Bell UH-1 at Tamworth (Attention Aussiecop! ;) )

Patrick Scharnowski

Thanks guys!

Superb! That is going straight to the Orbxtube favourite list and I'll put in on the Tamworth product page when the new site launches.

Feel like making some more? I need vids like this of each one of our airports and the regions. I'll send you a PM ;)

I'll answer via PM. ;)

What happened to all the AI aircraft though. Did you scare them all away?

Due to safety reasons the airport was closed for the duration of filming. Expensive but necessary. ;)

That was without doubt one of the best helo FS vids I have seen Jigsaw! Phenomenal angles, I think I will have to get some instruction on ezdok camera, if I can even achieve half of what you did in this vid I would be happy.

Wow, thanks guys!

I think I will have to get some instruction on ezdok camera, if I can even achieve half of what you did in this vid I would be happy.

It's really easy. You just have to keep in mind that you have to place the camera in a desired starting location before you can use it. Here is how:

1. You start FSX and go to your desired starting location.

2. Then you start the EZdok Walk program and click the "PLACE CAMERA IN THIS AIRCRAFT POSITION" button. By doing this EZdok Walk adds a new camera to the camera.cfg. Don't worry, it's safe*.

3. Now you have to restart FSX (that's the only downside of this great tool) and go back to your chosen location. Provided that the EZdok tool still runs in the background you can now use the camera by selecting it from the Right Click menu, and walk around freely with the cursor keys, move up and down with the Page Up and Page Down keys and "sprint" with the 0/Insert key on the Numpad and look around with the mouse. Use the sliders in the program to customize the movement behavior (speed, smoothness). It's pretty straight forward. Oh, and you should unbind these keys in the FSX controls menu or you may get into trouble. ;)

From now on the camera will start in this location every time you start FSX and you can go anywhere without limits. You only have to place it again with the button if you want to change its starting location.

* The entry in the camera.cfg defines F11 (hotkey #3) to the EZdok Camera and overrides the shortcut for the Locked Spot view. So if you use that key to get to that view you need to edit the camera.cfg and change that . I just assigned hotkey #4 (F12) to the Locked Spot view instead since I almost never use the Top Down View (the default assignment for hotkey #4).

I hope that wasn't too confusing. Let me know if you need some pointers.

Great Video!

Wish I could fly a heli like that!!

I could not agree more. I didn't think I was too bad, but quite frankly Patrick is making it look far too easy.

My excuse is that I have only ever flown the default helos or more recently the Dodosim 206 (bloody good it is too), that and I don't have rudder pedals which I think would make quite a difference. I wish Saitek would hurry up and announce some more details about their new flight system thing on the way, I'm assuming it will be something along the lines of Logitech's G940 (which I'm very interested in) but I'd hate to buy that then find Saitek's alternative could be the better option.

hmm I think I will have to subscribe to the jigsaw channel in youtube heheh.

well done patrick i am very interested in your vids too i think i might have a crack at it soon.

The rambo music is really a nice touch and yes i agree your heli flying is very good.

JV I think patrick deserves a special treat from ORBX hehe.

keep them coming patrick keep them coming hehehe  ;D

Hey Blitzer!

Along with my CH yoke and pedals I use a logitech (think its a sidewinder) joystick for Heli flying.

Just looked up the Logitech G940 and the throttle quadrant looks great.  Especially the fact that it has dual throttle control.

Not sure if you would know but would the throttle quadrant be available to purchase separatly or would this be a complete package.

I could not justify purchasing a joystick and rudder pedals when I already have these! 

Do you know of any other dual throttle quadrants available in the market?

Cheers mate!

Great Video!

Wish I could fly a heli like that!!

I could not agree more. I didn't think I was too bad, but quite frankly Patrick is making it look far too easy.

