Trees and Buildings on Runways / Runways & Tarmac different surfaces

Paul Edwards

Hi Paul,

I should add on more thing about the new Clone. The entire new drive should be one (Single) partition, the clone from the original drive will most likely only have a full Disk partition of between 70-80Gb, what you require on the new drive is the existing OS/FSX/ProSim setup on the larger capacity SSD or HDD drive having unfettered access to the entire disk partition.

I too would like to thank Jeff for his overwhelming support to Paul here. His input and assistance has been truly commendable. It just goes to show how support on some initially assumed daunting problems faced by an OP can be talked through and potentially resolved by members here on the forums. Kudos to you Jeff.

Couldn't agree more...just wish I could send him a slab of beer.   Fingers crossed it all works but feeling confident.

Nick can I ask one stupid question...I am going to download again new versions of sp4 and all other recommended downloads I n this post.

As mentioned my Sim isn't connected to the net so I will use my connected computer and save download to an external HD before transferring.

Just to confirm There is no issue with this method?

...and I should be prompted for my validation key at some point during the download?

Regards and a big thanks for your help.

Paul 

jjaycee1, Nick & Paul  appreciate your kind words, as Nick knows I'm not known for short replies, this thread was quite small novella, but am happy to help out where possible, putting myself in the OP's shoes so to speak, I really do hope Paul has the best of all possible results.

Regards Jeff

8 hours ago, Paul Edwards said:

Nick can I ask one stupid question...I am going to download again new versions of sp4 and all other recommended downloads I n this post.

As mentioned my Sim isn't connected to the net so I will use my connected computer and save download to an external HD before transferring.

Just to confirm There is no issue with this method?

...and I should be prompted for my validation key at some point during the download?

Regards and a big thanks for your help.

Paul 

Your proposed method is absolutely fine. Before British Telecom finally brought my village a credible broadband

speed, I used to download files at work, with their permission and bring them home on a memory stick.

Once a product has been installed, there will be no further request for a product key, as this is stored in the

Windows Registry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeff & Nick,

Well I took your advice and upgraded HD to 1TB and also increased RAM to 16GB.    The Tech was here yesterday for 5 hours and followed Jeff's extensive instructions to a 'T'.

The news isn't good - it's GREAT.

All systems are go - finally.   I was lucky to find a local guy who runs a part time business from home so he will be very handy in the future.   Whilst I can't say too much about his background - lets just say he is over qualified.   I had supplied him with a print out of this post so he could read up and study it before he attended.

He followed Jeff's instructions and there were only 2 issues that arouse.  Firstly - despite 3 downloads from 3 different ORBX servers, SP4 would only get about half way before displaying a corrupt file fault (don't ask me what it was).   Luckily, when I purchased the program - I ordered the back-up discs and this method did install correctly.   Nick - maybe worth investigating further as the Global download from the same server installed without fault.   The next issue that arouse after everything installed was when we opened FTX Central - a red error message appeared 'Terrain.cfg - (Landmasses)'....or similar. This one file still gave me all the same issues I had previously - so at this stage, I was feeling quite deflated.   

Here's where I am glad I had a tech (and the right one) on site.   He quickly found a solution posted in the ORBX forums - and in an instant I have full functionality of my sim...FINALLY.   Melbourne airport, Australia & Global all working as I believe they should be.  I must admit, then the error message came up - I really thought 'I've had enough'.

I have one more question to ask (and I hope this will be the last for a while)... I still have the Blurry runway in Melbourne.   My tech explained (and It makes sense now) is as this is a higher quality stand alone program - my Radeon 4850 graphics cards (approx 1 Gb memory each) probably need an upgrade.   I am happy to do this (I've come this far).  I was wondering if you can suggest a good graphics card?   I am thinking of buy 2 x cards with 4Gb each as they are reasonably priced now - and the price difference as soon as you go bigger is considerable.   Whilst I am happy with what I have presently - I figure that cards 4 x faster will be better....is this correct?

I cannot thank-you both enough for getting me through this.   I really didn't think I would find a solution.   Nick, I know you're on the other side of the world - but if your ever in Melbourne, I owe you a drink.

