Running out of storage space

Stratocruiser

My computer has two drives. C drive is a 245 GB SSD, and D drive is a 1 TB HHD. It seems that my C drive is just about out of space and I want to add more Oobx scenery. My second drive (D) has lots of storage space. Can I move all my Present and future Orbx scenery to the D drive? I am running P3D v3.4. If the answer is yes, could someone reply with instructions of what to move and what not to do? Thanks.

Howard

Hello Howard,

Do you have all your scenery and your simulator installed on the C drive?

If you do, it might be a good idea to move all your scenery to the D drive

and use a symbolic link to place a link to it back into your simulator folder.

If that seems like a good idea, I can give you a short guide on how to do this. 

Hi Nick,

Yes. That is what I want to do. I own most of the Orbx scenery, but can not get them all installed on the c drive of my new computer. The computer is super fast and smooth, but only has a 240 GB SSD for the c drive. The d drive is 1 TB but is a HDD. I thought if I can move the Orbx stuff and install future Orbx stuff to the d drive, it will free up space on the c drive. But I don't know  how to do that safely.

thanks.

Howard

Hello Howard,

there are many ways to create a symbolic link, I prefer Link Shell Extension

which integrates the process into the Windows File Explorer.

The page in the link contains all the files you need and a very good guide on

how to use it.

Basically, you should copy your whole ORBX folder to your D drive.

Then delete it from your C drive and use Link Shell Extension to place a

symbolic link to the D drive ORBX folder back into your simulator root folder.

Thanks, Nick - I'm beginning to run out of space as well. I currently have P3D (and ORBX in root P3D) on an SSD - drive H.

I may just have to hive off the ORBX folder to another SSD drive soon, using symbolic links. Well, there's a first time for everything!!!

Are there any "gotchas"?

Adam.

Nick,

I went to that site and it is a little beyond my capability. I downloaded the file, ran the installer and it disappeared . I can't find it anywhere on my computer. I understand that we can move the Orbx file/folder to the D drive and delete it from the c drive, but I can't seem to understand what to create to link them together.

Howard

Hi Nick,

Once I understood what we were trying to do, I went on line and did a search and found a free program called SymMover and used that one. or some reason it seemed easier to use for me. Anyhow, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have moved the file and P3D works well.

Howard

Archived