--4 Seasons of AU BLUE--

timest

XGraphics will give them to you. 

Look in Flight1, its not too expensive. 

I bought the bundle with Active Sky X the real and themed weather application. 

Other people swear by Flight Environment x, but there are some really good weather, cloud and ground shadow programs out there.

Sorry macca, but XG does not provide cloud shadows, at least it didn't last time I used it ;)

We can add *static* cloud shadows to FTX if people want them. Not too hard to do, but it means the shadows are "fake" and part of the textures. You would need to switch them in and out depending on the weather being used.

i.e. Overcast/broken clouds - switch in the the fake cloud shadows. Clear skies? Switch them out again. Maybe I should poll this and see if there is demand?

BTW - nice comparison shots Timbo!

Christian Buchner of TileProxy fame talks about the possibility of dynamic clouds here

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=147&topic_id=270450&mode=full

Static clouds shadows would be good too! Can you write a utility that uses SimConnect to get the current cloud coverage and then adds shadows appropriately? 

Would it work like this?

1) User selects weather in FSX (say "Building Storms") and loads flight.

2) User switches to your utility and it looks at current 3D cloud coverage and writes shadows on FTX textures based on that coverage?

3) User switches back to FSX

I must say in reply to John's post that I for one would not be interested in seeing static ground shadows - moving clouds, need moving shadows for me, and I don't know how feasible this would be given the way FSX creates and displays clouds, I would imagine there would be a fair performance hit at the very least, and would only every be an approximation of what is happening in the sky.

I must say in reply to John's post that I for one would not be interested in seeing static ground shadows - moving clouds, need moving shadows for me, and I don't know how feasible this would be given the way FSX creates and displays clouds, I would imagine there would be a fair performance hit at the very least, and would only every be an approximation of what is happening in the sky.

I'm not entirely sure that you would notice the lack of movement of the shadows when in the air.  Sure if you were in a fixed elevated position looking down at the shadows you would notice it, but in an aircraft...?

Cheers,

I'm not entirely sure that you would notice the lack of movement of the shadows when in the air.  Sure if you were in a fixed elevated position looking down at the shadows you would notice it, but in an aircraft...?

Cheers,

No, probabaly not, but it would mean some area's of land will always be dark, which would be a shame - if it's something you could turn on or off, then you could chose, and that would be fine.

I was hopeing for DX10 to bring cloud shadows to the ground .. and god rays .. however, as we all know by now, that didn't happen! Hopefully the ace's team have cloud shadowing someplace on the agenda. Would give the virtual world a lot more of an emersive feel.

I would vote for shadows. I also have Genx for England and the areas that were photographed early, or later, in the day, have nice long shadows and makes a huge difference to the reality and 3D effect. I will grab some screenies.

Archived