Jeff - I am flabbergasted at that a complete stranger has taken the time to provide such detailed information (even I understood most of it) that really has been invaluable guide to fixing this issue.   To think that my first ever venture into any forum - someone like yourself has gone out of their way to help a newbie like me.   I am eternally grateful and only hope if you are ever in Melbourne you get in touch and allow me to buy you a drink or 3.

Thanks so much again.

Regards

Paul Edwards 

Hello Paul,

Thankyou for the kind words, I am glad that you have had a successful outcome, the fact that you can say "its Great" is very encouraging, the patient lived and is now looking forward to a healthy fulfilling life (so to speak).
It was my pleasure to make your very first foray into a support forum a pleasant and ultimately successful experience, I hope it will encourage you into the future and hopefully expand on your FS hobby with confidence, I'm sure Nick would have similar thoughts.

I'm also glad your tech guy could resolve the remaining errors that came up during Orbx reinstall, with available information here in the Forum.

Fear not about the blurry runways at YMML, this was an issue with (YMMLv1) and was somewhat addressed by (YMMLv2) (which I believe you have). YMMLv2 for a number of customers was still lower fidelity apron detail than a groundpoly type apron and runway. Orbx has been working very hard to rectify this with a third edition of Melbourne International Airport (YMMLv3) this new version looks superb and has the much desired sharp Runway & apron textures and markings.

It is at the moment still in the test phase but is slated for an August 2016 release, and minimal upgrade fee.

$9.99 upgrade fee for all existing YMML customers http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/118446-release-frenzy-in-august/?do=findComment&comment=1063963

There is no doubt that having a strong graphics card with a decent amount of V Ram will improve your ability to display the scenery at higher resolutions, but this is dependant on your Motherboard and Processor (CPU) capabilities. FSX does not directly benefit from the extreme high end graphics cards but a good mid to high end (spec) card will do a nice job. The CPU is where most of the FSX business is done, and if possible safely overclocking your CPU above 4Ghz will deliver stronger FSX performance. So if anything I would look at a CPU upgrade if possible (though I don't know what you have right now).

Most FSX'ers / P3D'ers will choose an Nvidia graphics card over an Radeon/ATI/AMD, (that is to say most but not all) some Radeon/ATI/AMD users have a very positive experience. But overwhelmingly FSX/P3D user base is Nvidia focussed. I have always had Nvidia cards and felt it was a better choice, there was/is a wider level of FlightSimulator support and information to squeeze every last bit of performance through innovation and supported utilities.

If you are looking for a suitable Graphics card replacement for your FSX needs, - for example: my sim is running an (Nvidia Gigabyte GTX770OC with 4Gb VRAM) it does a very nice job combined with an intel i74770 CPU overclocked to 4.6Ghz) (See my sig for specs) this specification is generations old so would nolonger be available for retail purchase, and although it works quite well with FSX if I had waited a few weeks I may well have bought a GTX780 instead. A GTX780 is all you really need for FSX IMHO, but its a matter of what's available and what you are willing to spend. (We Aussies all understand the AussieTax, right! and availability of new technologies). Nvidia 900 series cards should be widely available, a nice GTX970 is a great choice, but for a little more you could set your eyes on a GTX1070 or GTX1080, but check with your tech guy to see what suits your PC Hardware configuration. Nvidia make cards in a range of models within a Series / Model, Series being (200 400 500 600 not available or fully supported) (700 still available) (900 widely available) (1000 latest series). and Model being the incremental processing capabilities of each card 20 30 40 50 60 70 80 90   Don't look at anything less than 60 for the budget conscious, but a good starting point reasonably priced is 70 or 80 which deliver even better performance.

ie; don't choose GT, but rather choose a GTX, (very good 770 ) (even better 780 ) (better still 970) (ridiculous and expensive 980) (best for P3D and even FSX but pricey 1070) (Pricey cutting edge performance top of the range 1080). We need not go into Ti or Z models but should stick with a GTX7??  GTX9?? GTX10?? which suits your pocket and visual requirements. Many of these Nvidia cards depending on Brand will offer an (OC) overclocked version (straight-out-of-the-box) a performance improvement without even trying.

