Have I messed up my snow textures? Two questions regarding snow

sneldrik

Hi All!

I'm not sure whether this is the right place for this, but I have to start somewhere :P I have two issues, and they are both related to the snow textures in FSX. I have several ORBX products installed, and I have seen this in both Norway and Canada, and other snowy places. Any pointers on how to tweak/fix this will be much appreaciated! It's not bothering me a lot, but it can drive me just a little bit crazy when I start paying attention to it.

Problem 1: The snow textures look very rough, and not at all crispy white and smooth like in many of the pictures I have seen of ORBX snow. It's like I can see the individual texture squares, like a grid if that makes any sense :P see attached picture no 2. large areas , especially icy lakes or open, snowy plains can be downright ugly to look at during low and slow flights.

Problem 2: Close up the snow has a weird "hue" to it, it almost resembles oily water. I'm thinking this might be a shader issue as it's extra visible during dusk/dawn(?), but I'm including it here, as its most visible on the snow textures. IF this is a shader issue, will I be able to fix this with shader software, i.e mogwaisoft Shade?..

I have fixed a lot of my issues in FSX , but I'm a bit stumped when it comes to this. :S

My setup

win 10 i7, Nvidia Geforce 850M (fresh drivers), 16 GB RAM, FSX.SE, REX 3 essentials with overdrive and AS16 for for weather, REX Worldwide airports HD, CFG Has been tweaked with the help of Kostas guide, I'm not using Nvidia Inspector for anything other than a slight overclock.

Software installed: FTX Global, vector, Open LC Europe, NA, FTX Global Trees HD, and 8 regions, including Norway and Pacific North West. Quite a few Freeware ORBX airports, including CYSE (screen nr 1)

Aircraft in screenshots: A2A Piper Cherokee

20180108160559_1.jpg

20180108161453_1.jpg

20180108153554_1.jpg

Hi there,

looks like you're using a replacement file for the default ground "grass" texture overlay that has lots of pattern/contrast. Detail1.bmp is a small "bumpmap" file (located in \Scenery\World\Texture) that the sim's display engine places as a semi-transparent overlay over all land surfaces to give the appearance of more detail than the 1-m resolution landclass ground textures themselves provide. A number of replacement versions exist, often labelled as "grass" textures, which is quite misleading given that it's applied everywhere, not just on airports. If the replacement file has high contrast then that can lead to a very noticeable grid pattern on low-contrast landclass textures such as sand, snow, or ice. 

Note that one can quickly deactivate it during a flight (without scenery reloading) via the "Land detail textures" checkbox in Options > Settings > Display > Scenery.

Cheers, Holger

Aha! yet again I learn something new about sim tweaking! You are absolutely right, as i tested this mid-flight and the result was obious :)

thanks a lot! Now I guess I have to find a good replacement file for the detail1.bmp, if I understand you correctly?

Hi Paul,

It seems Aero is missing from the new FTX Central. You can find the files manually in the ORBX\Scripts\Aero\Source\ folder inside your FSX/P3D installation, there are four subfolders (Scenery.World.Texture.detail1.bmp.Coarse, ... Cracked, ... Fine and ...Soft). Look at the preview JPGs to see which variant you like best, then copy the corresponding detail1.bmp to <FSX root folder>\Scenery\World\Texture.

Regards,

Tym

Thanks guys, I'll experiment with it and see if I can make it work for me :) I could find no default file though, just a preview jpg file in the default folder saying that my current file will be used in this instance. my current file is the source of my problems, so I wonder if a default file could be easily obtained in some other way? (not saying that the 4 other files are no good :P )

regards

Paul

Archived