How to transfer files with USB cable to new pc?

I bought LapLink's:  PC Mover Professional, with the USB cable included.  I'm waiting for my new PC to arrive around the 26th of January 2018, but I want to use their provided USB cable, without their software (when it does arrive).  I read the reviews and it seems most people have problems with it.  I read the instructions, but they sound too difficult to follow.  I just watched a guy on YouTube use a different NetGear USB cable do it, and he made it look easy!  It had no software!  Just the USB cable with a NetGear piece of LED Hardware between the two ends of the connectors.  My PC Mover USB cable looks similar, but I don't know if it will work without the software installed on both PCs, etc., etc.

Can't I just use a regular USB cable?  Has anyone out there done this before?  I've got to transfer a whole lot of data (including P3Dv4 & ORBXdirect files) from my "old PC" to my "new PC".

Please help.  

Paul, tbh, i would never transfer software this way from an old PC to a new PC, simply because all the glitches/problems on you old PC are also taken over.

Take the time and start with a complete fresh installation. Although this may take some time, at end end you will have a fresh, clean and well running PC.

13 hours ago, skydivemayday said:

If you have ethernet ports in your PCs (most do) then buy an ethernet cable.  Its cheaper and easier than USB.

Don't forget, If OP want to go this way, it's a crossover cable he will need, not a regular Ethernet cable.  If he is using a router, he can use a regular Ethernet cable. ;)

https://helpdeskgeek.com/networking/connect-two-computers-using-a-crossover-cable/

Look here for more options. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-ways-to-transfer-files-from-one-computer-to-another/

If you choose on of those options, use youtube to learn the how to...

What is nice today is, you don't have to have the knowledge of all kind of things, you just need to know where and how to find all that information (Google, Youtube, etc)

Mike

I agree with mopperle. What your trying to do can be difficult even for folks experienced in doing that sort of thing. You'll be doing yourself a BIG favor by just biting the bullet and reinstalling everything. That's going to be your least painful alternative..........Doug

Archived