openLC NA Night Lights Fail

downscc

Been flying daytime flights all week around the US admiring for the most part the new openLC product. Today I tried a night flight to witness your New night lighting tech to major cities!

Not so good.  Departing KEWR I could see major highway lighting but not the city proper.  Same on arrival to Orlando KMCO approaching Daytona in my descent I expected something but got nothing but a few main highways.  I started to notice city lighting as I descended below 6000.  My LOD is max 6.5, relatively high end system using GTX980Ti.  No other addons in the Daytona area except Orbx Global Base and Vector and openLC NA.

Disappointed:

DarkDaytona_zpsulfhcinm.jpg

Hi Dan,

perhaps the "fail" is with your installation as both of those areas are included in the large number of cities with the enhanced night lighting. Do you have an entry in your scenery library menu named "FTX_NA_!OLC_LIGHTS"?

My first screenshot is of KMCO at 14,000ft above the city facing the airport, with LOD_RADIUS of 4.5 (though LOD only affects autogen display range, which the new lighting system is not).

The second screenshot is above KEWR heading SW.

Cheers, Holger

oepnLC NA - nightview above Orlando facing S.jpg

oepnLC NA - nightview above KEWR Newark facing SW.jpg

Yes sir, that is entry is in the scenery.cfg, I am not seeing any of the lighting effects you see between the brightly lit highways. I have most sliders on display and scenery settings all the way to right and I have HDR on... maybe this is an HDR setting?

Holger, looked at Newark and Orlando in slew mode instead of flying and I do see the city lighting effects but they are very dim at altitudes above 6000 and virtually disappear at flight levels.  I made a few adjustments to HDR brightness with no effect. Using a pretty good Samsung 32-in 2K monitor.

I guess the effects are primarily for the low level prop guys.  Too bad, it's very cool to see the lights of Las Vegas from Prescott Valley AZ or further, lights definitely do not dim at altutude if the air is clear and dry.

16 hours ago, downscc said:

Holger, looked at Newark and Orlando in slew mode instead of flying and I do see the city lighting effects but they are very dim at altitudes above 6000 and virtually disappear at flight levels.  I made a few adjustments to HDR brightness with no effect. Using a pretty good Samsung 32-in 2K monitor.

I guess the effects are primarily for the low level prop guys.  Too bad, it's very cool to see the lights of Las Vegas from Prescott Valley AZ or further, lights definitely do not dim at altutude if the air is clear and dry.

This has been my gripe for a while now. Up at flight levels the lighting does not look realistic at all. I have FTXG, Vector and all OpenLC's and at night, not very realistic. I have done plenty of cross country flights at night here in the US and when overflying a city say at FL340 you can see everything nice and lit up and bright. On P3D with aforementioned products you don't see this at all. This IMO is Orbx's one glaring fault with their software. Looks great down low but terrible up high.

I am not experiencing your issues so there must be a reason that it is happening.  I'm sure you will get it figured out with the amount of knowledge there is on this forum.  I think the new night lighting is a huge improvement.  I fly high and fast a majority of the time and I  enjoy night flying nearly as much as daytime flying.

I do think the city lighting, with the exception of the major street lighting, could be a little brighter at higher altitudes.  I am glad you don't see the rolling lighting that you used to experience.

One curiosity I have is why you see highway lights at night.  Most highways, even interstate highways, are not lit up once you leave the exterior of the cities.  Certainly not a big deal though.

Do you use any shader tweaking programs?  I use PTA and my lights are very bright. The program has a setting to adjust the luminosity of city lights at night. Very visible from the flight levels too!  Best of all it's free and is very easy to revert back to the default shaders if needed!

chicago_night.jpg

17 hours ago, KORDATC said:

Do you use any shader tweaking programs?  I use PTA and my lights are very bright. The program has a setting to adjust the luminosity of city lights at night. Very visible from the flight levels too!  Best of all it's free and is very easy to revert back to the default shaders if needed!

chicago_night.jpg

What settings specifically are you using to get these in PTA? I have it but will adjust it to what your settings are.

Archived