Most Higher end videocards these days will have minimum of 3 - 4Gb VRAM which will allow higher screen resolution and process throughput FPS whatnot.

Choose a single GPU type card, because FSX does not handle multiple GPUs very well, (infact performance might be worse) nor is it coded to take advantage of multiple cards in an SLI or AMD/Crossfire arrangement.

(I don't know if P3D likes dual cards or multiGPU, but if you were to head down the P3D road later on, it definitely utilises the higher end Graphics card, and can lessen the CPU burden by shifting CPU processes off to the GPU. Also don't forget 64bit sims are out there on the horizon somewhere, this is where more System Ram will come in handy as well.

It was also a great idea to upgrade your RAM capacity to 16Gb, it will allow you to run more stuff outside the FSX GUI environment, not forgetting that FSX is a 32bit program as is P3D, restricted by max 4Gb VAS (VirtualAddressSpace), and therefore additional RAM beyond 8Gb does not help FSX at all, the true benefit of more RAM is to the background programs and FSX utilities running at the same time. 8Gb system RAM is sufficient for an FSX system running in a 64bit Win/OS environment.

finally, who knows one day we might sit in a Melbourne Pub and enjoy a beer or two :).

Kind Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for another extensive reply.   I'm glad I asked as I was about to rush out and buy 2 new cards - never thought about my CPU.   Firstly my computer specs as follows:

Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.9GHz, 16GB ram, 64 bit windows 7, 1TB Solid state primary drive with 1TB Seconday Drive, and 2 x Radeon HD4850 (1 gb memory each) graphics cards which gives it the ability to run 5 x monitors (4 from the cards and 1 on board.)

I assumed I needed new cards simply because since the new ORBX software successfully installed...the instances of 'invisible' planes / airport terminals has increased.   I know it's the hardware as if I switch same view to a smaller monitor (using 2 x 40" HD LED displays as main panels) - the correct view is present.   Unlike the software issues - I am not in a spin about this - most of the time the graphics work fine.

If I have to upgrade CPU as well / instead - happy to do so.   Like always - appreciate your input.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

To be honest your i72600K CPU should do a decent job, and with a moderate Overclock you can achieve better FSX performance. 4.0 - 4.2Ghz should be a safe & stable achievable OC. (As always - Overclocking is done at the users own risk, CPUs can have a shortened lifespan)

I'm guessing that you have a UEFI bios, as the generation of CPU and Motherboard offered this type of bios, the simplicity of this being that you can Overclock within the OS environment. ASUS Motherboards use a tool called AISuite to perform an automatic OC, I'm not sure what other branded Motherboards use. You can also perform an OverClock directly in your bios (Might be best to ask your tech guy do this for you). The thing you need to remember when Overclocking is keeping the CPU cool, the stock Intel heatsink and fan will be inadequate. For air cooling the cheapest solution would be a CoolerMaster "Hyper 212 Plus" or "Hyper 212 EVO" with a push / pull dual fan setup on the heatsink cooling fins. More expensive options would be Noctua (not sure what to recommend) CoolerMaster also make closed loop Liquid cooling, like the H90, H100, H110.

If you should choose to OverClock, cooling is absolutely essential for longevity, stability, & any achievable Overclock. RAM frequency and Bandwidth will also determine the performance limit of any Overclock, 1600Mhz - 1866Mhz hi speed low latency RAM will give a better OC, standard 1333Mhz will be underclocked significantly.

On the Graphics card side starting from 600 / 700 series onward, the Nvidia cards support multiple monitor setups HDMI & (DP 1.2 MST) Display Port also supports daisy chain connection via hub & "Nvidia Surround". http://www.displayport.org/cables/driving-multiple-displays-from-a-single-displayport-output/

Regards Jeff

Thanks again Jeff...

My tech said the same thing about the CPU doing a decent job...I will try the graphics card options (don't want to start mucking around with cpu unless I have to)

I have taken on board your advice re Nvidia cards - the only confusing bit is the GTX960 series is about $150 cheaper than the GTX 970 - which adds up when you're buying 2.

