CAC8 and Plan-G

I installed this new scenery and tried to rebuild my Plan-G database but it does not show up.

Any hints on what I'm missing or why it won't load to the Plan-G database?  It shows up in FSX without problem.

Very nice work and love the animated guys on the dock :)

@BrettT, Yes, I have rebuilt the database several times adding various paths to the "other scenery locations" setting but it does not show up in the airport list.

@TheGreeToad, I can't find it the airport list at all to add it to a plan.  I can live without the map if I can add it to a plan.  Did you need to specify anything special for other scenery location?

I've never added anything to other scenery location. You just need to point Plan-G to the folder where the fsx.exe is located, and to the correct folder for the scenery.cfg, i.e. "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX". Did you perhaps point it to the scenery.cfg file that is located in the same folder as the fsx.exe? That would be wrong, since this is just a backup.

27 minutes ago, TheGreenToad said:

I've never added anything to other scenery location. You just need to point Plan-G to the folder where the fsx.exe is located, and to the correct folder for the scenery.cfg, i.e. "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX". Did you perhaps point it to the scenery.cfg file that is located in the same folder as the fsx.exe? That would be wrong, since this is just a backup.

Thank you, Hans.  This is a good trick to know.

The airport facility file used by CAC8 is a minor modification of the one that comes with FTX PNW. It's very basic, just 2 starting points, 2 water runways and the 'airport' info. If there is another attribute that Plan G is looking for, let me know and perhaps I can add it if it does not interfere. For what it's worth, my understanding is that CAC8 would be considered a water aerodrome as the words are used in UK / Canadian English.  Airports are a subset of Aerodromes; that is, there are Aerodromes that are not Airports and I think CAC8 is in this category.

In Canadian waters,  areas that do not have all the facilities available at places like Nanaimo may be designated as Seaplane Bases. An example is CAG8, Pender Harbour Seaplane Base.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerodrome

Hi Martin,

The chart above is very interesting!  Can you figure out what scenery has added CAM7? 

I've not been able to find any real world reference to CAM7, and furthermore, unless I'm completely nuts, what's shown in the map as CAM7 is actually CAC8 Area B. In other words, whatever scenery is adding CAM7 will conflict with the CAC8 Service Pack; in fact, it probably conflicts with CAC8 right now. I have confirmed that a clean install with only  the default airports and FTX PNW does not include a CAM7 airport.

Hi Martin,

I have checked my new copy of the Canada Aerodrome Supplement published by Nav Canada (the definitive reference) and I find no CAM7.  http://products.navcanada.ca/Products/Water-Aerodrum-Supplement

The My Traffic folks must have made it up. Do you know if there is an easy way to disable this file, and if so, can you give me some specifics so I can mention it in the User Guide?

1 hour ago, mars03 said:

In Plan-G you must tick the box "waterlandings" under map. Then you will see CAC8.

Thanks Martin, haven't found that one yet!

24 minutes ago, Larry_R said:

The My Traffic folks must have made it up.

As far as I know they've added several fictional seaplane bases to be able to create more seaplane traffic.

1 hour ago, mars03 said:

You must rename this file: AF2_CAM7.bgl  to  AF2_CAM7.bgl.OFF  in the MyTraffic Scenery-folder ! That's all.

Thanks Martin!

Added to the UG for the service pack.

Archived