutes ago, Rowcoach said:

Should all the add on sceneries be set to a higher priority than the FTX regions?

Hi Colin

Yes, below is the standard method.

Ensure all of your 3rd party addons are at the top of your scenery library and above your FTX entries.

Then in FTX Central 3 Insertion points, move "FTX entries should be inserted below"  just below your last 3rd party addon.

Then move the "openLC entries should be inserted below"  just below your FTX entries. and click "Save".

image.png.f05d3a409c4e474fed86649bd91ac7aa.png

Cheers

Doug

•  

Archived