Bit of Advice Re Switching to FSX Steam Edition Please

simdown42

Hi Everyone

I have a very cluttered FSX Boxed edition and was thinking of switching to a fresh install of FSX Steam Edition. Now with FSW here I'm wondering if Steam will be obsolete and not worth installing.  I've done some research on Steam and most addons appear to be compatible with the exception of some Aerosoft airports. 

Any advice, thoughts or opinions would be welcomed.

Many Thanks

Cheers

simdown42

Well, I have not tried steam. But if you have a boxed FSX plus Acceleration, then why not stay with that?

The only alternative that I am considering is P3D when the new version arrives.

Thanks paulb

I could stay with my boxed version but it could do with a fresh install and I read activation was no longer available. I'd  also read Steam Edition was a bit less buggy and more up to date. I'm definitely going with P3D v4 when it's released, if indeed it's 64 bit, so i guess I should just be patient for that.

Cheers

simdown42

Good advice from Paul.

To me, it makes no sense at all to change from one simulator which allows all one's

add ons to work to another that does not.

What you can read and what is actually true are often not the same.

Activation is indeed still available and the Steam Edition is almost identical, with some

of the default settings reduced. There is nothing new in it.

It's not difficult to make a clean installation of FSX without uninstalling it and then you can

add back in whatever you wish.

As Nick says, you can do a fresh install of your boxed edition as long as you have the codes.

I have been on the fence with P3D for a while now. I will give V4 a go when it is released. But I will also keep my FSX as a fall back!  :D

Boxed version keeps being much effective than the SE when you want to add third party contents. There is no sense if you expect something better

One benefit of Steam is the sales they have at various times of the year, FSX often has very good discounts for DLC, and there is plenty available on Steam. I moved from DVD version to Steam edition and found it worked well, all my other non Steam addons have worked, and they tend to find the steam install automatically too. I'm not sure how much life is left in FSX though, as you know there is a new generation coming. Maybe wait until the summer sale, pick up FSX:SE for a fiver and start with a fresh clean install to remind yourself how good a vanilla version looks.

16 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

t's not difficult to make a clean installation of FSX without uninstalling it and then you can

add back in whatever you wish.

Many thanks Nick

I'm a bit lost on the clean installation without uninstalling part. If it's not too much trouble would you please explain how to do this or direct me to somewhere I can find out how to do it. I have the necessary Gold Edition code. 

Cheers

simdown42:)

Archived