Strange objects (cursor)

medx421

Spotted this flying into Tuscon, AZ tonight.  Went back to take a day shot of it.  It looks like a cursor of terrain or buildings.  It may very well not have anything to do with Global, Vector, or LC, but thought I'd share none the less.  If you fly out of KRYN on about a 330hdg for 7-10 miles or so it is there.  Nothing on the sectional map or Google Earth that I could find identifies it.

cursorp3d.jpg

cursorp3d2.jpg

Hi medx421,

I've had a chance to take a closer look at those features on the ground at the Lon/Lat, (a little sleuthing) what I thought might be a drop zone or target are infact what looks like a waste management plant or poo poo treatment facility. As nick says they are present in default and they do also appear in my FSX sim as well. The structure resembles something I found in Google Earth very close to the co-ordinates you gave in almost the same layout. Though the GE co-ordinates for the structures would be far more accurate. The layout for the structures show 4 perfect square earth features at the corners and possibly the center crossing points are a representation of the roads leading out to pumping stations, though not strictly accurate to what is shown in GE.
I have no idea why the MS / ACES team would have chosen to model the feature unless it were part of a mission or known geographic POI.

Here below are the GE pics, you might be able to make out the 4 corner square features, I have marked the basic shape and locations, which when viewed in GE at higher altitude do look somewhat similar to the ACES attempt to model the feature.

0f5681cb3408b42f591bf79718c72cb3.jpg

3d2d78cfa311c9737b65ab568a0d6299.jpg

316b3466be83d6cfe291cc2814bf2889.jpg

b1c53c616c54dca3416cc3714be6fd05.jpg

Very interesting and detailed find Jeff.  Thank you for taking the time.  It's just one of those little oddities we come across from time to time.  I fly privately in real life too, and it always amazes me the things I see from the air that one would have no idea are there from the ground. 

Archived