Just don't know if there is a huge difference as they are both 900 series?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

As FSX does not benefit from Dual card or Dual GPU the better option would to choose a GTX970 (if it fits into your case and is supported by Motherboard and power supply requirements) the GTX970 supports multi monitor connection. You only need one Graphics card compare 960 & 970, hands down 970 will perform better for the price and you only need one. http://www.geforce.com/hardware/compare-buy-gpus

Compare Specs GTX960 / GTX970 - Aussie prices will differ these are from Nvidia, Other Branded product prices will also vary.

ef2fa88ec51fbdcc58414fc97eca5af3.jpg

d2b5b9a0186d9fc9c73c36a79d2e961d.jpg

Thanks Again Jeff....

If I only need 1 - then happy to go up to even 980 series.  The only thing that confuses me by just buying 1 is at present I have 2 graphics cards as mentioned.  Each card supports 2 monitors (actually 1 supports 3 - I have a dual head2 go matrox adapter coming out of 1 port going to my 2 big monitors I use for main display out of cockpit).   Both cards have 2 dvi outputs each.   3 monitors I use for all my instruments / display in cockpit and 1 output as previously mentioned for Matrox adapter.

I am worried if I only had 1 card - there would be insufficient dvi outputs to run all the monitors individually.   From what I have read - I cannot utilize the Display Port/s on cards as my monitors and Matrox aren't compatible.

Plus - if I only buy 1 card, does that only increase my graphics memory from the current 2 GB to only 4 GB?

I hope this all makes sense what I'm trying to say.

Regards 

Paul

Hi Paul,

The GTX960 & GTX970 GTX980 (NvidiaReference card) have, 1x Dual link DVI-I, 1x HDMI, 3x DisplayPort connections. It is a shame that your monitors do not support HDMI (from what you describe they are only DVI/VGA compatible) as you can conceivably connect 3 HDMI monitors via a DP/HDMI adaptor cable/s, enabling connections to each Monitor via the 3 DisplayPort connections, you would also have a spare HDMI port and a spare DVI-I port for connecting additional monitors. I would imagine you could dispense with Matrox Head2Go hub and use "Nvidia Surround" option which will do the same thing with better performance I would imagine.

Look around at different Brands, they have different configurations for cooling, OC specs, port options, & memory specs.

I can recommend Gigabyte Windforce, but there are so many other choices out there you may find one particular card more suitable than another particularly with a factory OverClocked / SuperClocked card, with 4Gb+ memory specification. The GTX970/s & GTX980/s have 4GB GDDR5 memory which is all you really need for FSX even in a MultiMonitor setup.

So, 5x potential monitor connections from the back of one card, depending what port options are available from the back of the monitors.

3x DP monitors connected to each DP / or if you have HDMI monitor cable via DP/HDMI adaptor cables.

1x HDMI for direct HDMI connection to an additional monitor or as (spare if you wish)

1x DVI-I for direct DVI connection to an additional monitor, or as (Spare if you wish)

DisplayPort is the highest bandwidth option, fastest speed, highest Res connection type, followed by HDMI, then DVI-I /DVI-D, and lastly VGA/15pin.

(One small correction - while DP is the fastest Graphics card port, there is one faster type. If you had a Current model ASUS motherboard with "Thunderbolt" port, you can daisy chain all your monitors through this single port, it is the Fastest port currently available)

Unfortunately, while I do know about MatroxHead2Go, I have never set one up or know enough about connections and config requirements for this type of setup.

a4754adbdb567495f608f45609326663.jpg

99d8f994dd2d1243c4b1658517454752.jpg

Thanks Heaps Jeff (again).

Pic below tells a story

I am going to put my thinking cap on a little.  My 2 x 40" monitors (which now take up the front windows) are new and do have HDMI connection (I will try and post pic those ....inside_sim.jpg

...in a different post) They are connected via the Dual head2 go adapter which connects to a dvi port on one of my cards.  (I would be happy to sell this if it wasn't required).

