Freeware Airports pack NA - KSGU strange visuals

PhilK

Hi, all,

Some times ago, instead of just updating my P3D v4, I uninstalled it and reinstalled whole P3D v4.1 on a "cleaned" system, as well as my ORBX FTXG stuff, NA and EU freeware airports packs, the meshes I usually activate (Toposim and/or FreeMeshX), and my third party aircrafts including whatever sounds, gauges and effects they are requiring.

Recently made a MP flight with T&G at KSGU, and had unusual visual problems. I have no AEC enabled for this airport.

As I never used this airport before (neither FSX nor P3D up to V3), I have no possible comparison.

I rechecked later with an other aircraft, same troubles, but pictures herebelow.... (I assume the aircraft used has a center of gravity about 2.5ft above terrain)

Here, I am in fact near the runway...

l3jY2q3.jpg

A bit farther near the runway...

NTAvuL9.jpg

Starting to rotate the point of view to the aircraft, but still near the runway...

xnum1wS.jpg

Other point of view, near the runway, but here I can see it...

vRSZDUJ.jpg

Other point of view. No terrain under the runway...

VeZtHDX.jpg

Slewing some more along the runway, but other point of view

3Ezj5QU.jpg

Terrain for taxiways, aprons, etc... where they should be, but textures are missing

45x9Bps.jpg

But still nothing for the runway itself...

xnum1wS.jpg

To be noted : I have the same visual problems at KSGU if mesh are active, or not active.

Checking the airport with ADE, it seems that there are some possible "leftovers" from stock airport, as I could see some aprons/parkings and buildings farther NW very close to the city.

Furthermore, P3D reports a runway altitude at 2899ft, whereas AIRNAV or SKY VECTOR are reporting some 2883ft altitude, and ADE talks about 2840ft in runways and airport properties...

Thank you for any advice or help, as ORBX KSGU looks actually much more accurately located than the P3D stock airport. And probably the VOR is also misplaced in stock scenery...

Have a good day

Philippe

Hello,

you should see this file in scenery\world\scenery ADE_FTX_FTXG_KSGU_elevation.bgl

You should also see 

ADE_FTX_FTXG_KSGU.BGL

ADE_FTX_FTXG_KSGU_CVX.bgl

FTX_FTXG_KSGU_objects.bgl

in ORBX\FTX_GLOBAL\FTX_FTXG_AIRPORTS\Scenery.

You should also be sure that you have your scenery library in the correct order.

The FTX Central Insertion Point tool will do this for you.

Don't forget to click on Save.

Untitled.jpg

Nick,

Man, how much you know about ORBX stuff! And always ready to click on the Reply button to provide assistance, explanations, and share your knowledge! Saw somewhere that you also were involved in beta-testing the MJ-47. Do you keep some time for sleeping?

Thank you for pointing me to what was to be found where (which I must keep in mind, neurons permitting...).

The 3 last reported files were as you mentionned, but I understand by the time stamp that the elevation file was created by one of my two compilations of the modified altitude. Si I guess i had some problem when installing NA freeware airports pack into my new and fresh P3Dv4.

My scenery library is organized as for the earlier P3D versions, understand an Addon Scenery folder created manually, which I do not use that much, above which I place all my very local sceneries, i.e. small local, or specifically reworked airport, or sceneries I use only for specific events, for instance reenactments of the Market Garden Operation (one bridge too far...), or D-Day commemorative events, which require specific oldtime scenery elements like RAF airbases, beacons, "field" NDB's and other objects, this Addon Scenery being also the insertion point below which ORBX "is allowed" to install.

I apparently could sort out my problem using ADE... Starting from the ORBX ADE_FTX_FTXG_KSGU.bgl file, I first changed the airport reference altitude to 2940ft, saved and compiled. This time the runway was slightly above surrounding terrain, but all textures did show, and runway was on some terrain.

Then, taking back the previously modified file, I brought the airport reference altitude back to 2840ft, saved and compiled. And all is now working as expected, all textures and objects being obviously displayed at the proper location and with their textures.

By the way, the possible "left-over" objects (buildings, aprons, VOR object) from I assume the P3D stock airport can be seen when placing your aircraft at N37° 5.54' and W113° 35.58'

So, problem gone at my side, and I still owe you a couple of virtual beers for all the times you provided help and useful information to me.

Have a good day

Blue skies

Philippe

Archived