Orbx FTX Global causing P3Dv3 crash

galeair

Prior to the Windows 10 anniversary update I ran P3dv3 with many ORBX products and experienced no problems.

I'm running P3dv3 and all add ons as an administrator. I installed as an administrator and have disabled UAC.

All my flightsim add ons are allowed through my firewall.

I have just reinstalled P3dV3 and ORBX on an SSD hard drive with the latest version of windows 10.

All worked well until I installed FTX Global Base Pack. I then received the 'error creating child window' message when I tried to open the ATC window in P3d and the sim crashed.

I have uninstalled FTX Global Base Pack and P3D works fine.

I reinstalled a new download of FTX Global Base Pack and the problem came back.

I have installed other ORBX products including Innsbruck / Stockholm / Southampton and EU England and they are still working fine.

Windows Build is: Windows 10 version 1709 (KB4043961)

I receive the following Windows Event Viewer messages:

Faulting application name: Prepar3D.exe, version: 3.4.22.19868, time stamp: 0x588f7cbf
Faulting module name: unknown, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc000041d
Fault offset: 0x0082e6d0
Faulting process ID: 0x1d08
Faulting application start time: 0x01d34dbac4b59cce
Faulting application path: C:\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3\Prepar3D.exe
Faulting module path: unknown
Report ID: 6c9d92bb-9b3d-4704-8fbc-1a63b387e7ef
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Application: Prepar3D.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: exception code c0000005, exception address 0082E6D0
Stack:
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.IntGetMessageW(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32, Int32)
   at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.GetMessageW(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef, System.Runtime.InteropServices.HandleRef, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.GetMessage(System.Windows.Interop.MSG ByRef, IntPtr, Int32, Int32)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherFrame)
   at Views.AlertBox.P3DAlertBox.ProcessPendingWorkItems()
   at Views.AlertBox.P3DAlertBox.OnProgressPercentChanged(System.Object)
   at MenuModels.AlertBox.AlertData.set_ProgressCurrent(Double)
   at <Module>.P3DAlert.SetCurrent(P3DAlert*, Int32)
   at <Module>.P3DAlertSystem.UpdateModeless(Void*, Int32)

I realise its P3d that is crashing and that it is logged as a P3d error. But as this only happens after I install ORBX Global Base it seems to be your software, in conjunction with P3d that is triggering the fault.

Many thanks

Paul Gale

ORBX EGPB TRANSACTION ID 598c6a370fa9b

Hi Paul,

Are you aware of the Microsoft bug with the Win10 patch that kills P3Dv3 - there is supposed to be another patch by MS in November to fix... My symptoms: I can't start any flight unless I start it with the default Piper Cub - then switch to the aircraft I want (I have a pretty full suite of ORBX loaded as well)... If not - the sim just crashes when it's done loading... It's well documented on the P3D forum... I don't have the link handy... Possibly related ?

Regards,
Scott

• Nick Cooper changed the title to Orbx FTX Global causing P3Dv3 crash

Thanks Scott,

I was aware of other problems following the latest Microsoft upgrade. I seem to be able to start up any of the supplied aircraft. It only seems to be the application of Global Base which is causing my crash.

I will wait with baited breath while Microsoft try to undo the problems they have created. I would not have upgraded W10 but their software kept nagging me in the interests of security...

Why don't Microsoft provide a light, stable version of Windows, as a platform for other applications, without all the other rubbish which we didn't ask for and don't want. I think they are completely self obsessed and care little for the needs of their customers.

I will stop ranting now.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

Maybe try what works for me - start the flight with the default piper cub and see if it works for you without the crash ?

On the P3D forum they talked about removing a specific patch - but now days - MS just wants to put it back automatically - I think there was a work around but since I am sort of working - it seemed like more trouble than it was worth... It was also noted that P3Dv4 doesn't seem to have an issue with it...

Best of luck !

Regards,
Scott  

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the information. My version of  P3dv3 now crashes immediately after loading. So I suspect you are completely correct and this is not an ORBX problem. It was obviously a coincidence that the removal of Global Base seemed to resolve the issue on day one, and having restarted the computer Microsoft Windows has reeked further havoc. I will wait to see what LM and Microsoft come up with. I'm more than happy to close this now.

Many thanks

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:46 AM, galeair said:

Hi Scott,

Thank you for the information. My version of  P3dv3 now crashes immediately after loading. So I suspect you are completely correct and this is not an ORBX problem. It was obviously a coincidence that the removal of Global Base seemed to resolve the issue on day one, and having restarted the computer Microsoft Windows has reeked further havoc. I will wait to see what LM and Microsoft come up with. I'm more than happy to close this now.

