ORBX Night light flickering

sidfadc

Hi guys,

So since moving to P3Dv4 I've been really unhappy with the ORBX night lighting which flickers really bad towards the horizon.  The only solution is to use 4xSSAA which we all know just isn't feasible with Dynamic lighting switched on.  Anything less than 4xSSAA results in really poor flickering night lights. 

Even worse if you turn DL off the lights on the PMDG 737 don't illuminate the ground so you are forced to keep this setting on, obviously this doesn't apply to all aircraft.  The Majestic Q400 for example doesn't utilise the P3Dv4 dynamic lighting but if you fly into an airfield that does use DL using 4xSSAA usually results in 100% GPU load, reduced performance and stutters.

So I'm looking for a solution to leave AA at 8xMSAA and a cure for the ORBX night light flicker.  I'm using a 1070 @ 1920 x1080.

I can provide a video to demonstrate this further if it helps.

Thanks

Sid

Try keeping 8xMSAA and switching on FXAA - works for me at 3840 x 2160 with negligible FPS hit. I don't know why it works - perhaps it blurs out the more distant lights and if they don't show they can't flicker. Doesn't spoil the overall effect though -  I also use PTA to put I nice natural haze on the far horizon which is great for masking annoying effects like the one you are suffering from.

RT

Archived