dominique

In the last P3D iteration, the "Avatar now supports weapons and designators including the ability to fire and aim guns". When the Avatar came to this world with 3.0. I had the suspicion that the LM P3D team has the long term goal to design an "ARMA Pro" type of simulator of the global battlefield. This is, after all, LM's business, not software for cheapskate flying schools or never happy consumers, and the only valid reason that I see why the LM shareholder would pump money into P3D. 

That raises for us a few interesting issues for the civilian hobby like :

- Simulating a battlefield means they have now to add a true communications module and I don't see a C2 without a good ATC ;  

- with the fleshing out of Avatar on the mil side, are the 3rd party developers going to find a civilian job for the Avatar ;)? He is useless now, just a gimmick. You take him for a couple of walks and forget about him afterwards...   Maybe OrbX has some ideas here ?

PS  : this post may belong to the P3D forum but I wouldn't be surprised at all if DTG would pull something similar to the Avatar . 

Well, I find the Avatar quite useful for walking the fences and in and out of buildings I'm beta testing for, dare I say it, a freeware scenery designer.

John

1 hour ago, TheGreenToad said:

The LM site says that "New features have also been added to the Professional Plus version including weapons support for avatars, ...", so I guess this whole advanced avatar thing is not meant for the "normal" users.

The gun-toting Avatar is indeed not for the Academic or Pro versions. What is intriguing is the long term goal of LM here and whether the civilian developers can imagine to match this development and make it (him ? her ?) any useful in a non-military environment. Getting out of an aircraft and walking out of the airport, has its limits in today state of the art sceneries. Adding RPG (pun non intended) interactive dimensions ? Would they go First Person (as in FPS w/o weapon) ? In a nutshell, could it be a game changer ? I don't think so - OrbX Bob has been here for quite a while without generating anything really new in terms of gaming - but, again, it is intriguing to see LM doing that and there are plenty of imaginative and bright folks in this industry. Worth watching...

Archived