smoke and water effect problem

bvdboomen

I have squares in the smoke, contrail and water effects. I think I saw it with chimneys too.

Normally I would think there is an effects BMP missing but it looks like all is in place although I do not know what effects to look for exactly.

This is what I've done so far:

- Recovered the effects folder with the Gages and effects recover tool 2.0 I found on Rikoooo which is now p3d v4 compatible

- Let the P3D installer repair my installation

- Deleted the shaders

All did not have any effect.

Here are some examples on KPSP with the fire exercise at 14.00.

2018-1-5_18-37-11-926.jpg

Also the P3D v4 update of Milviz F-86 has the same problems, so I think it's a global thing.

2018-1-5_18-37-39-818.jpg

Cheers,

Ben.

Hi Ben
I used the word rollback too liberally, since I know nothing of installing Radeon drivers (example: Nvidia drivers don't rollback successfully but need a clean re-install), Not sure about Radeon, but when I want to uninstall/reinstall my Nvidia driver I use the, Uninstall a program from the OS Control panel (locate driver package then uninstall) or I use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) then reinstall the right one, I have saved or downloaded.
You could do it the long way, Uninstall using DDU then reinstall your previous driver, if you have it downloaded / saved somewhere, if you don't have it saved redownload your previous driver then install and configure Catalyst.

Yep good result there Ben, effects are back to normal, lesson learned, might pay to use the budgie in a cage method in future other user reports, (wait to see if the driver is reported stable for your sim before updating) 
Example: Early warning system, before CO2 detectors old miners used candles or small birds in cages to alert them of dangerous CO2 levels. If the candle went out or the bird fell off the perch then it was time to exit the mine.

All the very best to you Ben. And what's wrong with a little full throttle runnup on the taxiway, LOL :D

One other "trick" to sort these missing textures out is to simply load a different aircraft (not just a different livery), then re-select the original one.

For some reason, this rebuilds the shaders cache in a different way.

Adam.

5 hours ago, bvdboomen said:

I indeed did update my Radeon drivers

Hello,

I might add that on my system this issue affected all effects, default and otherwise. Effects would flicker, rapidly switching between the proper texture for the effect and parts of fx1.bmp or fx2.bmp. Wakes would show patches of explosion textures, etc. Reverting to my October driver solved the problem. The LM guys know about this issue,  but I don't know if it's been reported on  the P3D public forum.

(By the way, rebuilding the shaders did not solve the issue.)

Archived