how to migrate full install of Orbx to new SSD drive...

hi Orbx,

i have about 200GB of your products on my C drive W10x64 - NVME M2 Samsung Pro 960 512GB - btw, i am amazed @ the actual data throughput & the high temps (HWInfo) of this drive in sim full flight - with 7700K & GTX1080 setup...

simply, how best do i migrate my P3Dv4.1 installation with all Orbx addons (about 200GB+) to my new internal 850 Evo SSD - i have purely used FTX Central so far to install all my Orbx...

(i also use FS Global NG FTX - about 70GB)...

i do btw have most Orbx installed on an internal WD Black (separate drive) for FSX:SE...

your advice would be most appreciated for this migration i must do...

& thanks for the Orbx Black Friday Sale - very helpful for all us flight simmers!

cheers, craig

australia

thanks for your prompt/timely reply Nick...

sounds like i KILL my P3Dv4.1 C drive install - & begin again...

i have plenty of addons:-

the best are:-

everything Orbx

Active Sky

FS Global NG FTX

Envtex with PTA Tweak

ChasePlane

FS Commander

TrackIR 5 basic (no wires)

Majestic Q400 with Immersive Soundpack

& particularly fond of OzX packages - i only wish Orbx would professionally package these...

obviously, i have some migration/directory management to do!

all the best from australia

• 3 weeks later...

update Nick,

all i did was move my 70GB+ FS Global Next Gen FTX 2018 from C drive to another SSD on my machine & repointed scenery via P3Dv4.1 Scenery Manager...

this has meant i have been able to purchase lots of Orbx addon scenery with the current Orbx Sale...

my Samsung Pro 960 (512GB) is now very FULL & ideally i would like to move my C Drive Lockheed Martin Orbx Folder (now 235GB & all fully paid for!) to my other SSD (1TB) - just like i did with FS Global NG FTX 2018 & repoint...

the reason for having LM P3Dv4.1 still on my C drive is it is obviously wickedly FAST & tightly integrated with W10 Pro... (+++ i do not have to screw around with files more than necessary)

your advice is most appreciated - & obviously, i am fully registered with all Orbx credentials (real big $$$'s invested)...

hopefully, i can get this done next day or so!

cheers,

craig

australia

Hello,

you cannot do the same with the ORBX folder as you did with the mesh.

However, you can move the ORBX folder to your other SSD and then replace it with a symbolic link.

This will allow the FTX software to keep working but free up the space you want on your C drive.

I prefer to use Link Shell Extension  to create symbolic links.

It integrates itself into Windows File Explorer and is not affected by Windows updates. 

you have told me Nick!

symbolic links are what i need to learn about - & i checked the URL you replied with...

obviously, i NEED to be W10 Pro savvy - no dramas please...

is there anything else i need to know before proceeding? & of course i wish to be FTX Central compliant (+ few more Orbx addons to $purchase this year whilst on sale)...

sounds like my 600GB+ spare space on my Samsung Evo will do the trick...

(i have a pending W10 Creators Update 1709 failing, because - i think - i do not have enough space on my C drive to properly install - & i like to keep fully compliant with PC hardware/software)...

would love to do this successfully next 24 hours - & fly!

thanks for your reply

Hello,

Please install Link Shell Extension.

Then copy your ORBX folder from your simulator root folder to a location of your choice on your 

new internal 850 Evo SSD.

Delete the original ORBX folder.

Go to your new ORBX folder, right click on it and from the right click drop down menu, select Pick link source.

Go to your simulator root folder and right click anywhere inside it, except on a file or folder.

Select Drop as/ Symbolic link.

You will then have an ORBX folder in your simulator root folder with a size on your C drive of 0 bytes.

From then on, FTX Central will be able to install, uninstall and read all the contents of your ORBX folder,

using the symbolic link.

Be aware:

If you access the files via the symbolic link, whatever you do to them will be done to the files on the remote drive.

However, you can delete the link itself without any other effect.

This means that in the event of for example, a simulator uninstall and reinstall, even if the root folder is deleted or moved,

the files in the remote ORBX folder are not affected and a new symbolic link will restore access to them.

thanks very much Nick,

i will do as you say tomorrow - with some purpose & thought...

i must say, it is very reasonable what i have requested - to have P3Dv4.1 on C Drive & Orbx Full Install on separate internal SSD - for all sorts of reasons...

it would be WONDERFUL if FTX Central would be that INTELLIGENT - as a newbie flight simmer i have enjoyed the Orbx SYSTEM  - please pass it on - your sensible/now solution/advice is so valuable to me - however, i feel Orbx could help make it SMOOTHER for us all (bit GitHub for me, however, i will give it a go - i love the very best PROFESSIONAL software solutions & done so for many years)...

cheers

Archived