Rivers Climbing Hills

Hangar200

Greetings,

I have FTX Global Base, Global Vector and OpenLC Europe installed.  I do not have a 3rd party terrain mesh installed. I carefully reviewed the information and manuals for the Global Base, Global Vector and OpenLC Europe.  I have set the FSX scenery "sliders" to the recommended settings.  

Recently I did some flying around Lyon, France.  The scenery is by and large wonderful, except the rivers.  The broad Rhone river as well as a couple of smaller ones don't "stay in their valleys", but rather "climb" up the sides of nearby hills…practically every hill they pass by.  

Tt7i0n.jpg

hWmIKf.jpg

They also flow over bridges.

XHSyzo.jpg

Not wanting to post an issue before searching the forums for a fix, I did so.   I ran across this from Mr. Sandmann concerning a customer with a similar problem:

"I suspect your issue is not Vector itself but rather the lack of a global add-on terrain mesh."

I respectfully disagree.  Nowhere in the literature does it state that a third party terrain mesh is necessary for many aspects of the ORBX FTX scenery to appear normal.  In fact, on page 12 of the FTX Global Vector User Guide, it states that a 3rd Party terrain mesh product (specifically PILOT's FSGlobal2010 FTX edition),  "…is not required or mandatory,…"  I admit that is true enough although I think it is equivocal.  

Regardless, is there a fix or setting I can implement, short of purchasing and installing a 3rd Party terrain mesh, that will correct these not insubstantial scenery errors?

Cheers!

R/ WCK 

In short, no.

The depiction of rivers in default FSX and P3D is lamentable.

Default rivers result in spurious cliffs and climbing and stepped water all over the simulator.

FTX vector makes a far better job of placing rivers than does the default FSX and P3D.

Given the poor level of detail of the mesh in the standard form of both simulators, moving

the rivers will inevitably result in anomalies such as seen in your screen shots.

Even the very best mesh will not alleviate every anomaly but it will go a long way in the right

direction.

Orbx has also partnered with PILOT’s who have released a download version of their worldwide FSGlobal2010 Mesh product, called the “FTX Edition”. This is the mesh product Orbx beta testers used when testing Vector and although it is not required or mandatory, it’s a quick solution to provide a worldwide mesh which you can purchase and download from the flightsimstore.com – this is a ~24GB download though so be aware that’s a lot of data!
Vector also works perfectly fine with FSGenesis and a myriad of other freeware meshes available. The most important thing to remember is that Vector corrects all airport elevations to their real-world elevations. This means if the mesh you are using is not accurate, you may see plateaus or trenches at airports. The best way to solve this issue is to invest in a global mesh product that provides the most accuracy.

There is freeware mesh available.

Thanks for the answer. :)  Not exactly what  was hoping for, but no worries…that's life.

I may be tempted to add a bit of scenery - a few white water kayakers shooting the big, hilly rapids on the Rhone.  ;) 

With The Flight Sim Store currently offering the PILOTs FTX version at half price, based on your reply, I have decided to go that direction.  Thanks again for the suggestion.

Cheers!

Archived