The 3 monitors you see in the set up above are what I use for all my instrument displays etc in my sim.   All these monitors have Dvi-D plugs on them - but never had an issue with the graphics dropping out on these as I'm only running instruments.  Thinking out aloud - my stupid question is - can I keep one of my old cards (that has 2 Dvi-D outputs) and run 2 of the above monitors, and install say a new GTX970 for my 2 new 40" monitors and 1 of the above monitors?  Is it that simple - or would the graphic cards conflict?  I hope you get the idea of where I'm trying to go with this.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

Nice setup you have there, puts mine to absolute shame!

I see the 3 instrument monitors in your pic but don't see the 2x40" forward monitors displaying your scenery.(oops you just posted another picture). I feel we are now entering into unfamiliar territory with regards to the graph/display requirements & possible upgrade options. I would imagine there would be a conflict created by having / keeping one of your old Radeon cards and drivers for said card active, whilst trying to also support a new Nvidia GTX970 / 980 with its own drivers in the same machine trying to communicate with FSX at the same time (don't know how that would work with FSX ancient coding). 

I see where you are going with your train of thought, so essentially you need 2 forward displays connected HDMI or DP/HDMI adaptors (using Nvidia Surround) then 3 instrument panel displays into the DVI port you could conceivably connect these via adaptor to HDMI x1 or utilize the DualHead2Go for the second and third instrument displays all conceivably running off the single GTX970 / 980.

I really don't have any first hand knowledge if this would work. I wonder if you can work out a deal with your tech guy or hardware supplier to purchase, with a view of testing the connection theory, if unsuccessful then return for credit or resort to 2x Nvidia cards or 2x Radeon cards of a much Higher spec, which may or may not have the required number of DVI ports as on your old cards.

There seems to be a manufacturer trend these days toward newer port technology, hence earlier model cards had more DVI and one HDMI no DP. Consequently the new generation cards have shifted focus to DP multi & HDMI, expecting that users would naturally upgrade their display hardware to enable connections to the highest level ports 3x DP's & 1xHDMI, and a nod to old tech with the inclusion of a single DVI-I port. You will notice that VGA ports are nolonger available on higher end graphics cards no matter which brand. Some brands cater to more DVI & HDMI onboard ports, you will need to research the possible Configurations/Brands offering DP but definitely nomore VGA.

With a kind of after thought, (just spitballing ideas really) I wonder if you could use the Motherboard Onboard graphics chip for your 2 instrument panels through Dualhead2Go, there should be an available DVI-D or DVI-I, HDMI, VGA, port's available on the PC's back panel. You could even utilize one Graphics card port for instrument display if there were not enough ports on PC's back panel, this would free your new PCI-E 16x graphics Card GTX970/980 to display the scenery through your 2x40" forward displays using DP-HDMI adaptors into each DP on the card, leaving spare HDMI & DVI-I ports on the card, (go for the GTX980 if the price is right).

Oh buggar LOL now I'm confused, I'll owe you a beer if you can make head or tail of this post.

Regards Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that....yes the sim is good - way too advanced for me (although I have no problems flying it)...I only went this way because the price was too hard to resist.  I figured I could learn as I go (my first mistake).

Again, another in depth post - it worries me that if you're trying to get your head around this - then I have no hope.   Having said that - I think I will apply the KISS principle...nice and simple.

For me - the easiest solution is to buy 2 identical cards so there's no conflict and my displays can be accommodated.  Considering I have been happy with 6 year old 1GB raedon cards...Any upgrade would be great.

As I am not a high tech user (and as mentioned happy to now) does the following make sense...

If 1 x GTX970 card would have done the job....if I purchased 2 x GTX 960 (mainly due to cost) would that 'share the load' and give me similar results? Whilst the cost of 2 x 960 cards is achievable - 2 x 970's become a little pricey...and maybe overkill.

I know its insurance for the future...but as the sim is stand alone, I will only ever be updating it with scenery etc.   Having said that - I don't want to buy junk and regret it.  As usual your opinion greatly valued.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

No worries about my head, I never use the K.I.S.S. method for making big decisions it usually goes wrong, I like the RESEARCH method it just takes longer.  I'm just trying to help you get the best bang for your buck. Technology upgrades can be a fickle beast, seemingly giving in one area and taking away in others. Perfect example is the newer card port designation, not so much of a problem if your monitors have native DP connections, a little more difficult if HDMI/DVI and almost impossible if HDMI/VGA. Gone...... like the proverbial VHS, Vinyl records, and soon to be CD/DVD.

