Installing ORBX NA Regions in FSX

orbxspike

Greetings from California, USA,

I am hoping to gain some wisdom and guidance from the ORBX community in order to make sure I am installing and configuring ORBX scenery correctly to lift my flight sim experience to the next level of immersion.  I have been using MicroSoft FSX for the last six months or so on a mid level PC running Windows 7 and it has worked fine.  All my sim flying is general aviation, below 10,000 feet, to brush up on my VFR & IFR skills to get back into actual airplanes as I am also a licensed pilot.  I recently purchased the ORBX North America Regions for Pacific Northwest, Northern CA and Southern CA, and a couple of airport scenery packs.  I manually downloaded the files then used FTX Central to install the files.  My problem is that I can't really tell if the ORBX scenery is showing up or if it is just the standard FSX scenery.  I have read through several threads about scenery file order and have made a few (mostly methodically) adjustments to the file order and have seen some changes in the visual environment but nothing consistently complete or correct.

With all that said I would greatly appreciate some guidance to confirm that the ORBX files are loaded correctly, in the right place, and correctly configured.  Again the hardware is a mid level PC running Windows 7, MS FSX, one other scenery package from another developer, the PC is dedicated to only flight sim use.  The OS and FSX installations have been plain vanilla installations, I have done no "tweaking".  I have attached the scenery order file for review.

Thank you for any assistance that can be shared.  I can also provide screenshots of any additional configuration files as needed.

Sincerely,

Spike

ftx 1.jpg

ftx 2.jpg

ftx 3.jpg

ftx 4.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forums.

Your scenery library order is not as it should be.

Please open FTX Central, select Settings and you will see the Insertion Point tool.

Set the FTX icon so that it is at the top of your scenery library.

Then set the OLC icon just below the FTX icon.

Click on Save.

If at any point you decide to add any other developer's scenery products,

the FTX icon should the be set just below the lowest of those.

Hello,

Nick, thank you very much for the reply and advice.  I did as you advised within FTX Central, re-positioning the ORBX files.  Please see the attached screen shot of the updated scenery file positions (I included the top and bottom only this time).  The file re-positioning resolved at least one of the apparent issues which was the "double exposure" duplication of some bridges and radio towers.  However some new visual errors have appeared.  To illustrate I included a couple of additional screen shots.  One is of the San Francisco waterfront.  You will see in this image that what is supposed to be bay water looks like desert and what should be city looks like a lake.  The other image is from the Monterey area, again the Pacific Ocean shows as desert.  Specifically in this image you will see just to the right of the wing strut is where I assume the ORBX Monterey Airport images stop and the ORBX NorCal images "start".

My hope by providing these descriptions will help you diagnose the problem.  If there are any other config files or image samples that would be helpful to you please let me know and I will send them also.  I have heard numerous glowing reviews of the ORBX scenery products and I am eager to experience it myself but I don't think I'm quite there yet.  Thank you again for any further guidance you can provide.

Sincerely,

Spike

FSX Scenery Top.jpg

FSX Scenery Bottom.jpg

KSFO.jpg

KMRY.jpg

The most glaring omission I see is that you haven't yet installed the Orbx Libraries.  That may possibly account for what you are seeing at SF and Monterey.  Start up FTX Central, click on FTX Global Range, scroll down to the bottom and you'll find the pic for Orbx Libraries.  Click on that to install.

Hello All,

Well Mr, Hobson, It seems you were on to something there.  I did as you suggested, installing the ORBX Libraries, and it all appears to be working now.  Excellent visuals, oceans where they should be, deserts where they should be, no double exposure of bridges/antenna , etc.

I think we can consider this case closed.

Thank you Mr. Hobson and Thank you Mr. Cooper for your assistance.

Until next time.

Sincerely,

Spike

Archived