FTX Freeware don't seem to get into my sim

oldsailer2

I'm new to everything about orbx so have lots of questions (sorry) but here are a couple of currently active questions... I would like to get more planes, traffic etc into my local airport so I downloaded the freeware for that and it says done and installed ok but nothing changes at airport.  It's like a ghost town.    The other freeware that I can't seem to make work is the upgraded version of my local Valparaiso Indiana airport.  Again downloaded and installed but no noticeable change.  The map at this link indicates it should be in the package

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1PE1hbOnyNuZ5ynpoNmYsEPDi6Ao&hl=en_US&ll=40.27471692373561%2C-86.28793407031253&z=8

(some info how to download this specific airport would be nice to see along with the map.  Someone shared this link with me otherwise I would probably would never have found it or know it existed.   

I have purchased & installed:

Global Base

Open LC NA

Vector

Freeware airport pack

AL North Amer Gen Aviation (FTX NA GA AL)

Thanks in advance for any help/info 

Update 11/14/17,    Thought that maybe are little "back water" county airport just didn't rate any air craft traffic so did a flight to Midway Airport near Chicago and learned there are no parked aircraft air traffic there either.  It's like the world is empty except for me.  So status of the freeware ALNorth Ameerican General Aviation pack is not working for some reason.  The other freeware Airport Pack status is uncertain for now.  I think the airport looks a little different now, a few more buildings and surrounding scenery it seems but not as dramatic a change as I expected.  I have not found anywhere that I could select a upgrade for our specific airport so must assume the software knows what to upgrade and when and where.     

Hi oldsailer2,

KMDW, Midway is not one of our freeware airports  but you surely should have loads of AI traffic there but no parked (static) aircraft.  Almost all freeware airports have static a/c, often too many for some folks.  Make sure you have downloaded the ORBXLibs as they contain the static a/c objects, without the libs it's true there will be essentially no static a/c.

Hope that helps,

Cheers, Neil

Thanks for the info Neil...

1)  What is the freeware ftx na ga al  supposed to do if not provide aircraft to the scene?

2)  Something from ORBX that I added killed all flying and sitting aircraft that I had in fsxse before, any idea what?  It's like I'm the only person/aircraft left on earth.

3)  What is/are ORBXLibs?

Hi again,

ORBXLibs are the objects that we can use on our airports for buildings, cars, planes, etc.  It's free and every ORBX user should have the latest files.  Open up FTX Central and look for "ORBX Libraries".  Click on it and it should give you the opportunity to download and install them.

I have no idea what "freeware ftx na ga al" is, perhaps its AI traffic files, I'm not familiar with them as I don't use them here.

Cheers, Neil

I really have trouble navigating this site... I don't see FTX Central starting from the home page.  

ftx na ga al   is a freeware package title abbreviation which I think is North American General Aviation Al  (I have no idea either what "Al" is)  but it is used  many places throughout this web site. 

Hi again,

You have to forgive me as I don't know what folks have to work with, I just assume they have all the normal stuff.  If you go to the FTX "Home" page you should see the green "Get FTX Central" at the far right.  Double click that and download/install it.

Once it's installed open it and you should be able to spot that window called "Orbx Libraries", click on that and it should give you the opportunity to download and install it.

Hopefully that will allow you to get it installed, Neil

8 hours ago, oldsailer2 said:

1)  What is the freeware ftx na ga al  supposed to do if not provide aircraft to the scene?

Hello,

welcome to the forums.

1. The AI Traffic North America General Aviation pack comes with a control panel that allows the user to disable or enable the default AI traffic.

Also, the AI Traffic North America General Aviation pack is there to add AI traffic to Orbx airports, it is freeware but it is freeware tailored to the 

product range.

This is the control panel that you can access through FTX Central.

Untitled.jpg

Hi Nick, thanks so much for this information :-)  I was looking for slider type of control panel.  Also based on your response, I gather then that the Valparaiso (Porter County Municipal) is not considered an orbx airport and that's why I don't have aircraft (also same re Midway airport, Chicago).  I mistakenly thought that since Valparaiso was included in another freeware pack (airports) that then it was an orbx airport.  (us old guys learn slowly).  I did see a sim video recently featuring a flight at the Valparaiso airport that had static aircraft parked there... that then would have to be an add-on from another company?

gary

Welcome to real American and Canadian General Aviation AI Traffic!
We're pleased to be able to provide you with this first release of FTX NA GA AI TRAFFIC.
This package will provide extensive AI coverage of general aviation aircraft activity ranging from small Cessnas and Pipers to the larger Bombardier business jets. The pack has almost 600 accurately reproduced repaints of real world aircraft and will provide plenty of GA activity, even at the smaller airports. This traffic pack includes a large number of small to medium GA aircraft, single and twin engine Cessnas, Pipers, Beechs etc., with flight plans to provide lots of AI activity at both large and small airports. This pack will give you AI aircraft coverage at all Orbx payware and freeware airports plus North America Regions.

