Definitely not 'as real as it gets'...

birdguy

One thing about flight simulators that has always bug me since they began ai flights has been the parking.

This afternoon I started a flight from San Carlos to Monterey...just a short hop.  I like to start my flights with a cold aircraft in a parking space.  As I was about to start the engine of my Kodiak the default ai Mooney next to me started it's engine, backed up a bit, and then circled to taxi right through my airplane.

I have noticed this time and time again.  Invariably an ai aircraft starting to taxi will back up and then taxi through other aircraft and even buildings.

Is there no way to make them back up along the line from the parking space out to the taxiway without colliding into something?

I had kinda hoped P3D would have found a solution to this but they obviously haven't.

Noel

No sim will ever give 100% realism, but each new sim provides better realism over its predecessor.  I've had that too a few times, and I just accept it's one of the foibles of FSX/P3D; maybe the upcoming DT sim will fix that.  Introducing traffic collision avoidance should be very doable in software, but in a legacy sim like FSX it's maybe a lot more trouble than it's worth.  Progress tends to come with new products, not so much retrofitting old ones.

I doubt if I'll be getting anything newer than what I already have Jabble.  I've raised and nurtured with addons 11 flight simulators from FS3 to P3D and am too old to have a new baby move in with me.  I'll live with the anomaly.  Once we  start the simulator we re moving into a pretend world anyway.

Noel

I love the sim world where there is no FAA, we all have 1st class medicals, we get to fly almost anything we want as low as we want , the aircraft repairs, hangar storage, tie downs along with ambulance rides and hospital charges are free.

:wub:Who could ask for anything more:wub:

That's the way it was when I began my flying lessons in 1958 Dale.  I'd get into that tiny Luscombe and maybe not decide where I was going until I was airborne.  Perhaps a touch and go at Clear Lake or San Luis Reservoir.  No avionics, no radio, not even a starter motor.  You had to prop the thing which isn't that easy when you're standing on a float.  But I wouldn't trade those carefree flying days for the latest thing latest thing in GA aircraft with glass panels, filing flight plans,  FAA Service Stations, constant radio chatter, and all that comes with modern day flying.

The closest I came in today's world was about 15 years ago when I was going for a sailplane rating at Hobbs in a Schweizer 2-32  in Hobbs.  Once you released the winch cable you were on your own. Your primary instrument was a length of yarn taped to the nose just forward of the canopy.  We did have two way radio contact with the winch crew, but that was it.  Unfortunately that's when my glaucoma thingy got detected and I lost my medical.

Which brings up an interesting question.  Is there anyone else here whose first solo was in a float plane?  Most people transition from wheels to floats.  But like almost everything else in my life I always did it ass-backwards.

Noel

Archived