Does it matter if my ORBX files are in D and my FSX in C?

dirtyroger

moved my fsx installation from D drive to a new C ssd drive.  The ORBXs originally showed as only allowing forthe old installation path on D. How do I tell the installer I want the program to go elsewhere.  I found my previous post and the answer regarding fsx registry tool.  However, I cannot find any Prepar3d V1, V2, or V3 to help link/fix.

NOTE the installation of the installer can be changed.  The installer will not let me change installation paths.

Thanks

By design the Orbx addons should be installed into the sim's directory i.e P3D in your case. Many FTX products add some files to areas within the P3D files not just adding new FTX files into the bog standard Addon's Scenery & Texture. By that I mean that many other sceneries by other developers will only consist of the Scenery & Texture folders contained within that addon. FTx in many circumstances will need to add for example bgl files into your scenery\world\scenery folder which is contained within the P3D directory.

I never install FTX addons outside of the P3D directory but I believe you can "simlink" them if absolutely necessary. Other people will need to advise you how to do that if you still want to go that route. What I tend to do though is put a lot of the non orbx addons, most of which are airports and only contain scenery & texture folders, onto a separate drive. 

If you think about it, if you install a new FTX item that requires some files being written in to the P3D directory folders, but initially choose to locate the new addon into a different drive, you will end up with missing files as the new addon will not be able to find folders like scenery\world\ scenery or Effects or Textures etc. 

Seeing as you have invested in a new SSD I would take this opportunity and do a fresh install of all your FTX addons into that drive as well. Maybe it will take a while but you will have every one in it's designed location and on a high speed drive which will only be of benefit.

If you want to change drives then use a program called junction link magic. When you install Orbx products they will still go to your fsx root ORBX folder and then be redirected to your new drive so you never have to change installation paths. Works like a charm and zero issues.

Archived