Using HDTV's as monitors for this hobby?

andrew22222

I never really thought of it but the idea sounds good.

I'm currently using a Samsung SyncMaster 2443bw 24" widescreen to display FSX and also have a smaller Samsung SyncMaster 920nw 20" widescreen to display just the radio stack, ATC and the GPS. Pedals and yoke for controls.

I've been waiting for the 24" monitor to drop it's price in sales etc (currently $370 Canadian) so I can buy another two of them but the price never drops for this specific model yet all the 20 - 23" model prices always fluctuate big time.

How about 3 X HDTV's that are always going on sale in the price wars. I'm talking about the 1080p versions not the 720p.

Does anyone here use that set up for FSX as that's got to be pretty immersive, despite taking up a lot of space ;-) Granted the TV's would cost approx $600 each for a 32" model but if your going to enjoy this hobby you may as well do it well. Even 1 big 40" screen seems like a good idea to give you that full motion feeling especially with TrackIR .

On the other hand would the resolution be too much of a drop for the VC views and crisp FTX textures?

Look forward to any ideas from anyone who's attempted this.

Thanks,

Andrew

I have never done it on a permanent setup but I have 2 42" flat screens, one LCd and one plasma, I have connected my laptop and run FSX through both, the plasma is obviously better looking, it is pretty awesome fun to do but I had some colour issues I would have worked on to correct if I ever did it on a permanent basis.  I say go for it as I am sure the small issues I had are easily overcome by someone doing it on a permanent basis.

That's good to know.

We have a 34 inch 720HD TV in the main room with a computer attached via a VGA cable that we use just for internet surfing etc. Only offers 1024 X 768 though with VGA.

I popped out earlier after writing my first post and got a hdmi to dvi adapter so I could attach the large tv to my work computer (higher specs and more graphic card plugs) and was actually pleasantly surprised at the view while doing a quick buzz around Tamworth. As it's 720 the resolution was knocked down to approx 1300 and things looked a little dark and shabby here and there but it was getting there and certainly more immersion. Around 25fps all over. Perhaps a 1080p might pull it off quite well. I'll keep an eye out in the weekly sales.

Andrew

Yes a while ago i hooked up my flightsim pc to my 40 inch Sony HD LCD, and i must say FTX looked great and peformed very well indeed it was an eye opener seeing everthing so large and i was suprised how sharp and crisp it looked on such a large screen. Ok i still prefer my 22 inch Samsung black rose monitor which i find pin sharp but the Sony looked real nice.

cheers

Iain

Hi

I use a 32inch BEnQ as my main monitor. The output is extremely good and I have been using the setup for over 2 years now. Sure you cannot get the higher resolutions available on a monitor (although mine is a 1080HD 1360 x 768) and the refresh rate is only 60Hz on mine but it runs well . I also have a second smaller wide screen HD tv as my second monitor so there is definitely no probs using them. 

Ken

40" screen! Bet it looked so different compared to your smaller monitor Ian.

Ken, you mentioned that your 1080HD tv is equal to 1360 x 768? That's the same resolution I got with the 720? I thought it would be a whole lot better starting off at 1080HD? Checking wikipedia it says 1920x1080 pixels.

I'll have a look around the internet this weekend.

Thanks,

Andrew

I picked up a Hitachi HDTV cheap in the boxing day sales. This was for the bedroom.... After some discussion and debate this relocated to my office! I have been running it for in cockpit with my 24 inch as the side monitor. Works great and it is the primary screen for my media centre.

With a vga connection it was a fuzzy  1360 x 768, however I purchased a dvi to hdmi convertor recently. I tapped the spdif sound via my sound card through my GTX280 and now my ventrillo, skype, pilot comms are played from the hdtv and everything else via my pc speakers. With the hdmi connection the screen scales at 1920 x 1080.

With a much much crisper look!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The difference between a hdmi direct connection and a vga connection is significant. My camera skills are a bit wobbly , but you get the idea...

;D

I am sold on it.

Actually I find the HDMI image to be much too sharp, at least on our 52" Sony Bravia X-Series 100Hz LCD TV. Going from HDMI back to analog VGA drops the res back to 1360x768 but it's much more natural and like a PC LCD monitor. Perhaps the latest LCD TV may have overcome this over-sharpening effect ?

Fair enuff.

This is just a cheapo 60Hz Jobbie... I imagine that the high end ones do something fancy with sharpening / colour enhancing the video signal with an onboard chipset...

Still, I would opt for 2x 30inch lcd pc monitors ( like you ) in leiu of the 40 inch if I had the cash to splash

In cockpit with trackir at 40 inch (HDTV) is still perferable IMHO to my aging but reasonable 24inch Apple cinema screen.

I wouldnt go out and buy one on my advice though...

Archived