OOM errors after latest ORBX library update.

Paul Anderson

System: WinXP, 3 gig ram, video Nvidia GTX730 TI with 2 gig ram.

Have FTX Global, Vector, Pilots world mesh, HD trees, latest vector update.

Since ORBX library update (ran fine with previous update) get oom error within a minute or two.

Have FTX Central version 1, version 2 won't install. Neither will the lights configurator program (I mentioned over 2 years ago).

Is this because WinXP no longer supported?

Is there a way I can roll back the library update to the previous one?

Any advice would be appreciated as FSX is now pretty much useless.

Thanks in advance.

Windows XP doesn't support the Microsoft .net framework version 4+ and this is why there is a disclaimer

on the product purchase page.

Note: This product requires that the .Net 4.5 Framework is installed on your PC. This means that the minimum Operating System required is Windows Vista SP2. Orbx recommends using Windows 7, 8.1 or 10.

Ok, thanks. Will look into getting a new computer with Win7 64 bit.

Don't think the info you mentioned was there on original purchases.

Have net framework with 4.0 and extended version.

If you have a remedy for WinXP, would save a retired geezer a trip to the computer store.

Thanks again, still interested if there is any rollback to previous ORBX library setup.

Hi Paul

Something to think about for a budget...  consider second-hand.  A few years ago before my current system I looked to upgrade and found a year-old gaming computer being sold by someone who was heading overseas.  Still top of the range then, it was an i7-920 that served me well for (I think) over 5 years.  The seller had spent over $4000.  I bought it for $2000 and sold the second video card, a couple of hard drives etc, and it cost me less than $1200 in the end.  (Might have been less than $800 I can't really remember).  Anyway itt was agood saving.  I still have the enormous power supply and the case running my current setup.

So, just check your local area free ads for gaming computer.  Generally a 1 year old computer costs about 60% of a new one.  And, there's not much a seller can hide.  If it powers up and you can run some demanding software on it it's unlikely to have any problems.  

Minimum spec would be an i7 4790 or similar in an i5, with a GTX 970 card or very close to it.  A nice big SSD would be an extra bonus.

I do have a copy of the old libraries on my drive, I could ask the powers that be whether it can be shared still :-)

But at the same time, unless you are planning on never updating your scenery or buying any more ORBX stuff, you will find that the old way has gone forever.  The advantages of upgrading will become obvious in time.

If you want me to ask let me know.

Thanks for the offer John. I would like to think the ORBX folks would post a link here IF they think the previous libary version would fix my predicament. At present I'm just looking at global improvements to FSX, will be interested in the land classes when they are all available. I checked the xml files and scenery cfgs for double entries, didn't find any. Commented out object flow in fsx.cfg and changed to dll.xml objectflow to disabled=True. Flight lasted about 5 minutes but when tried to land at a small airport had another OOM. My current focus is on getting the house renovated for sale and moving to an apartment or condo where I don't have to deal with stairs. If there is no FSX ORBX library remedy, guess I'll be out of simming for about a year (started with the old wire frame version about 30 years ago). Hope someone at ORBX can help, thanks again.

Hi, Richard. From what I can find the free Win10 update expired July 29. In any event, it seems like it's a fresh install and all programs would be gone. Will try to reinstall FSX on XP again and rebuild what addons I can in a few days if nobody has a cure. Thanks.

Customers keep being able to migrate after that date. MS seems not lock the process yet. With migration, you keep all what you had in the previous OS. I did it three time for the family and have no trouble

First of all, many thanks to you John and Richard.

I did not need to migrate OS (would have had to rebuild FSX, and resinstall much else).

I downloaded and ran the migration tool from WinXP to Win7. It showed I would not have gameport access for my old Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback joystick.

That's an extra $200+ I don't want to spend more money on right now. When the time comes it will be a new 64 bit computer with new devices (joystick, cd/dvd upgrade, drivers, etc.)

With the previous library install had ooms, but noticed a long time on startup spent on loading terrain detail.

I lowered the terrain mesh sliders to about half, set lod radius back to default 4.5, voila!

Bumped object complexity up to very dense and still ran great.

Can't thank you guys enough for the nudge in that direction.

Please consider this post closed.

Thanks again.

So, a final question (maybe).

I know you folks have to deal with people have different operating systems, configurations, etc.

Must keep you very busy.

I noticed FSX scenery slider recomendations in pdf docs vary from FTX global, Vector, Pilots world mesh, etc.

Guess it's a muck about finding what works for you.

True?

(Just had a bsod closing FSX on good flight that Nvidia was the error, don't believe it, reducing LOD raidus again, thought I'd push it to 6.5 after 4.5 worked ok)  

Must drive you guys nuts.

Archived