Why are the ORBx Vector entries not on top of FTX scenery areas?

shally

Hello,

Can somebody please check the order of my scenery layers? (Nick Cooper - are you out there?)  It seems strange to me that when looking at the 3-D diagram in the ORBx documentation the vector files add the final touches placing rivers, roads, etc but FTX Central does not place them highest on the list. Is this a mistake. Anyway my order is as follows:

3rd party airports

FTX Libraries

FTX Airports

FTX Scenery & Autogen Areas

ORBx Open Landclass Areas

ORBx Open Landclass Z Base

FSX default scenery areas

ORBx Vector (5 entries)

FSGlobal Ultimate NG

Base files (0000 Base, 0001 Base, etc)

ORBx Vector AEC

default scenery

default terrain

Regards,

Stephen Shallcross.

Am I correct that the Orbx libraries (and also those of any addone provider) can be located anywhere across all the layers?

I am also curious, why the Vector data is required "below" landclasses and scenery? As far as I understand the sim actually uses Vector data as decals on top of landclass and scenery but the correct layer structure has it in opposite order...

Yes. That was my point. Doesn't seem logical but if Nick says my order is correct - that's good enough for me! (Thanks for the reply Nick). I also wondered about the library entries. Orbx seems to have them at the top whereas some other 3rd party sceneries such as UK2000 instruct us to make sure they are below all their sceneries.

Stephen.

Logic aside, the simulator reads the scenery.cfg file from bottom up--that is, the last entry in the scenery.cfg is read first, the top entry is read last.  Therefore, Vector and Landclass entries must be placed below the airports and scenery entries, because they must be read first.  Also, it doesn't matter if Vector is located above or below the LC entries, however many LC entries there are.  Hope this helps.  We've all wondered about these issues, but there you are.

Cheers!

Thanks Stewart for the reply. Does it matter where scenery libraries are located ORBx locates them at the top but most other 3rd party sceneries place them below their other entries.

Archived