HELP!!! Norton 360 Removed FTX Files

nigsmith

Help!!!

Norton 360 has just removed several FTX Global files including FTX Global Vector Configuration Tool.exe, marking them as infected by virus Heur.AdvML.B whatever that is. It also states the source file as FTXcentral3_installer.exe (see below). 

Has installing FTX Central 3 infected my computer?  I was hoping this may be confirmed as a false positive.

If it is, Norton is refusing to let me restore the files, so how should I progress now?  I have reported this to Symantec.

Filename: ftx global vector configuration tool.exe
Threat name: Heur.AdvML.BFull Path: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\ftx global vector configuration tool.exe

On computers as of 
01/04/2017 at 17:07:24

Last Used 
04/04/2017 at 19:04:44

Startup Item 
No

Launched 
No

Threat type: Heuristic Virus. Detection of a threat based on malware heuristics.

ftx global vector configuration tool.exe Threat name: Heur.AdvML.B
Locate

Few Users
Hundreds of users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Very New
This file was released less than 1 week  ago.

High
This file risk is high.

Source: External Media

Source File:
ftxcentral3_installer.exe

File Created:
ftxcentral.exe

File Created:
ftx global vector configuration tool.exe

File Actions

File: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\ ftx global vector configuration tool.exe Removed
Directory: d:\Steam\steamapps\Common\FSX\ORBX\ftx_vector\ disabled Removed
Directory: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\disabled\ ftx australia Removed
Directory: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\disabled\ftx australia\ cvx Removed
Directory: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\disabled\ftx australia\ obj Removed
Directory: d:\steam\steamapps\common\fsx\orbx\ftx_vector\disabled\ftx australia\ exx Removed

File Thumbprint - SHA:
f5e3e92f6562e56435f4a2bc50148cbd58c8d4ffbfb445dbdc2e998975d55abb
File Thumbprint - MD5:
3488b478b4101984de15f56a341b2cd6

Thanks for any advice, I am not a computer expert so please keep advice simple!!!

Nigel

I got rid of Norton years ago, after the damages this antivirus did on my Flight Sims (FSX & P3D). Currently I'm using Microsoft Security Essential (free). Since then, so far no problem and/or issue at all; plus, sometimes, a scan with Malawarebytes. My PC is on duty most of the day, with internet (Modzilla Firefox) ON. And, more, lot of memory saved.

regards,

Fulvio

PS Even MilViz suggests to deactivate any antivirus, because it often creates falese positive, damaging the files in download.

Hello Nigel,

As Fulvio has said, sometimes anti virus software can cause more trouble than a virus.

You are not the first to ask this, so I guess they have updated and amended their virus definitions

recently.

I would tend to agree that it is more trouble than it is worth and having once had to format a hard drive

to get rid of it, Norton will never be on a PC I own.

Disclaimer: I am sure it is a wonderful product.

You should exclude your   d:\Steam\steamapps\Common\FSX folder from Norton's attention.

Then it looks like you will need to reinstall the damaged products.

You can fix the Vector control panel by

1. switching Norton off.

2. Copy the attached file back into your FTX_VECTOR folder

3. Exclude that file from the attentions of your Norton software.

4. switch Norton back on again.

Attached file download link

Hello Nigel,

To add what Nick has correctly written, please make sure, when running or installing your products to disable PUP'S (Potential Unwanted Program) and PUM'S (Potential Unwanted Modification) detections.

ditto to all of the above, I got rid of that program years ago, you will never see it on any computer I own.

I use the same as farman, you ask " so how should I progress now? " I suggest you get rid of that program.

Hi All

Thank you all for your replies and concerns.  Nick I have done as indicated in your post so hopefully that will solve it, unfortunately I recently renewed my Norton subscription so I'm probably stuck with it for another year!!!  Anyway thanks again.

Nigel

1 hour ago, nigsmith said:

Hi All

Thank you all for your replies and concerns.  Nick I have done as indicated in your post so hopefully that will solve it, unfortunately I recently renewed my Norton subscription so I'm probably stuck with it for another year!!!  Anyway thanks again.

Nigel

Nigel, with all the due respect... try to put the troubles your Norton creates to your systems prior to the money of a year subscription. 

Fulvio

14 hours ago, nigsmith said:

Hi All

Nigel

Hope  that  you have  solved your issues,  best bet  is  to get rid  of Norton  or  you might  find  yourself with the same  issue, as  you  said  you already paid  for  another  year you got  to  say to your  self is  it  worth  keeping  Norton  for  xx  dollars  and  find  down the road with more  troubles,  or   you  could  simple   exclude  nortorn  from scanning  your  fsx  folders   etc. Personally  I would get  rid  of nortorn 

On 05/04/2017 at 6:12 AM, wombat said:

ditto to all of the above, I got rid of that program years ago, you will never see it on any computer I own.

I use the same as farman, you ask " so how should I progress now? " I suggest you get rid of that program.

is Norton still bundled with new computers ?

3 hours ago, wombat said:

is Norton still bundled with new computers ?

Not  as  far  I now,  got  a new laptop  and  wasn't  included  at all, besides  you  can simple  delete it  if  itis

8 hours ago, pete_auau said:

Not  as  far  I now,  got  a new laptop  and  wasn't  included  at all, besides  you  can simple  delete it  if  itis

my computer is 18 months old and it was bundled with it then, 3 months trial I never activated it, just did as you said delete it.

it may have improved over the years but I will not trust it again and the OP is having probs so maybe it has not improved.

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

my computer is 18 months old and it was bundled with it then, 3 months trial I never activated it, just did as you said delete it.

it may have improved over the years but I will not trust it again and the OP is having probs so maybe it has not improved.

The only effective anti-virus in is Windows Defender which is embedded with Win 7/10

11 minutes ago, wombat said:

The only effective anti-virus is Windows Defender which is embedded with Win 7/10

Archived