Multiple hard drive

F.C.Jeijsman

Due to the large number of scannery's, my SSD "C" is full. 180 GB is now used for only the scennery's
I need to install another 8 new ones. That's not going to happen anymore.
How can I put all scennery's on my "D" SSD? after removing from "C "
Or how can I put all the new one of the scennery to be installed on "D"?

Frans Jeijsman.

Hi. You can create a simbolic link. I have used Junction Link Magic before. There are others. You create a folder called Orbx on the drive where you want your scenery to go and then a link on say your C drive to point to your other drive and when you install any other scenery instead of installing to your C drive it will in install to your D drive. Derek.

Just getting ready to take my first trim into Orbx New Scenery Management Central.  Could you use Junction Link Magic somehow with the Orbx Over Mind?

On 2017-5-6 at 3:13 AM, Chris.D said:

On 2017-5-5 at 11:39 PM, Dadtom65 said:

Hi. You can create a simbolic link. I have used Junction Link Magic before. There are others. You create a folder called Orbx on the drive where you want your scenery to go and then a link on say your C drive to point to your other drive and when you install any other scenery instead of installing to your C drive it will in install to your D drive. Derek.

On 2017-5-5 at 11:39 PM, Dadtom65 said:

HI
 I do not understand how it works.
At "C" I still have 40 GB free of the 450 GB. That's not just for ORBX but for all my applications.
How do I force ORBX No more use of "C"
I can only choose to download and install. How can I prevent that ORBX first 
use the space on "C" for another 50 GB of scannery's
I can not find anything in ORBX to determine the path itself.
I've picked up Junction Link Magic (including 22 spyware), and installed.
I can make links to "D".
How do I force ORBX to go to "D" further?
From the manual I do not get wiser. LinkMagic

Others, Chris.D, the link http://download.informer.com/win-1193150232-cb8099f7-5681f706/linkmagic2.exe
Does not work in google and Firefox 

Thank you for your reactions
To Newbie Frans Jeijsman

Hi,

Regarding F.C's point,I too had your problem with junction link.The C and D drives filled -up

I don't think Junction link is available as a download anymore.

It seems many are having problems with a full C drive.Likely to get worse-I note from a topic above that N Germany is nearly 7gb!I have this but cannot install it because of lack of space.

Anthony.

I had not a problem with downloading   Junction Link Magic (incl. 22 spyware)

But after the installation of Junction Link Magic. I make a new map in C:/ Locheed Martin/Prepar3D/ORBX (that is where the program is installed)

The map name is "ORBXLink".(a fantasy name) On "D" I did the same. a map with the name "ORBXLink.

Than I make a link with "Junction Link Magic" between this " Maps. After that I saw that de name on C:/ Locheed Martin/Prepar3D/ORBX is changed in an shortcut.

After a download and install, Northern Ireland, The free space on "C" was Aprox 4 GB smaller. On "D 'notting has changed.

That means that  I don't no how it works. it is useless for me.

I spend more than  $ 1000 for ORBX scennery's, an now I need to buy A bigger drve for "C"   With a lot of free space on "D" also an SSD.

This is the most unfriendly program I have bought.

That means costly Software for Flightsimulator, video- en foto eddting from Adobe and so on.

But at all I can decide wich disk I want write the data.

I have 5 other Harddrives on my computer 1-3 Tb for all the data but useless for ORBX

Give me a solution that works  What did I wrong with "Junction Link Magic"

If the solution fails, I buy a new SSD 800GB so I can use what I have but is the end for me witht ORBX software

Frans Jeijsman

PS

I understand that the use of discussion groups is cost frienly But You ORBX, have an Accountability to me.

system information:

Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3930K CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 MHz, 6 core('s), 12 logische processor(s)
Geïnstalleerd fysiek geheugen (RAM)    32,0 GB
Fabrikant BaseBoard    ASRock
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Video NVidea GForse GTX 980

Hello Frans and Anthony,

Frans

There is absolutely no need to include the negative comments in your post.

Your problem with the symbolic link is because you have not understood what should be done.

The idea is as follows.

1. You have an ORBX folder in your simulator root folder on your C drive, but the C drive is too small.

2. You must have an ORBX folder in your simulator root folder, or the software will not work.

3. The solution is to move the whole ORBX folder to a drive with enough space.

4. However, you must have an ORBX folder in your simulator root folder, on the C drive.

5. To achieve this, you copy your ORBX folder to the other drive.

6. Then delete the ORBX folder in your simulator root folder on the C drive.

7. Finally, create a symbolic link from the new ORBX folder and place that link into the simulator root folder

on the C drive. This link will be named ORBX.

The symbolic link is a "gateway" to the files on the other drive.

Since the link must be named ORBX, the simulator and FTX Central will recognise it and continue to work just

as they did before.

However, because the files are now no longer on the C drive, the size of the link is 0 bytes.

I prefer to use Hard link shell extension

Anthony and Frans

Because neither of you appear to have read the topic, I will link it again.

Please click on any blue writing in this reply to see the pages that are linked.

If you read the topic and follow the advice, you will no longer use the C drive for downloads and installations and

if you follow all the advice, you will probably gain a great deal of free space on the C drive as well.

Frans, I do NOT put up links that contain " (incl. 22 spyware) ".  Unfortunately most AntiVirus and Malware software will detect system programs as being dangerous.  Because Junction Link Magic changes the internals of Windows, the antivirus program thinks it is a threat.  What they call "False Positives".

And on that, my link is still active, I just checked.

