Return to Flight Simulator

Anger

I have been away from FSX for about 5 years and recently built a new FlightSim PC so I could get back into this hobby. I have a number of Orbx / FTX titles installed on my old PC and want to get these installed on the newer more powerful PC. Some of the FTX titles I purchased as downloads -probably from PCAviator and some titles I have on CDROM. Here is a list of what I have:

FTX Central v1.0 Build 2025 August 2011
- Australia
- North America
- 1S2
- 2S1 (see download folder)
- 3W5
- FTX AU YSCH SP1
- FTX Australia SP3
- FTX NA BLUE NRM
- FTX NA BLUE PFJ
- FTX NA BLUE PNW
- KORS
- Orbx Lancair IVP
- WA56
- YBBN

I understand all this is managed now with FTX Central v3, which I will install first before any of my old titles or before purchasing any new titles. I have a few questions to help get this scenery installed properly.

1) Since the scenery titles I have are at least 5 years old - if there are updates how do I get these? If I install the old versions will FTX Central recognize an update is needed?

2) For the downloaded titles - if I need to re-download them, where do I do this? Will FTX Central recognize, for example a PCAviator online purchase?

3) FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global openLC North America look like great packages to add. Does it matter in which order I purchase and install them in?

4) How much space should I allow on my SSD for FTX Global Base Pack, FTX Global Vector and FTX Global openLC North America?

Hello and welcome to the forums.

to answer your questions in order.

1. If your products are download versions bought from the Flight Sim Store, you can transfer their licences to

Orbx Direct and once they are installed, FTX Central will show you any updates and with one click of an icon,

update them for you.

2. Once you have transferred you product licences, you can install those products with FTX Central v3 or by

downloading files from your Orbx Direct product pages and then using FTX Central to install them.

DVD products cannot at the moment be added to an Orbx Direct account but you can install them as usual from

the DVDs and there are some updates here.

3, You should buy FTX Global Base pack first, the other two are accessories to this and if you try to use them

without FTX Global Base, you will not see what is intended and very likely be disappointed.

4. FTX Global is a set of replacement textures and adds only a few GB to the size of the simulator.

Vector is around 13.2 GB installed.

Open LC NA is about 18GB installed.

I expect that you will find this topic very useful

• 3 weeks later...

Does it matter which order I install the sceneries? For example can I install the CDROM sceneries that I already have (listed in first post) and then at a later date install the Global base, Vector and Land class products? Any special steps I need to be aware of for this type of install?

Nick - I just want to make sure I am clear on something since I haven't deeply researched this in the forums. Its been like 7 years since had installed the FSX CDROM title (see my above post for the list) and I seem to recall each installation installed a bunch of utility links such as FTX Aero, FTX Central (old version) and various control panels for the airport sceneries.

I realize FTX Central v3 resolves all this by combining everything into on package - but are these older utilities going to be interfering or cluttering up the system. How can they be deleted or should they be? And, does version 3 take care of all that or do I need to do it manually.

ftx-list2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Nick

I've purchased about 15 titles during the May sale - and as far as I can tell they've installed via FTX Central v3 properly. I saw some weird error messages during some of the downloads but according to FTX Central the installs completed. I have yet to go in and actually fly around in the new sceneries.

Prior to installing the new titles I had installed my old sceneries I had on my Orbx DVDs. FTX Central v3 shows these installed and that there are updates available for them.

My question is should I click on the title's link in FTX Central v3 that indicates an update is available to perform an update, or should I download the updates and manually install them as noted in the earlier post (shown below):

Updating from FTX Central option would be preferred - if that will work.

If the recommendation is to manually download and install, then which files do I need to install when multiple files exist for a title - for example: PNW has two SPs, PNW SP5 and PNW SP8. Do I install SP5 and then SP8, or just install SP8?

q1.JPG

Archived