Just a little help getting started in making scenery?

BigCapitalist

Hey guys,

I cant say how much I love P3D and my Orbx sceneries, I think I have spent over $500 on sales for scenery and it all continually blows me away. I was wondering if I could get a few tips from maybe some developers here on programs I could find and use to try to make some basic scenery for P3D to get started. I am going to school right now for Computer Aided Drafting and have a huge interest in aviation and plan on becoming a military pilot in a few years so I am crazy about anything aviation, the only problem I am having now is how to get started making scenery for P3D for school projects and such.

I am still working on becoming familiar with Autodesk and making 3d models, my major problem is I don't know how to go from taking the 3d models and putting them in P3D and also putting satellite imagery into P3D to place the 3d objects and textures. I have done a lot of research but this is such a small community there are just dead ends everywhere and lack of information. I also know that no one is going to reveal their business secrets and release a trove of information on exactly how they do what they do.

If anyone can help nudge me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Hey guys,

Thanks Dale,  I actually have a lot of those YouTube videos downloaded by K-MAN, I tried to make some basic scenery about a year ago and was stopped in my tracks because I couldn't find ANY satellite imagery, unfortunately none whatsoever, I think Google has locked down on that and has watermarks everywhere, then Nikon and some others are dead or severely outdated and the ones that did work had some strange tile artifacts when downloaded.

My major hurdle as of now is definitely finding viable satellite imagery that's either free or not too expensive and sat imagery that I can work with... Once that building block is down and finished then I'm off to transferring to the simulator. I used ADE before and I ran into a problem with it not locating my sim and not saving any work, but I can try to figure that out later. The 3d modeling wont be easy but I'm not worried about models and textures as there's a ton of information out there, the sim community however is really small and hard to find information.

Any help I can get is really appreciated, ill try to re-download ADE and see if I can get it working. Does it work with P3D V4? I think I used a trial version of IS and it was really good, ill get it as soon as I get the satellite imagery problem worked out. Once I can get setup and good I'm heading down to my local airports with a high res camera for texture collection and buildings! I really am planning on going the whole nine yards and making my own grass to even runways and hangars but I do need to iron a few things out to get to that point.

Thank you

34 minutes ago, petfy said:

I use SBuilderX and  FSXget to import satellite imagery. Beware, finding the latest drivers for FSXget can be extremely difficult.

I have used SBuilderX before, that's when I gave up with the satellite imagery. I couldn't find any servers and the ones that I did find had a tremendous amount of artifacts making it nearly unusable.

Is there any other way to get satellite imagery into the flight sim to work with or is that it? I know there is no way Orbx, Turbulent Designs, Fly Tampa, and Flightbeam use SBuilderX.

From what I have noticed any software out there that I am looking for is either outdated or extremely buggy and slow to use. As long as I can get the basic groundwork down and get that satellite imagery down then I can start adding textures and making buildings and models, but I don't even want to start wasting my time making 3d models until I know I will be able to transfer them to a usable image.

Thanks

I use it and ADE to make basic photoreal airports. I don't mind the ground being a bit blurry and I am lazy and only use library objects.

Sounds like you wand to produce something more detailed. I doubt if you will find any free satellite imagery better than SBuilderX.

cool, do you publish any?

I just keep running into software roadblocks, uggghhh, it sucks.

I'm planning on eventually becoming good enough to sell some for cheap like $5 or something, at some point while I'm in school anyways...

Honestly I don't mind paying for satellite imagery if its good, but even then I don't know where to get it then put it in the sim, I'm going to try and start working on 4k textures and models soon then overlay the textures like fields and such on the satellite imagery, but that satellite imagery problem is what's holding me back unfortunately.

I found this from Turbulent Designs but that sat imagery tool costs $200

https://www.turbulentdesigns.co.uk/tools-trade-software/

Honestly I'm ready to just get a 4k drone and do it that way

I don't publish as they are not good enough for public release.

It's I just cant stand the blank green ground of the default airports and would rather have photoreal, even if they are not detailed.

Here is my RKSI.

RKSI.jpg

You've got some nice runways and terminals, you're a hell of a lot further than me so far! I'm just getting started and still have yet to make a scenery.

Yeah I can see what you mean, the blank airports are cringe worthy when flying into, what you did is definitely 1000x better

Archived