openLC North America VAS increase ?

ChuckOman

Was about to upgrade to openLC NA for FSX & P3D, but have seen half a dozen posts here saying VAS use is markedly increased after openLC NA install.  Can't find any responses or discussion in the openLC NA manual.  What is Orbx's view on this ?  Is it a significant concern for users ?  If you install openLC NA, do you have to drag the autogen sliders way back to compensate ?

14 minutes ago, davecessna said:

Orbx seems to not be responding to support requests on the matter. Safe bet says they will say we are the minority and sweep us under the rug.

I think all issues are carefully considered.  However there is also the question of the limitations of a 32 bit platform for the software that was never designed to go anywhere near the demands placed on it by complex airliners, weather and cutting edge scenery.

Also, you can't discount that many users such as myself can fly in OLC NA from one end to the other without experiencing OOMs or major blurries, and my system is not top shelf by any means.  So, some of the onus on getting software to work to its best does remain with the user.  If I was unable to fly in OLC NA satisfactorily it would have been reported as a show stopper in the testing phase, by not only me but the other testers.  The fact that wasn't, and the vast majority of purchasers haven't reported problems, says to me that there's nothing intrinsically wrong with the scenery, and if you have a suitable computer, there should be no impediment to you purchasing it with confidence.

There really isn't that much VAS increase.  I am using it in VR (VR uses up more VAS than monitors) and I can fully enjoy openLC NA.

90% it is non-optimized FSX addons designed for FSX being used in P3D (this consumes little more vas than normal).

Speaking as an ORBX fan, I don't think anyone can claim anything about the vast majority of users, since nobody knows the percentage of payware customers that come here and file reports.  How many customers never become a part of the ORBX forum, and never even think about posting error reports anywhere online?  Nobody knows that answer.

5 hours ago, MotoDave said:

Speaking as an ORBX fan, I don't think anyone can claim anything about the vast majority of users, since nobody knows the percentage of payware customers that come here and file reports.  How many customers never become a part of the ORBX forum, and never even think about posting error reports anywhere online?  Nobody knows that answer.

Well that's just plain silly.  To suggest that a lack of complaints about a product cannot be used as a gauge as to how well it works defies credibility.  Think about it.

If there are specific areas with a notable increase in VAS usage, please post a location along with the increase relative to the same area without OpenLC NA installed. It is expected that a product that adds more textures, higher density autogen, and higher granularity texture placement will have an increase in memory usage to compensate, but if there is an area that is showing abnormally high usage, it can be looked in to. 

Alex - if I can jump in here to share. Ever since installing OLC NA I can no longer fly in the New York City area. It's OOM as soon as I change a cockpit view after loading a flight at KLGA. I am using Drzewieki Design New York City X and DD KLGA extract. This is a high memory area no doubt, let alone the additional DD scenery, but it was optimized and performing very well before installing OLC NA. Was also using UTX. I did deactivate OLC NA to see if the OOMs would stop, they did not. Scratching my head on this one.

I did try other 'memory taxing' areas of the US, Los Angeles, Seattle, San Diego, (Have all the known 3rd party airports for these areas) and although I did see an ever so slight decrease in performance, no OOMs yet. Actual simulated flights to these areas have not been flown yet.

Would be very curious if anyone else reading this has experienced the same issues in the NYC area? Hoping for a fix.

Best,

Robert

order# FSS0504860

Hi Alex, as RealGoldfinger mentioned, New York is one such location. Try doing circuits in a jet and you'll notice free VAS will steadily decline and not reach a minimum value until OOM. The Toronto Canada area gives me this issue as well.

We can all appreciate a higher consumption of VAS due to better LC depiction of cities, but what I'm seeing looks more like P3D's memory management system is holding on to assets and not properly releasing them. This wasn't the case pre-installation. I even just completed a full reinstall and can confirm this issue only arises after installing OpenLC/migration. 

In case anyone is interested. The only way I was able to successfully fly from FlyTampa CYUL to FlyTampa CYYZ without any OOMs is by doing the following:

1. Turn off some of the options in the FlyTampa Configurator for both airports, such as Transparent Glass and interiors, 3D grass, Animated Cars and Apron Traffic etc. which is really sad because these are the things that make the sim look more realistic.
  2. Deactivate FTX Global Airports and Orbx openLC Europe (since I was flying in North America)
  3. Deactivate FTX Vector, which leads me to the question.... what's the point of buying it if I couldn't use it?
  4. Have all other airport scenery, other than the two above, deactivated.

That said, I can't wait for a decent 64bit simulator. IF Xplane had more add-ons available, I'd switch in a heartbeat.

Archived