FTXC "Error switching region" after migration; restore.bat missing

theFiddler

Hello,

starting FTX Central (2.1.5988.3534) for the first time after the migration, I am greeted with a bright red warning saying

"Error switching region.
There was an error switching your region.
Access to the path ....\ORBX\Scripts\Backup\restore.bat is denied
"

The path exists and is perfectly accessible (it's not even on the same partition as Win7); the real problem seems to be that restore.bat is not (any more) in that folder.

Does this mean that

• I now can no longer switch regions manually (because, as per design, the option is no longer available in FTXC after the migration),
  • and that the fancy new auto-switching will not work either?

Can I perhaps get a copy of restore.bat somewhere and simply drop it into that folder, to fix this issue?
(I found copies in other backup folders, but they are 3-4 years old and not identical anyway...)

Thanks for all tips.

There is already an active thread about this and there has been no response from anyone who would know about it. So I wouldn't hold out too much hope of an answer.

What I would say is this. Re-download the latest Libraries(1.2 Gb) and the restore.bat will re-appear. With luck it will cure it on the first pass. If not, it will work on the second attempt. That has been my experience.

Thanks, Ron, your prompt reply is appreciated!

There is already an active thread about this

OK, I had been focussing on all the PMM (Post-Migration Mess) threads, and not (yet) on FTXC-related issues...

Orbx: Can we please have a "central clearing thread" * (possibly locked) where all the general PMM-related issues and the "official" statements about it are concentrated in one place? Trawling through all the case-specific threads is very cumbersome, and one easily misses something. Not to mention that you (i.e. Orbx team) have to repeat the same info (eg. "AU/NZ fixes") over and over again...
I am aware of this one -- is this intended to have that role in the future perhaps?

I now did another search and indeed, there are several threads (going back to at least last autumn) about this issue. Advice ranges from uninstalling certain Microsoft Windows KBnnnnnn patches (!) to re-installing this and that, but nothing that I'd consider a viable general solution (if such a beast exists; if not, we ought to be told that at least...)

re-download the latest Libraries(1.2 Gb) and the restore.bat will re-appear.

Well, it certainly is a thought, but re-(!)downloading 1.2 GB and then re-install (to ca. 4.5 GB) to get a <20 kB file back seems a bit of overkill...

It seems however that "just" getting a copy of that BAT from somewhere else may not help either: the actual content of the (differing) ancient copies I found in my own setup seems to depend on the specific installations at a specific time...

Thanks again for your help!

The reason I say re-download the libs is that I assume you went through the automatic download via FTXC. You can't tell what else has been missed. I don't know what you mean by 4.5Gb.

Anyway you must do what you think best. Good luck.

Ron, yours was good advice, and I am re-downloading right now!

(And yes I was indeed hit by the automatic download/update before.)

4.5 GB is the harddisk space which was used by the update/migration after installation (i.e. after expanding the downloaded files).

Cheers,

The Fiddler

On 19/06/2016 at 10:38 PM, JJJackson said:

I have downloaded the Libsfile several times and installed it, but no solution to the problem.

Jack

the Swede in Spain

I'm starting to think there isn't really a 'problem'. If I fly a different region without sticking my nose into FTXC I don't get to see the error. (Of course not!) Yet the areas I fly in seem to be OK.(I'm not getting messed up scenery) If, after several sessions I go into Central, up pops the red devil. Check out the relevant folder and sure enough, no restore.bat. Close Central, return to folder and it has reappeared. So I've decided not to worry about it any more and just fly where I want and let FTXC do it's thing undisturbed. Doubtless it is an error in programming somewhere along the line, but it's probably just a glitch.

Now, where's my flying helmet and goggles?

2 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

I'm starting to think there isn't really a 'problem'. If I fly a different region without sticking my nose into FTXC I don't get to see the error. (Of course not!) Yet the areas I fly in seem to be OK.(I'm not getting messed up scenery) If, after several sessions I go into Central, up pops the red devil. Check out the relevant folder and sure enough, no restore.bat. Close Central, return to folder and it has reappeared. So I've decided not to worry about it any more and just fly where I want and let FTXC do it's thing undisturbed. Doubtless it is an error in programming somewhere along the line, but it's probably just a glitch.

Now, where's my flying helmet and goggles?

I agree with Ron.  Ignore the error and go fly.

Archived