Orbx Options not showing FSX:SE or P3D

akmatov

Running FSX:SE.

Just installed FTX Global Base Pack and noticed that the Options screen only included FSX after I ran the FTX Configuratior.  There was no listing for FSX:SE or P3D.  Is that normal?

Orbx Options.jpg

Hi Akmatov, it's possible you installed in the past the classic FSX, in this way, using then FSX SE there is a conflict in the registry. Using the registry Fix tool inside FTX central, you can set the right directory for FSX SE, then i guess that the FTX global installer would work as expected. Otherwise, if you have never had classic FSX installed, the folders that the installer would use are exactly the same.

Thx Maurizio for the fast reply.  However, searching  FTX Central and the Orbx FTX Definitive Guide I neither find that tool nor to I find it mentioned.  Where exactly is it located?

Nick,

FSX:SE is the only simulator installed

My initial install gave me no simulator version choice at all - not FSX not FSX:SE or P3D.

Maurizio Giorgi

Using the registry Fix tool inside FTX central, you can set the right directory for FSX SE, then i guess that the FTX global installer would work as expected. Otherwise, if you have never had classic FSX installed, the folders that the installer would use are exactly the same.

Given there is no Registry Fix Tool in FTX Central, I dredged up a memory of using the FTX Configuratior in the Orbx\Scripts folder.  This resulted in a choice of FSX.

If I understand you correctly, if I select the choice of 'FSX', the only choice offered, and not FSX:SE, which I have seen in the past, then everything is set correctly?  Please confirm this understanding?  I'm going to be installing a huge amount of Orbx today and really would like to do it right and only once.

Indeed there is a registry fix tool in C:\Users\Your name\AppData\Local\Orbx\FTXCentral

The same tool can be downloaded from the freeware page.

Use that to check that your FSX registry entry points to where you have installed FSX Steam Edition.

OH MY GOD - this is insane!

I greatly appreciate this knowledge of the existence and location of this really useful tool, but hiding it down there turns Orbx installation into a scavenger hunt for hidden tools!

Please Please include this in the Setting section of FTX Central and read the text of of the freeware Registry Fix Tool. It states it relates to the Orbx FTX AU SP3 DVD installer, not to any other issues - who would have guessed..

I have seen this before with your firm.  You, plural second person 'you', are so close to the data that you don't realize some of your customers have no idea how to do some things and where to find the pieces when things go wrong.  I strongly suggest consideration be given to a v2.1 of the Orbx FTX Definitive Guide.  There is a lot of very interesting information on what might be called the theory of FTX scenery, but no simple step by step guide to installing your wonderful products with notes on what to do if there are problems, like mine today.  Yes, this would take a small bit of time, but it would save a lot more time dealing with support.  

Best wishes and once again thx for the help

Screenshot_1.jpg

Archived