So quiet

Agrajag

It has been pretty quite since John and Vincent's training entered a holding pattern!

Is anyone else flying at the moment!

I took my mother for her first flight in the two seater last weekend. The conditions were cloudy and a bit bumpy so we didn't stray far from the airfield, we wouldn't have gone far anyway because it was mums first time in such a little aircraft and she is another nervous flyer.

On every little bump she made a high pitched 'ohh!' and every turn tensed up a bit and sometimes grabbed onto something, sometimes me! It was odd, because of that she seemed a bit scared but at the same time seemed to enjoy it (lots of smiles except when turning) and wanted me to keep going! We only stayed up for 30 minutes. The approach was one of the worst I have done for awhile. Downwind was way too long and I got way too low. The winds were having trouble on deciding where they were going. One minute runway 21 was the go, the next it was 26. I picked 21 because it is sealed so was going to be smoother than the grass. On late final I had about a 6-7 knot crosswind. Given the crappy approach I got my height sorted out was pretty happy with the landing, mum seemed to be happy with it too so that was good.

She was certainly all smiles after I finished shutting down so that was another successful passenger flight. Three different nervous fliers and three that will come again (Chirstine who said "there is no chance of me getting in that thing" has been up with me three times now, I just purchased her own headset :-)).

So, things have been going well in my neck of the woods. I was hoping things were not going to be as bad as they sounded for everyone at YSCB but I guess they are :-(

I'm flying out to Hermidale (NSW Central West) from Warnervale this weekend for a mates 21st. 2.5 hours in a plane compared to 9 hours drive. Should be awesome. Really looking forward to the flying as well. It has been a while since my last nav so I have been brushing up on a few things. Hopefully grab so pics on the way out and back and will try and post them next week :)

I wish I was flying :'(

I've been too busy to do much about anything though, flat out at work, in the middle of moving office (fortunately only moving next door) and can't take any time off at the moment. I have been getting stuck into the theory most evenings though, of course that just makes me miss flying even more... :'(

Vincent.

I am looking forward to flying to my daughters place. It takes 2.5 hours by car and 1h50m by aircraft. I have to go the long way around because we aren't allowed in Class C. :-( Looking forward to the trip if this low cloud ever lets me get over the hills! (mod to severe turbulence below 5000 regularly too, I am not allowed above 5000 :-() Oh well. I can go everywhere else :-)

I have been studying weather some more. Man that is hard to really understand I reckon, it is so complex when everything is added together! Still, I am going to make these brain cells work damn it! :-) Everything else I think is easier. Air law can be pretty sleep inducing so that is hard in a different way. :-)

I am soooo looking forward to doing some navs. It looked close this weekend but it looks like I picked the wrong day. Figures.

I've been pretty quiet too. I read a bit of the theory over breakfast each morning but that's about it. I spend about 10 hours a day in front of a computer cutting code or managing people who cut code for me and a bit under 2 hours traveling (I bus it). If I want a few hours with the family each day there's precious little left to put to flight simming!

Getting close eh Alex :-) My instructor handed me the pre-solo test. I passed, then three circuits later... :-)

Ah, cutting code. I used to love that when it was just a hobby. AI related programming was my favorite. Most of the time it is boring these days, coding the same little web apps over and over again and dealing with poor/no requirements and very buggy libraries. Oh well. Sometimes I get to do something new and interesting and I get paid enough to fly a two or three hours every week so who am I to complain!

Far out nojwod, tring to make me jelous! :-)

I just did my night flight for my USA private pilots, and sufferred this scary but harmless birdstrike, not to mention being harrased by a guy on the ground with a laser pointer(that's a felony over here).

Posted Image

I am getting ready for my long solo cross country.

Agrajag,

What a cool thing - to be able to take your Mom up for a flight! Sounds like an great and enjoyable flight and i bet she was very proud too! As for me - I will have to stick to taking that multiple-personality girl in the A2A Cub as a passenger for now!  ;)

Hah, at least I'm not doing web apps Agrajag. My coding is grease monkey stuff as far from the GUI as I can get. As for the kind of software ... let's just call it glorified email at very low data rates (like 50 baud) :P.

I am itching to go flying again, I can tell you. I also had dreams of being finished by May next year when I need to do a 4 day total trip to Broken Hill. That's one full day driving each way (about 14 hours with breaks) and only 2 days there with my parents and extended family for a reunion thingy. It sure would be nice to fly out there instead!

Hah, at least I'm not doing web apps Agrajag. My coding is grease monkey stuff as far from the GUI as I can get. As for the kind of software ... let's just call it glorified email at very low data rates (like 50 baud) :P.

I am itching to go flying again, I can tell you. I also had dreams of being finished by May next year when I need to do a 4 day total trip to Broken Hill. That's one full day driving each way (about 14 hours with breaks) and only 2 days there with my parents and extended family for a reunion thingy. It sure would be nice to fly out there instead!

Yeah. I like AI/client/server and systems level programming a lot more but it was a lot easier to get a job doing web apps. I used to be mainly C/C++ but I had a look at some C not long ago. Talk about rusty! Any water involved with your messages? :-)

No movement only Goulburn front then?

not to mention being harrased by a guy on the ground with a laser pointer(that's a felony over here).

That's also a felony in Australia. We've had some serious problems with laser pointers being shone into the cockpits of landing commercial heavies, with some equally serious results.  >:(

I've also slowed down my flying a bit, mainly because i only have a few lessons left before my CPL flight, and still have 3 exams to do. I will be doing a few longer ones in the next few weeks though, one out to Ceduna (6hrs) and one to Swan Hill (5hrs). Should be fun, and should get the command hours up to CPL level!  ;D ;D

Archived