Square winter textures in Northern Germany with FTX Global

Er!k

Hello,

Today did a short flight in FSX from EKCH to EDDF. In flight I saw the following:

2016_11_8_10_30_20_902.jpg

2016_11_8_10_29_53_952.jpg

This does not look normal?! Further on the flight the blend was much better, but this area is horrible :( Is this a bug?

31 minutes ago, KVSandleben said:

Whenever the actual weather setting for an area has snow fall, then these textures are rendered to represent that.

If I am not mistaken, the actual weather is not reflected by the ground textures. They are arbitrary set according to a table of geographic coordinates and months of the year. Only the actual clouds and precipitation could be seen with the proper engine.

2 hours ago, Er!k said:

Hello,

Today did a short flight in FSX from EKCH to EDDF. In flight I saw the following:

This does not look normal?! Further on the flight the blend was much better, but this area is horrible :( Is this a bug?

It does not look normal indeed. With Global only or Global with OpenLC EU I don't see any snow on November, 8th 2016 at these coordinates and if there was some I think would be better blended. Unfortunately, I don't see why you see that. Have you done the migration diagnostic ?

Erik, go to your OrbX folder within the sim main folder, you have a troubleshooter sub-folder with a troubleshooter.exe in it. Run it. It will open a DOS window. Does it say whether Global miss files or not ? Also,  you are with Central 2 or the new Central 3 ?

7 minutes ago, dominique said:

Erik, go to your OrbX folder within the sim main folder, you have a troubleshooter sub-folder with a troubleshooter.exe in it. Run it. It will open a DOS window. Does it say whether Global miss files or not ? Also,  you are with Central 2 or the new Central 3 ?

Hi Dominique, I am on the new Central 3. I have run the tool. Outcome:

Knipsel.png

7 minutes ago, dominique said:

Hi Dominique, I am on the new Central 3. I have run the tool. Outcome:

Knipsel.png

Ok, good , no problemhere, in some case the migration went awry with some users and some textures missing. But I cannot go further than that as an user. It seems weird looking to me anyway.  Maybe one of the not so terrific Landclass calls that the default does all over the world. Remember Global gives you the textures only but does not place them where they belong. For that you need either OpenLC EU or the Northern Germany Region.  

Hi guys,

Karsten's answer was the correct one. It's been hard-coded in FSX/P3D since release that active snowfall will force landclass ground textures (but not photoreal bgl files!) to dynamically switch to their corresponding "hard winter" variant, regardless of what the seasons control file wants the local season to be. Even in mid-summer, if you select the "Winter Wonderland" weather theme, for example, you'll see this change-over. Unfortunately, there's no blending at all between texture tiles, hence the sharp edges and checkerboard pattern.

If this happens again, and you want to keep the current weather, then the best approach is to select the Scenery Library menu and click on OK, which will force all of the hard-winter textures to be loaded right away, sparing you the strange tiling.

Cheers, Holger

Archived