FTX Pacific Northwest - KML coverage map plus airports, VOR, NDB, peaks locator

Tim Harris from the Orbx dev team has made a very handy interactive KMZ file which you can load into Google Earth to get an idea of the extent of the FTX PNW region coverage, plus toggle features such as airports, NDB, VORs, photoreal mountain peaks etc.

This is version 1.4.2 of this KMZ - Updated 13th Jan, 2010.

Usage: simply save the .kmz file attached below, to your local hard drive, then drag it into Google Earth.

post-1-130204077802_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Note that this information will be added to Plan-G maps (whatever extra airfield and objects are not already in the database), when PNW ships. Note that this is not an official Plan-G project but a user-built one and it will be added through downloadable CSV files in the Plan-G Forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Tim Harris from the Orbx dev team has made a very handy interactive KMZ file which you can load into Google Earth to get an idea of the extent of the FTX PNW region coverage, plus toggle features such as airports, NDB, VORs, photoreal mountain peaks etc.

This is version 1.4.2 of this KMZ - Updated 13th Jan, 2010.

Usage: simply save the .kmz file attached below, to your local hard drive, then drag it into Google Earth.

Hi John and many thx for it ! :)

As i'm not a Gogle Earth user, is there a way to have the same jpg file for PFJ and the next NRM ?

I'm searching for 2 hours but have found nothing like this on the forum...

Many thx for your answer.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't use google earth either, but you can load kml and kmz files in google maps. just go to my maps and import the saved kmz file and it will come up just as it would on google earth.

Sorry for being thick, but not quite sure what you mean  ??? I'm waiting delivery of AU DVD, I have PNW, PFJ and NRM and all have the KMZ Google map selection. I can't find the same thing for Australia on the Orbx website. I'd be grateful if you could explain how this is possible, thanks a bunch...

• 1 year later...

Just noticed the number of folk here who say they don't use Google Earth. I wonder if you're aware that although the imagery is the same as Google Maps it has a few "extras" that Flight Sim fans will find useful?

1) It can be "tilted to give you a 3D view of the landscape around airports so that you can familiarise yourself with approaches, high ground hazards etc.

2) It has a measuring tool that can give you the distance between two points/airfields OR using the "path measure" you can measure an entire complex route. These routes can be saved too.

3) You can create your own "pinned" locations for quick and easy future reference.

4) The map can be rotated so that you can view any location from the heading you'll approach or depart on.

5) You can switch to Google Maps from Google Earth to access mapping imagery instead of satellite imagery should you require this.

6) Many airport names when "clicked" link to web sites for that airport which can be opened and closed from within Google Earth.

Not trying to sell anything here because that's all available in the free version. If anyone actually has a "pay version" there may be more I'm unaware of.

BTW thanks for the heads up about .kmz's in Google Maps. That's something I've learned.

Geoff

Archived