My excuse is that I have only ever flown the default helos or more recently the Dodosim 206 (bloody good it is too), that and I don't have rudder pedals which I think would make quite a difference. I wish Saitek would hurry up and announce some more details about their new flight system thing on the way, I'm assuming it will be something along the lines of Logitech's G940 (which I'm very interested in) but I'd hate to buy that then find Saitek's alternative could be the better option.

Thanks again!

I don't have rudder pedals which I think would make quite a difference.

I don't have any rudder pedal either. Just a Thustmaster Hotas X with twistable stick. It's all in the practice. ;)

i got the ezdok and fraps and followed your instructions but it wont walk around with the cursor keys and the help menu says about define the keys but how?

Do you still have the EZdok programm running when trying to walk around? If so, what does it say in the upper section. Did it find the Simconnect.dll. Did it connect to FSX? The EZdok keys can't be changed as far as I know. You just have to unbind the controls that are assigned to these keys in FSX's own control menu to avoid working the ailerons and elevators when using the cursor keys. Oh, and don't set the smoothing sliders in EZdok all the way to the right because that will stop you from moving either.

hi patrick,

I can't find how to unbind the cursor keys in fsx. everything appears to be working but I just can't move. if i hold the shift key and use the cursor keys i can look around but the pg up / dn does nothing and there is no walking. so I am at a loss?

I can't find how to unbind the cursor keys in fsx. everything appears to be working but I just can't move. if i hold the shift key and use the cursor keys i can look around but the pg up / dn does nothing and there is no walking. so I am at a loss?

You should be able to move around with EZdok walk even if you haven't unbound the keys. It's hard to tell what's wrong. If you have followed the instructions, if you have the programm running in the background and it says "Simconnect DLL: Found" and Connect to "FS: Connected" it should work. Maybe you accidently pressed the Del key on the keyboard, because that key switches the EZdok controls On and Off.

You can unbind the controls in the menu "Options->Settings->Controls". There you go to the "Button/Keys" tab, then mark the event entries Airlerons (bank left/bank right respectively) and press the Delete Key Assignment button. Then you do the same for "Pitch Up/Pitch down".

I am way to much of a visual learner to be able to figure it out from all the instructions here, I will have to wait until someone with it teaches me on TS one day, although I really want to one of these days.  AS for the controlling of the helo, I dont have pedals either, I use on of the rotators on my X52, the one on the throttle quadrant where your thumb goes, it is effortless and offers great control, your a better man than I Patrick, I never could get the twist girp to work right for me, way too frustrating.

Here's an attempt to make it more visual:

Load FSX and go the airport where you want to have the starting point of the camera, for example Cessnock:

Posted Image

Once the flight is loaded start the "EZdok Walk" program and  go to the "World Walk Camera" tab. Check if the Simconnect DLL was found and that EZ Dok is connected to FSX, this is imperative for "EZdok Walk" to work. If everything is alright you click on the "Place Camera in this Aircraft Position".

Posted Image

This dialog box will pop up. Press Ok.

Posted Image

Do what it says and restart FSX. Leave the EZdok Walk program running. Start a new flight at that airport or load the Previous Flight savegame which should load the situation before exiting FSX.

Posted Image

When the flight is loaded you have a new entry in the menu that you can access with the right mouse button:

Posted Image

Select this entry and you should find yourself in the walk camera and be able to freely move around (provided that the "EZDok Walk" programm still runs in the background).

Posted Image

The keys to control the camera can be found in the Help menu of the "EZdok Walk" program.

Posted Image

That's all there is to it. The sliders to modify the movement behavior are pretty self explainatory and the results can be tried out immediately.

now once you set that camera, you cant set other angles? you have to continually change the same angle? is that the way I understand it?

That's right. You only have one camera that you can move around. In order to make a video like mine you need to use a recorded replay and move the camera to a new position for each shot/segment or your FSRecorder replay. EZdok walk really is only a tool to freely roam the Flightsim world and recording videos. It's not well suited for use during actual flight. I didn't have any use for saveable angles.

After installing it I am still thoroughly confused, every time I load into the ezdok angle it seems to be running backwards at  a million mile an hour and then when it finally stops it has gone so far from where I have the plane the textures are a massive blurred mess, that ever happen to you?

