OOMs anywhere near Seattle

Hi,

I own a bazillion ORBX products, including the vast majority of airports in PNW.  At this point, using P3D v3.2, anytime I get anywhere within about 50-100NM of Seattle, I'm having intense VAS issues and the sim terminates with an out of memory error.  Right now I have the terrain radius slider at 4.5, and autogen and scenery sliders at 50% for the top one and one tick down for the bottom 2 (I can't recall their names off the top of my head.)  I'm using 2048 texture size, and I have the lowest texture settings in REX4 Texture Direct + Soft Butts.  Terrain mesh is at 5m.  AI Traffic is completely disabled.

What else can I do aside from disable a ton of airports?

I understand that having as many addon airports as I do is going to be a problem, but I'm starting to wonder if there's another problem with my sim.  Right now I simply can't get anywhere near Seattle in my A2A Comanche.  I'll start a flight at say CYQQ with about 1.2GB free, and by the time I get about 20NM from KORS, I'm having warning dings under 250MB free.

If it'd be helpful, I could list all the airports I own, but suffice it to say it's almost the entire list.

I'm looking for any other ideas.  I could keep turning sliders down, but I'm honestly not noticing that large a difference at this point - I get the OOMs at about the same point with the autogen/scenery sliders one tick higher as well.  I could keep turning LOD radius down as well, and that might help, but 4.5 is already *somewhat* low.

Would the best option just be to disable a ton of airports that I won't be super close to, and just avoid any scenic roaming flights over there?

Might a complete reinstall (ugh) help?

Looking for any ideas here.  I know I'm asking a lot of the sim.

Thanks!

-stefan

Change to 1024 textures.  You will not notice a huge difference anyway.  Also consider reducing the size of your weather textures.  Clouds and such will all still look really good, even at 512.

Probably the area you describe is not so much Seattle but the San Juan Islands and Victoria/Vancouver (well, I admit Seattle downtown is pretty brutal also).

Clearly something is not right - but maybe not so broke that you need a fresh install.  Are you starting a flight and executing the flight without accessing menus, selecting aircraft, etc.?  I can make a flight alright in that area, but I have to have it pretty much set up and saved in advance.  If I fly aircraft A in some other region, and then attempt to fly aircraft B in Orcas Island (for example), then I am doomed. 

Do you run Vector?  Some people claim that if they disable some or all of Vector's options then it helps a lot in the full-fat regions (they are not needed in the FTX regions anyway, all of that vector data goodness is already built in).  Cannot speak to this myself but it is something that gets discussed, so might be worth testing.

I already have all clouds and such at 512.  I'll try textures to 1024 but I recall it kinda making cockpit textures wonky.  We'll give it a shot though.

I start the flight by disabling scenery away from where I'll be via SceneryConfigEditor.  THen I load P3D to the menu.  Pick my airplane, location, set weather to Active Sky Weather, and set time, and hit go.

I'll look into disabling vector.

THanks for the advice, I'll give some of that a shot!

-stefan

Not sure how much disabling the scenery really helps.  You know I don't even do that anymore, in P3D.  If you have LOD set to 4.5 as you noted in your post, it should not matter. 

Try having your airplane and your location 'preset' as a saved flight and launch your sim that way.  Then you can adjust time & weather without a major disruption.  But loading aircraft A when you start the sim, along with one scenery environment, already eats into your allowable memory limit.  Then you change aircraft, and add all that new scenery, via menus and it uses up more of your VAS limit.  So try having a few good saved flights and launch your sim that way, by clicking on those flights.  It does help a bit in memory hungry areas.

I think between that and the textures, you should free up some resources.

Also review what kind of shadow settings you have.  You might have to dial back on those a bit.

49 minutes ago, Ripcord said:

Not sure how much disabling the scenery really helps.  You know I don't even do that anymore, in P3D.  If you have LOD set to 4.5 as you noted in your post, it should not matter. 

Try having your airplane and your location 'preset' as a saved flight and launch your sim that way.  Then you can adjust time & weather without a major disruption.  But loading aircraft A when you start the sim, along with one scenery environment, already eats into your allowable memory limit.  Then you change aircraft, and add all that new scenery, via menus and it uses up more of your VAS limit.  So try having a few good saved flights and launch your sim that way, by clicking on those flights.  It does help a bit in memory hungry areas.

I think between that and the textures, you should free up some resources.

Also review what kind of shadow settings you have.  You might have to dial back on those a bit.

I was told in no uncertain terms by a number of people that VAS is not affected by shadow settings the last time I brought up doing that (it's probably in my post history somewhere.)  Are you sure that's correct?  If nothing else, there's a severe lack of accurate documentation on this stuff ;)

I could try the saved flight thing, but unless I'm sure it'll help, it's kind of an ordeal to set up.  With Preload off and loading into the scenario screen or whatever it's called, it shouldn't matter anyways I don't think, and I have preload disabled.  A lot of addon planes do not react well to being loaded after another addon plane so I'll need to have saved flights for every airplane and airport combination and I'm not sure how viable that is.

-stefan

Maybe in V3 the shadows are less of a consequence.  I am still running V2, and I don't claim to be an expert in any case.  Go with what the LM guys are telling you, obviously.

If preload is off then I think that solves that, doesn't it?

Just throwing out some things to try.

I just did a flight from WA90 to KFHR and stayed about 500MB free the entire time.  It's a fairly short flight and I seem to suffer more on longer flights, but I disabled traffic and set Texture size to 1024.  I still think there's something wrong somewhere, but I'm not sure where.  I'm strongly considering a complete reinstall.  I used the Estonia Migration Tool to install a couple things - Tongass Fjords X, A2A Cub, A2A Spitfire - since they don't have P3D versions available, and I'd hate to lose them since all 3 get a ton of use.  I wonder if using that did something bad, but I'd think it's unlikely for just those 3 things.  Possible though.  Those and a couple utilities (FS Flight Keeper and I think another one) are all I used that for.

-stefan

Edit: I wonder if OZx stuff is causing problems.  Or something else - I just remembered I was getting OOMs around Anchorage, too, which seems very odd.

Archived