Advice with 'Fatal Errors'

Caluma65

Good Evening,

I'm looking for some advice relating to 'Fatal Errors' occuring mid-flight.

I wasn't happy with the scenery I was using and so made the move to Orbx scenery about 6 months ago.  I was amazed with the quality and difference and it felt like a whole new platform.  I completed a full uninstall of all my FSX software and the re-installed FSX only this time installing FTX Global, Base, open LC and FTX Scotland.  The only other software I added in addition to this was Aerosoft Dublin and a Just Flight 757 aircraft.

Things ran smoothly for a while but recently the vast majority of my flight are resulting in my system crashing mid-flight, always displaying the message 'fatal error'.  For example a flew 4 short (1 hour) flights today and 3 of them resulted in system crash with this error.

I bought a new system last year specifically looking for better performance and in general, performance has been greatly improved.  I get good frame rates most places and it seems my system is more than capable of handling this but these constant crashes are ruining my enjoyment of the sim

Does anyone have any tips, ideas or has anyone experienced this before?  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thanks.

Ps. Please fine my system details in my signature.  Cheers.

Calum

Hi,

Is your fatal error a blue screen (BSOD) ?

If so, you need to know what file (driver) caused the crash.  For that I am using Blue Screen View program ; http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

This application will tell you what file (driver) is causing your crash. Once you know that, replace the faulty driver with a new one.  Also, ask yourself, what did you installed since the beginning of the crashes ?

I had some blue screen crashes lately, and the culprit was my new network driver. Reverted back to previous version to cure the problem.

Mike

12 minutes ago, Mikelab6 said:

Hi,

Is your fatal error a blue screen (BSOD) ?

If so, you need to know what file (driver) caused the crash.  For that I am using Blue Screen View program ; http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

This application will tell you what file (driver) is causing your crash. Once you know that, replace the faulty driver with a new one.  Also, ask yourself, what did you installed since the beginning of the crashes ?

I had some blue screen crash lately, and the culprit was my new network driver. reverted to previous version to cure the problem.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what a blue screen crash is?  My screen didn't turn blue if it is as simple as that.

I don't think I have installed anything else since the installation period.

I will try to download this program to see if that helps.  Will it tell me the fault now - even though I have closed down the simulator?  Sorry, I'm not so technical.

Calum

21 minutes ago, Ziggy said:

Hi,

Check your windows logs to find out what module is crashing the sim

Have

you you tried rebuilding the FSX.cfg?

Hi Ziggy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm not very technical so wouldn't have a clue how to rebuild my cfg.  How do I check my logs?

Cheers,

Calum

Calum, check your fsx.cfg to make sure you have the high memory fix line added.  Here is part of my [GRAPHICS] see HIGHMEMFIX=1 has been added.

You can find your fsx.cfg flie via      C:>users>your name>Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX>fsx.cfg

[GRAPHICS]
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
D3D10=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
ForceFullScreenVSync=0
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1

Also you might type "Cleanmgr" into your search bar above the start button and clean up your temporary files that might be there.

Regards

Ken

2 hours ago, Caluma65 said:

I'm afraid I'm not sure what a blue screen crash is?  My screen didn't turn blue if it is as simple as that.

I don't think I have installed anything else since the installation period.

I will try to download this program to see if that helps.  Will it tell me the fault now - even though I have closed down the simulator?  Sorry, I'm not so technical.

Hi,

Blue screen crash will turn you screen blue with a message displayed.   If it's not a blue screen crash, the application I've talked about won't help you.

As Ken suggestion, check if your fsx.cfg has the HIGHMEMFIX=1 in it...

PS: Backup you fsx.cfg file first (copy the file to another folder), before doing anything, and try deleting it after as Ziggy said (the sim will build a new one). If the sim crash again, you will know it's not because of your fsx.cfg file, so you will be able to copy back your backed up file back to your sim folder...

Are you using FSX or FSX Steam Edition ?  If you are using FSX, you must replace a file "UiautomationCore.dll" with an another version of it to avoid FSX crashes. Search for it on the Web with FSX in your title and you will find it. That file is in folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X or C:\Programmes\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

On 7/4/2016 at 0:05 AM, Ken Terry said:

Calum, check your fsx.cfg to make sure you have the high memory fix line added.  Here is part of my [GRAPHICS] see HIGHMEMFIX=1 has been added.

You can find your fsx.cfg flie via      C:>users>your name>Appdata>Roaming>Microsoft>FSX>fsx.cfg

[GRAPHICS]
AC_SELF_SHADOW=0
AIRCRAFT_REFLECTIONS=1
AIRCRAFT_SHADOWS=1
ALLOW_SHADER_30=1
COCKPIT_HIGH_LOD=1
D3D10=1
EFFECTS_QUALITY=2
ForceFullScreenVSync=0
GROUND_SHADOWS=0
HIGHMEMFIX=1

Also you might type "Cleanmgr" into your search bar above the start button and clean up your temporary files that might be there.

Regards

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful post.  It is very much appreciated.  

Unfortunately I cannot seem to locate my fsx.cfg file using the route that you advised.  I have no 'app data' option and indeed no 'roaming' option using this route and no likely alternative.  Could this file be in my 'Program (86) files?

I should mention that it is the normal version of FSX i use and my operating system is Windows 7.  Thanks again for your help.  Any additional advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Calum

(Cheers Richard, you beat me to it by seconds)

Hi Calum,

I sure hope your FSX installation is not located in the protected OS folder "Program Files (x86)" this will cause problems with file and folder permission, read/writes.

(To find your FSX.cfg)

Please make sure you open the windows browser, from the menu select : Tools > Folder Options > View tab > place a bullit in "show hidden files folders and drives" > click Apply & OK buttons then you will be able to find the below directory where "FSX.cfg" resides. 

For FSX.cfg look in this directory   >  C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX        yourusername is the Administrator account username.

If you have windows UAC switched on please turn it off, it can and will interfere with installations and permissions.

If you are experiencing sim crashes while using the FSX menus in flight, it may well be that UIAutomationCore.dll needs to be placed in your FSX installation root folder,  http://www.orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/15478-resolved-menu-bar-crash-win7-64bit-vista-64bit-fsx-crashing/?do=findComment&comment=137308 read Tim Harris post ID:6 for DL and instructions.

If you are experiencing OOM's (Out Of Memory) error crashes you might consider FSUIPC4 payware version, (although I think the free version FSUIPC works to this end as well), which while it will not solve OOM crashes it will give you some advanced warning if you are running out of available VAS (Virtual Address Space) of the 4Gb allocated to 32bit MS FSX running in a 64bit OS environment.  

Archived