Autogen Shadows

Wayne

Thanks to the team for a superb addon for FSX - its made the transition from FS9 worthwhile.

Id like to report one small problem - though I am not sure if its my system or the FTX product. Ive noticed that some (not all) autogen trees cast a rectangular shadow. Any advice on this would be welcome. See screenshot for an example.

Posted Image

Thanks.

Wayne

Hmm most unusual Wayne, first time that has been reported. Can you provide us with your PC specs, operating system version, video card brand and memory and also any other addons you've installed before/after FTX? Can't guarantee a solution, but that info may help us pinpoint it a little.

Hi guys,

it's possible that the "vector autogen" along roads is placed as objects rather than "normal" autogen. In that case having "ground shadows" activated might cause the simplistic (cruciform) models of the trees to cast these rectangular shadows.

In general it is recommended that casting ground shadows is deactivated, simply because it has quite the impact on fps. However, if you prefer to keep this function active, and my reasoning is correct, then I'm afraid there's nothing we can do about this.

Cheers, Holger

I think Holger's explanation fits - since it's the tree "objects" we've added to the sides of the roads which are showing. I never use ground shadows anyway - FPS hog and does not add to the realism to be honest.

There is one potential workaround - turn off the trees bounding the roads, but that means fiddly tweaking with system files which may cause more problems than it solves. Best to turn of ground shadows.

John

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I've checked over a wide area and can confirm it is only the trees on the sides of the roads which are showing a shadow. As you advise these are "objects" rather than "normal" autogen then I agree Holger's explanation is unfortunately right.

Wayne

Archived