What Do I Need To Do?

Hey Guys and Gals

I use FTX Global and EU LC ONLY at present.

I would like to purchase LOWI and am unsure how to do this.

The only FTC installed on my PC is the old V2 one.

Can I I buy LOWI on a different PC to my Sim PC and then instal it after?

really don't know where to begin anymore :-(

Hello Andrew,

You would buy the product at the Orbx Direct website.

You then have the option to either make a manual download or to use FTX Central to install it from the servers.

For either of these to happen, you will have to have FTX Central version 3 installed somewhere where it can

access the internet.

The reason for this is that it checks product licences before it will do anything and the files cannot

be installed any other way.

Possibly the best way for you would be to install FTX Central on another PC, buy the product,

install it and then copy the files to your special set up.

Hi Nick

Thank you.

That sounds like a good idea and I will do that!

How would I identify the files; especially all sound and effects files?

At present there are no libs in my sim as FTX G and LC does not install them.

is there a separate libs installer I could use for this?

thanks again

a

Hello Andrew,

One way to identify the files would be to make yourself an empty folder with just the simulator .exe file in it.

You should be able to rename your simulator root folder and replace it with the empty folder, giving it the

name that it had before.

Then let FTX Central install the products you need and when you have finished, copy all the files across to your other PC.

If asked, let them all overwrite.

Not currently an ORBX user, but I downloaded the demo of the Northwest Area onto FTX. I want to proceed with a "full" install, but not sure if I need every product, or just the Global, or North America, Europe or all of the above.

Any help on which of, or all the Orbx products I need.

8 minutes ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Andrew,

One way to identify the files would be to make yourself an empty folder with just the simulator .exe file in it.

You should be able to rename your simulator root folder and replace it with the empty folder, giving it the

name that it had before.

Then let FTX Central install the products you need and when you have finished, copy all the files across to your other PC.

If asked, let them all overwrite.

Very Clever!

I will do this now

Thanks Nick

A

25 minutes ago, Jarley7354 said:

Not currently an ORBX user, but I downloaded the demo of the Northwest Area onto FTX. I want to proceed with a "full" install, but not sure if I need every product, or just the Global, or North America, Europe or all of the above.

I don't know the answer here; however, if you start your own thread it will get answered.

jumping in another thread will make it very easy for the post to get lost.

3 hours ago, Jarley7354 said:

Jarley7354,

Welcome!

If you have the PNW Demo (Pacific Northwest) and want the best Orbx scenery for the Pacific Northwest, you only need to buy the NA Pacific Northwest region.  You do not need Global Base or openLC North America.

Read on if you dare.

There used to be a Guide to Orbx products, which seems to have been removed.  It explained the differences between the Orbx Regions and the Global line of products.  

* Edit:  Found a link to download the last guide. It is a .pdf

http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=34397

Here is a quick summary. (I copied the image from my saved pdf of the guide.)

FSX/P3D scenery is made up of several "layers".

Mesh - Is the bottom layer of elevation data.  It is a grid of elevation data points that ultimately determines what is a hill and what is a valley.

Land Class - Is a map that represents what type of land is at each point.  Forest, farm land, desert, water, ...

Texture - This is what you actually see.  A bunch of tiles that correspond to each type of Land Class.

Vector Data - This is all the roads, railroads, rivers, power lines, shorelines.

Scenerylayers.jpg

- Orbx's FTX Global products replace the default FSX/P3D "layers".

FTX Global openLC replaces the Land Class layer for the coverage area.  (Currently North America and Europe are available.)

FTX Global Base pack replaces the entire world's texture layer.

FTX Global Vector replaces the entire world's vector data layer.

(Orbx doesn't sell a terrain mesh product directly.  I use FreeMeshX for my mesh instead of PILOTS FS Global 2010, because it is free.)

- Orbx's Regions contain all of the layers for their specific area, plus custom landmarks, photoreal points of interest, and upgraded airports. Some of the land class and vector data is also more accurate the Global's.

Orbxproducts.jpg

There is no problem having both the regions and the Global products.  However, the Regions will be more accurate and take precedence over the Global data.

For instance, if you have FTX Global Base + Vector + openLC NA, the Puget Sound will look much better than default FSX/P3D.

If you then install NA PNW, it will look even better.  You will get even more accurate vector and land class data, some special textures, hand placed points of interest, and more accurate mesh.  

If you already had NA PNW installed and then installed any(or all) of the FTX Global range products you would not see any improvement within the Pacific Northwest, because the NA Pacific Northwest region is already more accurate.

The Orbx regions will give you the best/most accurate scenery, but cover a limited area.

The FTX Global range will greatly improve the accuracy of their respective scenery "layer" for the entire globe (or oLC area), but the Orbx regions will be more accurate. Though honestly, you may find it hard to tell the difference without side by side screenshots.  The guide has some comparison screenshots.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Andrew,

You then have the option to either make a manual download or to use FTX Central to install it from the servers.

For either of these to happen, you will have to have FTX Central version 3 installed somewhere where it can

access the internet.

The reason for this is that it checks product licences before it will do anything and the files cannot

Possibly the best way for you would be to install FTX Central on another PC, buy the product,

Hi Nick

finally got the files. I removed all original files from Default FS folders and I have now retrieved the new Orbx folder, some new textures that went into the textures folder and some effects.

So Far so good. I will see if it works if I manually install it all and then add to scenery library.

Not sure what to do about Libs yet..?

I think il just run the libs installer on the pc's for the safest bet.

if I remember correctly, the object flow only checks for updates once.

6 hours ago, Nick Cooper said:

Hello Andrew,

access the internet.

I do need to do testing and a LOT more flying; I have not installed LIBS yet,

BUT

From what I can see so far, LOWI is absolutely 

***** STUNNING*****

Amazing

REALLY BEAUTIFUL 

Archived