Bahamas Airport Masking - Default Airports Showing

Sabretooth78

I've encountered some incomplete masking of stock airports at a few locations in the Bahamas - specifically MYBS (Bimini) and MYGW (West End, Grand Bahama).  I'm not sure if there are any others which behave similarly, although seeing as I'm 2 for 2 in finding ones with errors, there may be more.

This is with the scenery library arranged per the recommended and unedited ORBX install location (below "Addon Scenery" and with OpenLC below "FTX").  The culprits are the BGLs located in the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" entry, as shown below.  I've also noticed that seemingly all of South Bimini island seems to experience "morphing" autogen as well - I haven't noticed this at MYGW.

MYBS:

MYBS_01.jpg

MYGW:

MYGW_01.jpg

I did figure out a kludge to get these to behave, however.  I'm sure it's not recommended but it might provide some insight as to where the problem lies and how to fix it.

1. I followed the ADE documentation for removing a stock airport (https://scruffyduck.screenstepslive.com/s/help_docs/m/20268/l/331650-how-do-i-remove-a-stock-airport-from-the-sim).  Then compiled those BGLs to a scenery library entry I keep near the top of the list (#3, behind the fsAeroData entries) for various little fixes and patches I make myself (generally stock airport errors, say there's a taxi sign in the wrong place, or I want to assign an airline code to a gate.)
  2. ABOVE that entry (thus bumping it to #4), I create a new library entry and copy into its folder the ABP_**** and APT_**** bgls (unedited!) from the "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" folder.
  3. Deactivate the copied ORBX files in the original "FTXZZ_OLC_FixedAPT" by appending .inactive to the filenames.

The results of this are below; looking much more like I would believe the fixes were intended:

MYBS: (also seemingly no more autogen "morphing")

MYBS_02.jpg

MYGW:

MYGW_02.jpg

One little note, I was trying to find the source of the little trapezoid-shaped concrete apron piece visible to the southeast of the runway at MYGW.  I first tried to deactivate the #3 scenery library entry into which I copied the ORBX files and then got a CTD upon scenery reload.  MYBS won't CTD in this fashion, but if I then slew towards MYGW it will CTD.  So there's apparently something wrong with my ADE file, or something's not playing right with the ORBX file(s).  No more time tonight to try and figure it out!

Hmmm, seems like I have something above that layer that's reinstating the default airports on top of the ORBX fixes, though I don't know what it could be.  I'll have to do some detective work.  Are there any particular files that perform that blocking, so I can check that they're present and working? (i.e. ABP_* is the airport background, etc.)

No, the airport files include an exclude that removes the default airport

and its airport background.

They do need to be above the default scenery in the scenery library.

If you have not already done this, please use the Insertion Point tool on the

FTX Central settings page to set your scenery up thus:

Untitled.jpg

Figured it out.  When I had created an update to KFLL (some time ago) to extend runway 10R/28L, I had somehow messed up the ILSs for that runway and had found a workaround that fixed it.  Evidently it broke these airports.  Finally got that issue fixed, so two birds with one stone.

Archived