Many thanks

Paul

Paul and Scott,

I have the exact same error as Paul - right down to the details his October 26 post, though the update on my Win 10 Enterprise machine was done today (Nov 4 2017) and was the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  So, I now have an unusable installation of P3D V3, if I want to use the ORBX addons I have invested heavily in. I removed Global Base as mentioned above and although P3D loads with Global Base absent, it then crashes within a second or 2. Prior to removing Global Base, not even the default scenario never loaded. I am surprised this is not affecting more users. The only way I can get my P3D V3 install working now is to disable ALL of my installed ORBX products in the scenery.cfg file.  To note, all of my other scenery and application addons continue to work, including my PILOT'S FS Global 2018 FTX Mesh. So, I appreciate your comment about this not being an ORBX problem, but my experience seems to indicate otherwise.

Best,

Jeffrey S. Bryner

1 hour ago, Jeffrey S. Bryner said:

Paul and Scott,

I have the exact same error as Paul - right down to the details his October 26 post, though the update on my Win 10 Enterprise machine was done today (Nov 4 2017) and was the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  So, I now have an unusable installation of P3D V3, if I want to use the ORBX addons I have invested heavily in. I removed Global Base as mentioned above and although P3D loads with Global Base absent, it then crashes within a second or 2. Prior to removing Global Base, not even the default scenario never loaded. I am surprised this is not affecting more users. The only way I can get my P3D V3 install working now is to disable ALL of my installed ORBX products in the scenery.cfg file.  To note, all of my other scenery and application addons continue to work, including my PILOT'S FS Global 2018 FTX Mesh. So, I appreciate your comment about this not being an ORBX problem, but my experience seems to indicate otherwise

Sorry -- left this out in my original post; https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=126667 . And, it is affecting more and more users.  Lockheed Martin is aware of this and recognizes this as an issue in Prepar3D V3 and not 4 as it affects only 32-bit applications. Seems Microsoft has indicated that around Nov 14 (patch Tuesday for Nov) they (Microsoft) will release a fix for the mess they created with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

Jeffrey S. Bryner

10 hours ago, Jeffrey S. Bryner said:

Seems Microsoft has indicated that around Nov 14 (patch Tuesday for Nov) they (Microsoft) will release a fix for the mess they created with the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.

So I decided to rollback the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, as I am not confident that Microsoft will get all of the issues resolved in the promised Nov 14 update for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.  The rollback was quick and, up till now, painless. Everything is working again in Prepar3D V3.4.  I'm no longer grounded, so back to flying. :D

Jeffrey S. Bryner

• 2 weeks later...

P3d seem to be permanently crashed for the time being.

I tried to get attention to this .NET framework errror.

My P3d v4.1 has not been working for weeks now. 

And that is on Win 7 64 bit, not Win 10

There are 2 Forum threads here where it is discussed. And absolutely nothing seem to be really working.

I think the hypothesis is that something in Windows and P3D is conflicting. Because simmers, by instructions from LM, have uninstalled practically everything and still nothing is working.

https://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6312&t=127165&e=1&view=unread#unread

and

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/523915-are-your-p3d-v40-1-working-mine-has-been-down-for-weeks-because-of-net-ctd/?page=2#comment-3749076

Regards

Jens

• 3 weeks later...

As most people will now know, the November patch from Microsoft did not fix this problem. LM say on their website that there is another patch due for release on the 12th December that will address this issue. So we live in hope. I am using the following work around, which is keeping me flying in the meantime:

I found that if I delete the  Prepar3d Program Data folder I can use my simulator. The folder is located:

Local Disk (c) / ProgramData / Lockheed Martin / Prepar3Dv3. Delete the Prepar3Dv3 folder then when P3D starts up it will rebuild the folder as a default and then run relatively normally. Please note the following:

1) You will lose all your ORBX scenery, and your custom controls and settings.

2) If you then open up FTX central it will automatically reactivate your ORBX scenery and then P3D will not work again.

3) I have manually added the upgraded ORBX airfields I am using to my world scenery library without any additional problems, but obviously without certain functionality such as object flow they don't work exactly as advertised.

So my belief is that while ORBX are not the cause of this problem, I completely blame Microsoft for this chaos, there is something in the scenery files created by ORBX that conflicts with whatever Microsoft have messed up. So as an interim fix I have to do without my lovely ORBX scenery. I am still using ASN weather, FSUIPC and my QW Bae146 so sometimes receive the dreaded Child Window error message, but around 90% of the time I can keep flying.

Hope that helps. The fact that it has taken Microsoft two months so far to get around to trying to fix this is appallingly bad in my opinion.

Paul Gale

Archived