[P3D v4] Orbx products less accurate than stock terrain/textures

simtom

Hello,

Maybe my expectations of Orbx products were wrong but below you can find a comparison when using Orbx or the default terrain. This was shot at Ostend, Belgium while using FTX Global and Vector. I do have openLC NA as well but obviously it doesn't have any effect on this area.

Orbx Disabled:

Orbx Disabled

Orbx Enabled:

Orbx Enabled

Since I live there in real life I can tell you what's right and wrong.

Correct features:

- Orbx has a very realistic representation of the beach, it indeed follows that line.

- Roads and train tracks are matching the real life situation

Incorrect features:

- Where did the two piers go? They're still here in real life.

- Where did the two additional docks go? Still here as well.

Something that probably hasn't anything to do with Orbx but almost 50% of the city in question is missing, we don't have any of those green areas left unfortunately :( 

I'm also having some issues with black water textures but I guess this has something to do with ENVTEX (though I don't seem to have this problem when using the stock terrain).

TL;DR

When using Orbx I get less detailed terrain then while using the default terrain.

Global is doing only the global texture replacement and some selected other corrections across the globe.

Your pics actually demonstrate what a fine job Vectors did to the area. Still neither Global base nor Vectors do correct the cityscape or the general arrangement of landclasses. You will need OpenLC Europe for that, as your OLC NA obviously can't affect Belgium.

Slightly off topic, but since you mentioned it: I also have these blackish texture on parts of inland waters in some areas of central Europe, no ENVTEX nor similar installed.

5 minutes ago, Rongor said:

Global is doing only the global texture replacement and some selected other corrections across the globe.

Your pics actually demonstrate what a fine job Vectors did to the area.

But why then does it remove certain elements that are correct in the first place? Call me shortsighted but this way I feel like I'm downgrading instead of upgrading.

Vectors doesn't contain worldwide piers. Instead the coastline got corrected. You can see that by comparing the autogen/landclass of your 2 pics. The correction actually "cut off" some areas of the stock scenery coast, apparently that is why - in this case - you "lost" the piers/docks. I will post a screen of the area in a few minutes, checking on the job OpenLC EU does in that area...

4 minutes ago, Rongor said:

Vectors doesn't contain worldwide piers. Instead the coastline got corrected. You can see that by comparing the autogen/landclass of your 2 pics. The correction actually "cut off" some areas of the stock scenery coast, apparently that is why - in this case - you "lost" the piers/docks.

I see, thanks for further explaining. 

As for openLC NA, I think I got some problems there as well (shot at KCNY (Moab, Utah):

Default:

openLC NA:

59f4666c1776a_1-OrbxNA.thumb.jpg.70cf488ee48ecddc25af4417420f9d76.jpg

In real life it looks exactly like photo 1, it's just a desert. Orbx just messes it up completely, that's the main reason why I'm thinking I have an installation error.

hPGOx2sWQMui7tIxBnJ4TA.png

couldn't fly higher than 3000 ft as the ceiling is that low overhead Ostend right now. Added a map view though:

ml7rTt2_STeBfyRTGUuoiw.png

This is a top-down view of the vicinity of KCNY at my OLC NA installation, I agree those edges don't look "nice" and, yes, it looks different on google...

GU31tQhZRsSp1klOZF2KuQ.png

mSdujl0vQIOeHqJbsQE9Xw.png

1 hour ago, simtom said:

I'm also having some issues with black water textures but I guess this has something to do with ENVTEX (though I don't seem to have this problem when using the stock terrain).

Untick "Frozen Surface (in Winter Only)" in the Vector control panel under Water Features.

30 minutes ago, Rongor said:

couldn't fly higher than 3000 ft as the ceiling is that low overhead Ostend right now. Added a map view though:

Hmm, not too much difference with my install. Still, thanks for the help.

30 minutes ago, Rongor said:

This is a top-down view of the vicinity of KCNY at my OLC NA installation, I agree those edges don't look "nice" and, yes, it looks different on google...

The green area is actually Arches National Park:

Knipsel.thumb.PNG.369d95b70d934860b546dc60a04e3f2f.PNG

This leads me to think that Orbx uses the same texture for all areas marked as "Park". Is there some way to turn this off?

22 hours ago, uncle_adolph said:

Untick "Frozen Surface (in Winter Only)" in the Vector control panel under Water Features.

Thanks! That did work for me.

I did some further testing and it's indeed correct that Orbx uses the same texture for everything related to Parks, still looking for a way to disable this.

Archived