Most browsers will allow downloads, but you have to know how your browser works.   Maybe an investment in a download manager integrated into your browser will help.  I use" Internet Down Load Manager" IDM.

Not many know it, but Windows, since Windows 2000, has been designed with "Remote Directory", so applications can be installed on remote drives in the same case or on another drive on another computer on the other side of the world.  Those features have been available for 17 years.  Even stuff like your "Libraries" and "Favorites" do not have to reside on your computer or on drive C:.  The only thing that is on my C: is the operating system, Windows 7, and I mean it is the only thing that is installed on C:.  Really, drive C: only needs to be 64 GB in size, as Windows only occupies 35 GB (+/-).    Microsoft Office and ALL my applications are on drive D: and my FSX is on drive F:  with some scenery like Pilots mesh and MegaScenery Photo real are on drive G:.

If you run Junction Link and do a scan of your computer, you will find that there are hundreds of "Symbolic Links" and "Junction Points" in your computer, Windows will not run without them, so adding a few more will do no harm, actually they are completely transparent to the operating system.

Out of the box, FSX can be installed by a 10 year old, and it will run just fine, BUT, once you start up-grading with add on scenery and aircraft, your computer skills have to increase 1000X.  You must know how your computer works to be successful in installing addons into FSX, or any of the other platforms.  Orbx, thankfully, has made it a lot easier with FTX Central, but, there still comes a time when you HAVE to know how your computer works to be able to successfully run your Flight Sim.

The flight simulator programs are not a game !  They are probably the most complex and technically difficult program you will ever run on your computer. 

I have been working with computers since the 1960's and got into the Flight Sim in the early 80's (Apple 2E), and over that time have had to solve many difficulties BEFORE the internet.  Since the internet and the forums, I have written 1000's of pages of advice to simmers and solved 1000's of problems, but, at the end of the day, you must know YOUR computer, and to do that, you have to read everything and then read some more.  

Help is here, but like my Dad told me when I was a Kid, "Keep your ears open and your mouth shut".  

I want you to know this has trashed my afternoon prowling the internet.  Conclusions Arconis might be quite nice for backing up, but Active@ Disk Boot seems to have the best recovery support.  Having my system recently crash so badly I couldn't for the first time fix it and had to actually pay money to have a tech clean it up and reinstall Win7, this is  high priority for me. So I'm hoping to use Active@Disk Boot for maintaining an incrementally updated image of the key C: and hope I never need the recovery features.

Also realized I was mixing up local back up and cloud storage. I would very much like to have unlimited cloud storage, but so far every firm has reams of comments about failure to be able to provide the stored data when needed.  Guess I need to use an large external and grab it and the cat of the way out the window in case of fire, riot or meteor strike. :(

Your real person experiences have played a significant role in this choice, ad copy is fairly useless.  Many Thanks

Hello Nick and Chris.
Yes, you understood, my annoyance, I've been working on the problem for a couple of days.

Before I read the repost.

I slept for a night.

The solution with Junction link Magic should be possible but how ?.

I experimented by creating a folder on "D" ORBX.
On "C" I renamed the ORBX folder in OLDORBX. And created a new folder ORBX.

After making the link with Junction link Magic, I saw that the ORBX folder on "C" became a shortcut.
As a test, I have downloaded and installed a scennery with FTX Central 3.
The data was now placed on "D" ORBX. I now understood the solution and copied all data from "C" OLDORBX
To "D" ORBX.

In the reactions of your comments, I now see that this is the solution.

My hobby is not to work in software but to work with the programs.
Managing files with ORBX  is quite differently from any other program that I know.

But it works.
I thank you all for the patience and good advice given to this amateur.

And sorry for  my annoyance.
Frans Jeijsman.

Frans, you CANNOT rename your folders !  This is where you are going wrong.

This is what I posted in another thread.

First, Run Junction Link Magic installer from file below, and allow it to install.

Antivirus software will see this as a threat, so disable your antivirus software, and / or make an exception rule for JunctionLinkMagic.exe after the program installs. 

Then have a good read about how it works, not hard.

Install 1 of your ORBX scenerys into your flight sim and make sure it works.

Then copy the ORBX folder and contents from the sim to the new location.

Go back to the ORBX folder in the sim ie \\\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX\  and delete everything from the ORBX folder, leaving an empty ORBX folder.

This is a must !

Then run Junction Link Magic and run a "scan". ("scan now" button) (updates its data base.)

In the center window, scroll to the bottom so you can see the last items.

Click on "Create" and a new window pops up.

In the Left hand window,"Junction Point (Host Folder), navigate to the EMPTY ORBX folder in the sim ie  \\\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\ORBX

Click on ORBX to highlight it.

Now go to the Right hand window and navigate to the new location where you put the new ORBX folder and Highlight the new ORBX folder.

If everything is OK, you will be able to click on "Create".  If anything is wrong, "Create" button will be grayed out.

If it works, you will see your new junction in the bottom of the main window.

Run the Sim and make sure the new junction works and you will see the new scenery you just installed.

All OK, quit the sim.

Now you can go back to FTXCentral and install more scenery and it will go into the new location.

Simple !

I put a You Tube tutorial video up in the "Multiple hard drive" thread, you might like to look at it.

So, really, only 2 things can go wrong.  An anti virus program is blocking you, or you are trying to create a link from a folder that is not empty.

See how you go.

Chris.

PS. don't forget the install linkmagic2.exe  From here, no viruses, guarantee. 

Double click it and it will download to your computer, maybe to the download folder.

Archived