This is in the user guide... sounds like only "flying a/c" which I don't see in my sim either.  "coverage at all Orbx payware and freeware airports plus North American Regions".  Can you tell what I have purchased/downloaded/etc to see if I'm missing something?

gary

Yep, got 'em.  I've tried starting the sim with FTC Central both open and not open, (don't know which it should be) doesn't make any difference.  Other replies have indicated these programs only work with Orbx airports which I guess leaves KVPZ, out.  There were two FSX commuter type planes that stop there occasionally and I did manage to get them back.

• 3 weeks later...

I still cannot see any sign of any change from my 2 freeware downloads (AI Traffic North American General Aviation   & FTX Global NA Airport Pack),  I recently purchased two payware packs (Northern Calif & Meigs Field-Chicago) and see no sign of any change/improvement in my sim.  I haven't noticed mention of it anywhere but guess I should ask before buying anymore product, is ORBX useable in FSX-SE?  Most recently I deleted and reinstaled OBRXLBS with no change regarding my missing scenery.  Is there anything else I can do?  I was thinking maybe a different computer would help but then there would be Windows 10 to deal with and I don't know if ORBX works with that either.  This kind of a last ditch effort to try getting my stuff working.  I've already been turned down on a refund so unless one of you forum experts wants to take a serious shot at helping I guess I write ORBX off as a bad choice. 

Thanks, Gary 

Hello,

would you please attach a copy of your scenery.cfg file to your next post.

You will find it in either C:\Programdata\Microsoft\FSX or

C:\programdata\Microsoft\FSX-SE.

Possibly you might find both.

Please state which one(s) you do find.

It is not uncommon for FTX Central to be writing to a scenery.cfg file that the simulator is not reading.

Please also state what simulator is named at the top left of the FTX Central window.

A screen shot of the whole of FTX Central would be ideal.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, larryisenor said:

Below is a photo of KVPZ as it should look. There are a number of custom hangers and there are some aircraft and vehicles around the airport. The freeware airports should work fine with FSX SE. If you are not seeing something similar perhaps you could send a photo

fsscr743.bmp

Here is airport that I see, no custom hangers, no vehicles, no aircraft, just basic FSXSE airport.

Airport Ariel Screenshot 1.jpg

7 hours ago, larryisenor said:

Below is a photo of KVPZ as it should look. There are a number of custom hangers and there are some aircraft and vehicles around the airport. The freeware airports should work fine with FSX SE. If you are not seeing something similar perhaps you could send a photo

fsscr743.bmp

9 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Yes, that is what you should see if no scenery library entries have been added to the scenery library.

Any chance of you looking for the files I requested?

Here are the files requested...

file2.jpg

FSX.jpg

FSXSE.jpg

FTX Central.jpg

Thanks.

I was hoping that you could attach a copy of each file, so that I can read them.

I am now certain that FTX Central is writing to one but the simulator is reading from the other.

If you have a choice when you start FTX Central, choose FSX, not FSX-SE.

If you don't have a choice, which simulator is named at the very top left of the FTX Central window please?

3 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello,

You can set them to open with Notepad.

Please make a copy of each and attach them one by one to a post, making

it clear which one is which.

Please don't open the files, just copy them.

Thanks.

Confused...  "don't open" or "open with Notepad" :huh:

4 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello, thanks.

It would appear that now both of them have the FTX entries added, so the simulator should be

showing the FTX scenery.

Yes, finally had a chance to at least look at the home airstrip and it is great now.  I haven't had time to look at So California and Meigs yet but I would guess it's going to be ok.  You nailed this one, thanks so much, been wrestling with this problem for a couple of weeks.  Should I continue to sign with FSX rather than FSXSE?

Question, I do plan to replace my computer  soon.  New one will have Windows 10.  Any words of wisdom and advise regarding getting the new computer set up and working?

Thanks again,

Gary

If signing in as FSX has solved the problem, then the answer is yes.

I have been advocating this way of doing things for quite a while now.

I have had Windows 10 since its release and until Microsoft issued the 

latest version, 1709, I was quite happy with it.

This latest version appears to have broken 32 bit software, including of

course FSX and FSX-SE.

They allege that there will be a fix, after finally acknowledging the problem

and allegedly it will be released on 12th of this month.

As it is, I could not recommend it for running 32 bit simulators.

Archived