The future of quad installers

John Venema

33 minutes ago, akmatov said:

John posted this in the OP and I've been thinking, always a painful process.  Is this based on Orbx sales?  If not, how does Orbx know the FS used by it's customers?

FTX Central dials home each time you run it to check for patches and updates. It checks to see which sim(s) you have installed.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thx John, very interesting.  Was just curious, nothing negative.

Finally, having the new computer up to speed, I'll be sticking with FSXSE thorough a serious flight training retrain, a goal is the PMDG Boeing 737.  But before I spend any more money on anything other than Orbx scenery, due to it's comparability with P3D up to this point, I'll probably be going to P3D.  I'll have to have made a firm decision before plunking down $80 for a PMDG 737 + $100 for AoA Training + other goodies.   I'm usually a late adopter rather than a bleeding edge guy, but some many knowledgeable ppl have moved to P3D that I see it in my future. :)

42 minutes ago, akmatov said:

John posted this in the OP and I've been thinking, always a painful process.  Is this based on Orbx sales?  If not, how does Orbx know the FS used by it's customers?

I was wondering about this as well.

My read on it was that we are talking about Orbx products.  And when you install into a sim, after the internet activation the installers ask which sim it is being installed in...I sort of assumed that this info might be transmitted to Orbx, Flightsim Store or both.  But not sure on this of course.

It absolutely not possible for them to know where I spend my time given I have both FSX and P3Dv3+ active.

11 minutes ago, John Venema said:

FTX Central dials home each time you run it to check for patches and updates. It checks to see which sim(s) you have installed.

Well there you go then, I sort of thought this would make sense.  I just doesn't know where I spend my time.  Lately, 90% is with FSX as i rebuilt it, but shortly, it will be 100% P3Dv3 for a while then depending on airplanes other addons not compatible with P3D or ones I haven't paid to upgrade yet (which will be a slow process as I'm tapped out for money now with my new rig), I'll bounce back and forth at will.

It absolutely not possible for them to know where I spend my time given I have both FSX and P3Dv3+ active.

This is very interesting to me as that is what I think I would like to do.  Do you have to install the massive Orbx library into both or is there a way both can run off of one Orbx install.  Would prefer to keep as much space open on my SSD FSX drive.

4 minutes ago, akmatov said:

This is very interesting to me as that is what I think I would like to do.  Do you have to install the massive Orbx library into both or is there a way both can run off of one Orbx install.  Would prefer to keep as much space open on my SSD FSX drive.

You install each product through the installer into each sim.  Both sim drives are 7200 RPM SATA HD's not SSDs yet.

I have a 2 Terabyte drive dedicated to FSX which is quite full given it contains 100s of supporting products, aka utilities, tools, sketchup scenery making stuff texture backups for REX, UTX whatever like that.

I just bought a new 4 Terabyte drive for P3Dv3+ and all its related stuff...lots of room there.

One drive for each sim.  And then I have a disk image of each of those drives on two other drives...I learned the hard way years ago about loosing a drive and then trying to reinstall everything.  Backup, backup.

John whatever your plan is its all good - how long can you continue with all the work Orbx has done with each change of P3D without compensation - have to draw a line somewhere and I think you have been more than fair to date - thanks to the Orbx Team

I'm 100% P3Dv3 these days (and started with FS4), but after reading this entire thread of debate, I'm truly sad that all we are debating is yet another version of the same dang thing....  Whatever DTG does is a version of the same old engine. Period. We will have to pay for the new DLC "versions" we already bought.  Even John said it's using the same Global we already bought.....  it's simply another version of the same sim charged differently.

I miss the days when multiple sim engines were still developed, ie Flight Unlimited or FLY! as options, which I both loved!!  DTG is just the same old stuff, rehashed, and most likely breaking compatibility simply to sell DLC according to John and his massive amounts of product sold expectation.

Archived