More coastal wall morphing

Jack Sawyer

Installed PAHO last night and Pago Pago this morning.

As I fly the coastal walls seem to try to resolve themselves but they don't  But in one shot in Pago you can see I have clear grant but morphing green walls.

EKeOXtn.jpg

sLXmGub.jpg

FlYoOI1.jpg

pMsG9na.jpg

Hi Jack,

there's nothing unusual in your screenshot, it's how FSX/P3D has displayed textures on steep slopes since day one. The display engine drapes each landclass texture sheet top-down over a fixed area, like a rubber sheet, which does cause that texture "smearing" on steep slopes. It's less noticeable if one has matching terrain mesh and shorelines, as in the FTX Regions. However, even there, or like here with the steep volcanic cliffs of PNG, you'll find locations that show this issue.

The only way to avoid it is to create custom 3D models, which use a different texturing technique, as applied in our Monument Valley and Yosemite add-ons. However, that's a very complex method and thus obviously only a local solution for specific landmarks.

Cheers, Holger 

4 minutes ago, Holger Sandmann said:

Hi Jack,

there's nothing unusual in your screenshot, it's how FSX/P3D has displayed textures on steep slopes since day one. The display engine drapes each landclass texture sheet top-down over a fixed area, like a rubber sheet, which does cause that texture "smearing" on steep slopes. It's less noticeable if one has matching terrain mesh and shorelines, as in the FTX Regions. However, even there, or like here with the steep volcanic cliffs of PNG, you'll find locations that show this issue.

The only way to avoid it is to create custom 3D models, which use a different texturing technique, as applied in our Monument Valley and Yosemite add-ons. However, that's a very complex method and thus obviously only a local solution for specific landmarks.

Cheers, Holger 

Thanks Holger but I have never seen this before.  When I had just FSX it was fine, I'm almost finished loading all my Orbx add-ons into P3D but I don't ever recall seeing this, as I call it "morphing".  I mean it changes and melts as I fly near it.  This is the first time.  It's the worst right out of EGFF, I take off and head to the lighthouse and it's a kaleidoscope of colors changing and blending and melting as I fly near it.

It may be so as you describe but I have never seen it since I had FSX loaded with Orbx and I'm seeing it only on coastlines.

I'm going to delete the shaders like Ben mentioned in that thread but I just posted about that string of characters you have to type into a DOS box because I'm not sure what to type or what I'll see in the DOS box when it finishes, and I still have to install Vector.   Maybe if someone else could confirm this, I can't make a video as I don't have that kind of gear and wouldn't know how to anyway.

Oh well.

And thanks for your help, I really appreciate it a lot.

Best regards,

Jack

Archived