After installing it I am still thoroughly confused, every time I load into the ezdok angle it seems to be running backwards at  a million mile an hour and then when it finally stops it has gone so far from where I have the plane the textures are a massive blurred mess, that ever happen to you?

Only when my aircraft was far away from the camera's last position. You can freely move around with the camera, even travel around the world at very high speed when you use the Acceleration or Hyperacceleration keys, but everytime you load FSX the starting point of the camera will always be the one that you initially set (where the aircraft was when you pressed the Place button) unless you define a new starting position by pressing "Place camera in aircraft position" in the program again. So, when you set the camera at Cessnock, as in the example, but then you load a flight at Hervey Bay and select the Walk Camera from the menu, the viewpoint will fly back to Cessnock at super high speed, making the textures need to catch up. So, if you want to use the camera at Hervey Bay, you first have to position it there by going to Hervey with your aircraft, pressing the Place button again and reloading the sim. Or you could manually fly the camera to Hervey with its control keys, but that will probably take longer than just placing it again and reloading the sim. It doesn't come along with the aircraft automatically.

Just looked up the Logitech G940 and the throttle quadrant looks great.  Especially the fact that it has dual throttle control.

Not sure if you would know but would the throttle quadrant be available to purchase separatly or would this be a complete package.

Sorry for the delay in replying.

I don't know for sure but I would image the G940 would only be sold as a compete package to be honest.

I don't have any rudder pedal either. Just a Thustmaster Hotas X with twistable stick. It's all in the practice. ;)

:P

I suppose you're just as good at flying the Dodo 206 as well? Obviously my Saitek Cyborg X just is not as forgiving as your Thrustmaster, yeh that must be it it could not possibly be my lack of skill - honest! lol.  ;)

I suppose you're just as good at flying the Dodo 206 as well?

I don't know. I have yet to get it. It's a little on the expensive side for an add on aircraft, but I understand it's well worth its money. I can fly the KA-50 Hokum from the Black Shark simulation like that, though, even with deactivated stabilization systems. And that is the most realistic helicopter sim that I've come across so far.

hey Patrick sorry for being a pain but I just can't get this ezdok camera working properly

ok firstly everything is ok from what i can see. it all conects ok and I can get it showing up in fsx I just cant walk.

I checked the key bindings and the keys in question are free ie the cursor keys etc are not connected to anything. Is that the problem? In the help popup it says define keys for ezdok? so I am missing a step here how to I bind the right keys for just ezdok? or what should these keys be bound to? ie what movements?

This has got to be my problem as all else looks fine by all accounts.

?????

Is that the problem? In the help popup it says define keys for ezdok? so I am missing a step here how to I bind the right keys for just ezdok? or what should these keys be bound to? ie what movements?

This has got to be my problem as all else looks fine by all accounts.

I don't think that's the problem. That "define keys" line has to do with some language problems of the Russian author. It should say "key definitions" because these keys are already defined, hardcoded into the program and can't be changed anywhere. That's why you have to unbind them in FSX in the first place (to prevent conflicts). I'm really at a loss as to why it doesn't work for you. I can only imagine either simconnect connection problems or maybe that you accidently pressed the Del key on the keypad, which is the quick on/off switch for the camera movements. Finding out if the program connects to your sim properly is easy to check, because even if you haven't placed the camera yet your head movements in the virtual cockpit should be controllable with the mouse as soon as the program is running in the background.

well it works. hmmm problem though, all i did was reset all keys back to default and the reload fsx and yes i can walk go up/down zoom all the rest so thats good but now I try to record in fsrecorder and when i stop recording (which didn't happen the first few times) it crashes before I can save the flight.

so Patrick I am wondering do you run ezdok while your recording or after. I will try that next time but I think I might give up on this for abit and leave the videos to you after all I enjoy your work and I can see how long it must take to do one video.  ;D

Archived