openLC South America

GrayRider

I have purchased the  OLC SA product, and the freeware mesh to complement OLC SA. They are in my Central, and ready to be installed. I do have the necessary required ORBX products installed for OLC SA to work and look pretty good. First though. I have a couple questions about the freeware mesh to complement OLC SA.

I did read the release announcement about it. It's for those who don't have any third party mesh products installed for OLC SA in particular?. In the past several years. I don't recall installing any freeware or payware mesh products for a or any particular country, other than what the orbx products my have built into or installed etc. If I have any particular mesh's installed, I'm not sure where to look in my fsx to see or find if I ever installed any mesh files for any particular country, so to speak. I've never really did any flying anywhere in South America since I've had FSX anyway.

So. I'm probably going to install the freeware mesh offered to complement OLC SA. So I'm not sure if I'll have any issues once it's installed?.

What order should I install the OLC SA product and the freeware mesh?. Once installed. Is there anything else I need to do. Such as. Should I run the FTX Global Vector Configuration tool or anything else after installation?. When I install the freeware mesh for SA. Where do the mesh files go in my FSX files, in case I have issues?. Is there a readme doc for the freeware mesh once installed?.

I am still an FSX user, and no other flying platforms installed for flying etc

I'm hoping this all goes smooth as silk etc.

THX

GrayRider

Hi GrayRider,

4 hours ago, GrayRider said:

What order should I install the OLC SA product and the freeware mesh?

I would install the OpenLC SA first, then the mesh.

FTX Global Vector Configuration tool or anything else after installation?

Yes, you should always run the Vector AEC tool after any scenery changes.

Where do the mesh files go in my FSX files, in case I have issues?

They appear to integrate themselves into the OpenLC SA scenery files.

Is there a readme doc for the freeware mesh once installed?

No there is not.

It's for those who don't have any third party mesh products installed for OLC SA in particular?

I have a third party mesh installed as well as the freeware mesh...below is a quote from an article also linked below.

" Layering is not as important to terrain mesh as it is to other scenery elements, since the terrain engine will always load and display the highest resolution it finds in the database, regardless of any layering scheme. Once you install high-resolution terrain mesh, as long as the Scenery Library knows where to find it on your hard drive, it will load and display at runtime. "

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?13844-Introduction-To-Terrain-Mesh/view/2

Cheers

Doug

Thanks for the answers Doug.

I'll install OLC SA first, and than the orbx freeware mesh, designed for OLC SA. Based on your answers. The orbx freeware mesh, should do my OLC SA a lot of good in this case. Since I'm not real savvy working with mesh addons. I'm going to install the OLC SA first. Than start up my FSX and let the data build. Than I'll shut down my FSX, and than install to orbx freeware mesh for OLC SA. Than start my FSX again and let the data build again. Since I wasn't sure if I should install both SA and the mesh in the same install, without doing it twice, so to speak.

Either way I guess. Once I have both installed. I'll come out of my FSX and run the Global Vector Configuration Tool etc.

What would be a good ICAO code in SA to go to, and fly around some to see how SA looks, once installed?., and of course depending on where my sliders are set in my FSX.

I'll report back, once I have everything installed, as to how SA looks.

THX

GrayRider 

I did manage to get OLC SA and the mesh for SA. I'm currently flying around in different areas of South America, seeing how it looks in my FSX.

In the meantime. After I got everything installed. I went into my orbx user documents folder to look for the kmz file of OLC South America, (Coverage and Features map) to load into my goggle earth. I'm not seeing the file for use?. Should there be a kmz file?. If so. I'm not seeing it etc.

THX

GrayRider 

1 hour ago, GrayRider said:

I did manage to get OLC SA and the mesh for SA. I'm currently flying around in different areas of South America, seeing how it looks in my FSX.

In the meantime. After I got everything installed. I went into my orbx user documents folder to look for the kmz file of OLC South America, (Coverage and Features map) to load into my goggle earth. I'm not seeing the file for use?. Should there be a kmz file?. If so. I'm not seeing it etc.

THX

GrayRider 

Hi, GrayRider.  There's not a kmz file for OLC North America either.  Only the full fat regions have kmz files, unless I'm mistaken.

Archived