The point is, there are no real comparisons to make between your current level Radeon 4850 and an Nvidia equivalent. If you wanted to go with 2x Radeons with much higher specification just to keep your existing DVI-D type pack plate connections (ATI/Radeon are less expensive for higher spec) I see no real issues there, though I have no idea what level of Radeon/ATI to suggest, as said before I have never owned one let alone investigated their use for FS, (shame on me I just followed the crowd toward the Nvidia logo).

Using my GTX770 as a baseline and knowing what it delivers in the mid spectrum, looking at the Nvidia comparison chart above @post ID:53, shows that a GTX960 is not as strong performer as a GTX770 by quite a margin, but the GTX970 well out performs the GTX770 and GTX960. If the cost of having 2x GTX960's outweighs the performance improvements over and above your current Radeon 2x 4850's and still allows all needed connections, then that would be reasonable purchase.

If you choose to stick with a pair of higher spec Radeon/ATI cards, that have the back plate connectors you need, making sure you can at least achieve a comparative performance with Nvidia's GTX960 or even my GTX770 then that is a good choice also.
(See below TomsHardware link for comparison chart N vs R current spec, and your existing level cards)

I found an interesting Toms Hardware comparison chart, Nvidia vs Radeon http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html if you look down the list your current 2x Radeon 4850's are the equivalent of Nvidia's 8800gtx/9800gtx (very old tech)

The possible equivalents to the GTX970 of todays hardware would be a Radeon 390. 
GTX960 equivalent would be a Radeon 280 or 285
So If you went with Nvidia, 2x GTX960's would be a vast improvement over your current GPU specification. (cheaper & you can still hook up to DualHead2Go and 2x40" forward displays using DVI and HDMI  

As an important side note: Before purchasing any new card, be very sure that your system meets all the requirements. It would be best to check that your Motherboard has the correct PCIE-E 16x slots & bios support for these new Gen3 cards. And Graphics card to PSU power supply rating supporting 2 cards, with required pin connectors from the PSU. Also as your current Radeon 4850's are significantly smaller/shorter and of an older generation than a Radeon 280 or an Nvidia GTX960 at around 24cm in length / 30-40mm wide check that you have enough room in your case and between the PCI-E16x slots.

Thanks Jeff

Invaluable info as usual.  I am starting to get my head around all this now.  As you said I am running very old technology - which for the most part I have been happy with, so any upgrade should be an improvement.   I have been happy with my Matrox Dualhead2go and its easy to configure (plus I just exchanged the unit as the first unit only supported DP and not Dvi-d....if I only knew grrrr lol).

The important side note you posted was something I didn't think about...many thanks.

I will let you know the outcome.

Kind Regards

Paul

Hi Jeff,

After taking everything you say on board and doing some reasearch  - especially after that Tomshardware heirachy order, I am pretty confident that I will go for the 'Gigabyte G1 Gaming' Radeon R9-380X 4GB.   On that list it sits just below the GTX970 but above the 960.   But as I have to buy 2 of these - the $279 pricetag makes it very attractive.   Considering what I have presently have - I don't consider my self a hard core gamer...and at my age, I figure any improvement on current will be great.   If the specs / measurements are compatible with my computer - I think this is the way to go.   Interested to hear your thoughts?

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

(Short post this time LOL :o :lol: :D)

That sounds like a wise choice, considering all the requirements, and that it seems to address your system setup & port requirements. Hopefully it/they will sit comfortably within your PCcase, and have access to the necessary power. The Gigabyte R9-380X should be a vast improvement over your 2x meagre spec Radeon 4850's. Gigabyte Windforce cooling technology should see that your cards are quiet and cool. The 380X specification should give you all the graphical/visual improvement you are looking to achieve. The price sounds very good in comparison to the Nvidia equivalent. Don't forget to run the installation disk updating (Catalyst drivers) for your new cards.

Regards Jeff

Archived