Surplus buildings and trees at airfields

Labradorneil

Recently reinstalled Europe/England into my FSX (now steam) - Been away using X plane 10 and very recently X plane 11 beta.

After installation - I remembered the main reason for leaving - buildings/houses at the end of runways and trees everywhere on many airfields.

The general flying using ORBX is fine - its just the pesky buildings/trees, particularly at my home airfield.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Checked EGTP in MS FSX

I see no trees or buildings actually on RW's.  There are trees on the threshold of 05 requiring a higher than normal approach however EGTP is a default airfield within Orbx EU so I dont really see a problem ....if Trees / buildings are actually on RW's then you have a scenery clash somewhere

Hope this helps

Hi Bruce e

Thanks for your efforts - thought I said 'at the end of runways' - anyway there are too many trees and buildings as I previously said..

Go on to Runway 23 and look to the end - houses, trees right on the threshold - if you think that is not a problem then maybe its back to x-plane for me.

Its such a pity as from the air everything looks great. My interests with flight sims are 95% flying a life like aircraft (A2A) with acceptable scenery (Otho4xp) and no more than 5% tweaking this that and the other on my PC. The 5% tweaking for me is a necessary evil - more than 5% kills my interest.

If you can help - please respond.

Trees close to the end of R/Ws have been a unrealistic problem in FSX since I've been using it.  I call them Microsoftus Coniferous.  I attach screen shots showing:

1. EGTP R/W 23 in FTX England scenery

2. EGTP R/W 23 in default FSX scenery (note: more trees present)

3. EGTP w/FTX England and the agcxcl_3x active (note: it doesn't help with EGTP)

With FTX England scenery the approach is not too bad but it still needs a good chainsaw treatment.

GCS_190.jpg

GCS_191.jpg

GCS_192.jpg

Hi Spud,

Thanks - I'm very impressed with the effort you have put in to help and with humour - its much appreciated.

You are right, FSX always has had a problem with trees at some/smaller airfields.

You will probably notice runway 23 has a displaced threshold - so on approach its not to bad.

If you place your aircraft on runway 23 and look to the far end (05) you will see lots of trees and worse - houses.

I can get rid of the houses, but at the expense of losing the very nice airfield buildings.

EGTP is on the north coast of Cornwall and therefore has very few trees. It tends to have low level hardy type bushes.

I appreciate that we must all compromise to some extent - but little things can cause major niggles and much frustration.

Thanks again for your much needed help

If you live local to EGTP you may be familiar with a UK company that publishes a payware package covering 78 airfields in southern England. Dont think I'm allowed name them but amongst the 78 is EGTP & it solves your problem beautifully. PM me if you need further info.

Hi Bruce e,

I know the one you mean - its photographic scenery - great at 3000' + not so good below or on the ground - not 3D

I did not think it was compatible with ORBX. If it is, how would I sort the 'Scenery Library' positioning using both - for the best results?

Its not expensive, so if you think it will improve things, I will give it a try.

It's most likely UK 2000 and there are packages for the whole of England and Wales.

The airports have a photo insert but the rest of your ORBX scenery will remain unchanged.

Very many customers use them both together with success and if you encounter a problem,

we do have the Compatibility forum to help you out.

It seems a little extreme (no pun intended:)) for a few trees though.

11 hours ago, Labradorneil said:

Hi Bruce e,

I know the one you mean - its photographic scenery - great at 3000' + not so good below or on the ground - not 3D

I did not think it was compatible with ORBX. If it is, how would I sort the 'Scenery Library' positioning using both - for the best results?

Its not expensive, so if you think it will improve things, I will give it a try.

No not the PR scenery, Orbx EU + "UK2000 VFR Airports" 

Nick mentioned them by name so I assume that's ok, if not perhaps Nick would edit my post and accept my aplogies

Thanks Bruce & Nick,

With the UK2000 VFR Airports, Where would I slot it in the 'Scenery Library'?

Actually it would be useful to me if you could indicate also the best positioning for the ORBX bits.

I notice the UK 2000 VFR airfields for my area cost £30. If it sorts out my niggles it will be well worth it.

I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Just run the self installer and follow instructions. It also has a configuration panel where if you wish you can unselect airfields to retain the Orbx default or because you have Orbx pay ware for a particular airport.

it will always b above FTX entries in the scenery linrary

Hello Guys,

I did the deed and downloaded UK2000 VFR Airfields - £29.99 - What do you think?

I think the representation of EGPT is excellent on final (see screenshot).

Getting rid of that pesky house at the end of 23R is a joy (see screenshots) 

I tried out a few more airfields that I know well - and they to are very good (accurate buildings etc)

It looks like, with regard to scenery that a combination of ORBX & UK2000 will satisfy most UK flyers.

I have felt in the past that the UK is a poor relation when it comes to airfields.

Thanks for all your help.

2017-02-22 (1).jpg

2017-02-25.jpg

2017-02-25 (1).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived